opinion on true age of a tree

• simplysaid
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 54

opinion on true age of a tree was created by simplysaid

Posted 7 years 8 months ago #24780
I found this article that is selling a Ginko and I was wondering if anyone could give me an opinion on it.
Thanks
by simplysaid

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic opinion on true age of a tree

Posted 7 years 8 months ago #24781
I'd say that's a 1 year old cutting. The mother plant will have been older :)

The price is insane. You can buy my 25 year old Ginkgo from me for that price (which was neglected for many years so it didn't grow much, but it is 25 years old)
Last Edit:7 years 8 months ago by Auk
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Auk.

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 7 years 8 months ago #24784

Auk wrote: I'd say that's a 1 year old cutting.

Probably not even a year old, but a cutting from this year. let's compare, these are 2 yo, $ 12,00:

www.ebay.com/itm/Ginkgo-biloba-2-yr-tree-/272335664226

• simplysaid
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Replied by simplysaid on topic opinion on true age of a tree

Posted 7 years 8 months ago #24785
truly a shame. So many scams out there of over priced material. I would say that the original add is for a 1-2 year old. But I'm not sure on the growth rate of Ginko, and the conditions it was grown in.
I buy pre Bonsai from the guy who actually does Bonsai and teaches it, and he's pretty expensive. But I've gotten great material and service from him. He's willing to help with trees for free, if you just bring them in. Loves to talk about Bonsai, and will give his honest opinion, even if you didn't ask for it. But you can't look past his passion.
by simplysaid

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 7 years 8 months ago #24787

simplysaid wrote: I buy pre Bonsai from the guy who actually does Bonsai and teaches it, and he's pretty expensive. But I've gotten great material and service from him. He's willing to help with trees for free, if you just bring them in. Loves to talk about Bonsai, and will give his honest opinion, even if you didn't ask for it. But you can't look past his passion.

When I visited our club's exhibition, I was impressed by the progress it has made in a year time. One reason is that almost every meeting, a bonsai maser is invited, who looks at the trees, gives advice and helps wire, shape and carve. When I see his trees I know I'm not quite there yet :)
by Auk

• simplysaid
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Posted 7 years 8 months ago #24801

Auk wrote:

simplysaid wrote: I buy pre Bonsai from the guy who actually does Bonsai and teaches it, and he's pretty expensive. But I've gotten great material and service from him. He's willing to help with trees for free, if you just bring them in. Loves to talk about Bonsai, and will give his honest opinion, even if you didn't ask for it. But you can't look past his passion.

When I visited our club's exhibition, I was impressed by the progress it has made in a year time. One reason is that almost every meeting, a bonsai maser is invited, who looks at the trees, gives advice and helps wire, shape and carve. When I see his trees I know I'm not quite there yet :)

Our club president has some pretty good trees, but he's the reason my Maple died. So I now second guess him when he comes near my trees. I don't appreciate someone just taking my tree and start to trim and sculpt it. I'd rather do it and be guided. I'm a hands on learner. I get a little selfish when it comes to my things sometimes.
by simplysaid

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 7 years 8 months ago #24803

simplysaid wrote: Our club president has some pretty good trees, but he's the reason my Maple died. So I now second guess him when he comes near my trees. I don't appreciate someone just taking my tree and start to trim and sculpt it. I'd rather do it and be guided. I'm a hands on learner. I get a little selfish when it comes to my things sometimes.

I so much recognize that. When I took my Juniper to the club, there was one member who also gave advice. He told me, looking at my tree (that was/is fully in development): When you look at a tree, there must be spaces the birds can fly through... and he snipped a hanging branch right off without asking.

My jaw must have dropped. It was a few years ago, I did not know how to react. Never forgot this. So much without any respect for someone elses tree... it's just not right. Not sure how I would have reacted a second time, but I did nt like that man much afterwards - still quite happy he is not coming anymore.

Nothing selfish about it, just being protective :)
And yes, that's not the way to learn, better guide someone, tell them what to do, and only do something when asked.
That is the way the trainer that comes to our meetings works. He adviced me to shorten a pine, but let me take the decision. That's the right way to do things.

Actually, there were two options for the tree, I took the conservative one. The next meeting we discussed this, we could make it even shorter. I told him 'go ahead' and he cut it for me. No problem. I trusted him now :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: simplysaid

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic opinion on true age of a tree

Posted 7 years 8 months ago #24805
Sounds like you are in the wrong clubs. Would not be acceptable in my clubs. There, you ask someone to help you, they take the scissors look you in the eye and say.. Do you want me to trim? They know I do not want them to so they do not even take the scissors;)
by leatherback
The following user(s) said Thank You: simplysaid

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 7 years 8 months ago #24806

leatherback wrote: Sounds like you are in the wrong clubs

I'm not. it's not the club that is wrong, it was this specific member, who I've not seen in years anymore. Good.

.Would not be acceptable in my clubs. There, you ask someone to help you, they take the scissors look you in the eye and say.. Do you want me to trim?

Yep, as I wrote, that's how it goes now and how it should be.

• simplysaid
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Posted 7 years 8 months ago #24810
I agree that I should be the one to make the decision on my tree. This will NOT happen again. I have worked with him since and he didn't touch my tree. I worked with another member who guided me and properly asked to cut and suggested where to cut. The president is a nice man and means well, but can be over assertive at times with a new person. The club is small and I look forward to standing up formyself, now that I know better.
I'm happy to read that my instance was not an isolated one.
by simplysaid