Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

Bonsai styling videos 2 years 1 week ago #75759

• leatherback
  • leatherback's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
As a little heads-up: In this video I go through the process of creating a root-over-rock bonsai:

The following user(s) said Thank You: Si Guy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bonsai styling videos 2 years 1 week ago #75768

• Si Guy
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 18
Watched that yesterday, I think I will try this at some point. Thanks!
The following user(s) said Thank You: leatherback

Bonsai styling videos 2 years 1 week ago #75772

• jojo22
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 47
I didn't know about aluminum

Bonsai styling videos 2 years 1 week ago #75780

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

I didn't know about aluminum

Jay, you heard something new! My mission accomplished!
The following user(s) said Thank You: jojo22

Bonsai styling videos 1 year 11 months ago #75973

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

I was sure this one would be picked up, but it has fallen flat after an initial push. Ah well. Some calm images of an old arakawa bonsai, and the schocking rootwork I did to it.

Enjoy!

If you liked this one, a follow-up came online yesterday :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: FrankC, Si Guy

Bonsai styling videos 1 year 11 months ago #76392

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Youtube does not like me. My videos do not get picked up in the same way those of Herons bonsai do. Unfair I do not have a 100K following!

Ah well. BE gets the benefit of watching a small channel :)

I did some wiring and styling of juniper raw material into a young bonsai. No-one seems to care though :)

The following user(s) said Thank You: FrankC, Albas

Bonsai styling videos 1 year 11 months ago #76401

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1357
The Youtube logaritm picks up what people like. It does that by measuring their click frequency, how long they view, if they like, if they comment etc. But there are also a threashold. Youtube dont make money on people with less than 1000 subs so they dont promote those videos as much.

Those of my videos that really takes off is do that around 11 months after release. We work with seasonal activities and Youtube logaritm catches that. People search for that activitie when its getting into season again.

Basically, its not Youtube to decides if you get views or not. Its the users behaviours inerpretated by a logaritm.

Dont be dissapointed. You have almost 800 subs and that juniper vid got more than 500 views in two days. That is very good result after beeing on Youtube in less than 6 months.

I make vids beacuse I enjoy the process and it keeps me bussy. I share what I want not what the broad auddience like. Wednesday vid from my greenhouse has taken more than 6 hours to produce. And I know for sure after releasing 12 of them that they will not get more than 100 views within the first year and after that there are basically no interest for them. But I am not dissapointed. On saturday it is about koi pond. That video took less than 2 hours to produce, but will likelly attract 100 views the first week and continue increasing for a long time. But every time I release pond videos, I loose bonsai followers and vice verca. Cactii and succulents are the vids where I loose most subscribers, but I still continue making them.

When I share knowledge and experience gathered for 40 years, I loose subscribers, when I just play around with things I am a complete beginner in, I gain subscribers. I could easily shoose to just do silly stuff without any knowledge and gain views and subscribers faster than I do today.

Do you use Youtube analytics? There are a lot of data to interpretate what the audience like and what they dont like. Where the traffic comes from, when most viewers stoped viewing a lot of other interesting data that can help you to determing how to shange to attract more views or subs.

Bonsai styling videos 1 year 10 months ago #76406

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

When I share knowledge and experience gathered for 40 years, I loose subscribers, when I just play around with things I am a complete beginner in, I gain subscribers. I could easily shoose to just do silly stuff without any knowledge and gain views and subscribers faster than I do today.

Do you use Youtube analytics? There are a lot of data to interpretate what the audience like and what they dont like. Where the traffic comes from, when most viewers stoped viewing a lot of other interesting data that can help you to determing how to shange to attract more views or subs.

yup, starting to see the same pattern. The more content you put forward, the more people leave your channel. Do something silly (Watch out for my blue japanese maple video this weekend) I see more people liking it.

I have spent a bit of time trying to understand YT statistics, and to be honest.. It does not make sense to me. The juniper video attracted almost all 500 views in the first 3 hours. Then views dropped to a handfull per hour, from one minute to the next. Some strange YT thresholding there.

The video that came online today will not draw in any views because it is rubbish but I still had it sitting there :). Do not watch my elm styling video.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tropfrog

Last edit: Post by leatherback.

Bonsai styling videos 1 year 10 months ago #76408

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1357
Unfortunately your next vid with premiere in the middle of tge night will proboably have less views than your last one. In the chronology it comes after one allready released by you and in most users flow are allready below 20 or 200 other vids. So subscribers easily miss it. Premiere on a time people are more likelly to be active on Youtube render the oposire respons. More people view the first hour. Unless you are targeting americans, I would suggest to put vids on more convinient times. And off cource never upload a vid with premiere with another one between upload and premiere.

Bonsai styling videos 1 year 10 months ago #76412

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Unfortunately your next vid with premiere in the middle of tge night will proboably have less views than your last one. In the chronology it comes after one allready released by you and in most users flow are allready below 20 or 200 other vids. So subscribers easily miss it. Premiere on a time people are more likelly to be active on Youtube render the oposire respons. More people view the first hour. Unless you are targeting americans, I would suggest to put vids on more convinient times. And off cource never upload a vid with premiere with another one between upload and premiere.

Thank you for the headsup. Stupid YT form that makes it sooo easy to swap morning and afternoon! I intended of course to premiere at 1PM EU time!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tropfrog