Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Beginner looking for some advice/help 7 years 5 months ago #27317

• mrmiles
  • mrmiles's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello all,
I'm a beginner bonsai owner in college. I went to a local hardware store and they had some bonsai trees for like $20. It looked like it was an off cut from another tree that was replanted. Based on the trees I was finding on the internet the price seemed really low for a bonsai so I'm not even sure if its real. That being said I'm still going to try and grow it because I like my tiny tree. I've had it for about 3 months now and It's doing fairly well I think, It's growing bigger and the one broken bit on it where I assume a branch once was has kind of sealed itself which I figure is a good sign. I'm pretty sure it's some sort of juniper, and my question is how vital is it to keep it outside? I don't really have the option to keep it outside because there isn't anywhere safe to put it outside where a drunken college kid won't try and eat it. For the time being I'm keeping it close to the window in my room where it will experience some temperature change since the window isn't insulated very well. Do you think it will be ok there for the year that I'm in this place or should I consider building something to hang outside my window. In addition to this I've been giving it some fertilizer I made out of crushed egg shells, finely diced banana peel and coffee grounds. I haven't used much but I figured it would be better than nothing since I don't know exactly what I'm supposed to be giving it. Will this home made mixture suffice, or should I invest in some actual fertilizer and if so what do you recommend? Also how vital is pruning? If it's not necessary for the health of the tree I would rather let it grow naturally, but if not what are some tips? Attached is a picture of the bonsai if anyone can give me an more accurate identification of the tree that'd be appreciated, also I appreciate any additional advice/tips you all think would help my tree.
Thanks,
Miles

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Beginner looking for some advice/help 7 years 5 months ago #27319

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855
Your plant is a Juniper and will die if kept inside. Your "fertilser" is not. You do not have a bonsai either. Have a look at www.bonsai4me.com for species guides
The following user(s) said Thank You: MiguelMartinho

Beginner looking for some advice/help 7 years 5 months ago #27322

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791
Agreed, and this is one of the worse examples of something that's not a bonsai. It's really very young, not even close to being ready to become a bonsai.
You didn't pay 20 USD for it, did you ?

You are correct it's cut off from another plant.
Your plan to let it grow freely is good. I'd say it is vital to NOT prune it at this stage.

Last edit: Post by Auk.

Beginner looking for some advice/help 7 years 5 months ago #27324

• Mimo
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 927
If you want an indoor "bonsai" get yourself a ficus, sageretia, or some other tropical plant to get you started.
If you want your "bonsai" to live, figure out how to position it outside of your window or plant it in the ground somewhere where there is not much of a chance of it being eaten :)
Good luck.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mrmiles

Beginner looking for some advice/help 7 years 5 months ago #27330

• mrmiles
What do you mean it's not a bonsai? not that I don't believe you, I'm just not sure what you mean. Is this a sapling for a full size tree or something?

Beginner looking for some advice/help 7 years 5 months ago #27331

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

What do you mean it's not a bonsai? not that I don't believe you, I'm just not sure what you mean. Is this a sapling for a full size tree or something?

I think this is a question that is being answered about three times a day.

It's a juniper, young, untrained, not in any way different from any other juniper cutting. It's not even in a bonsai tray.

It's a young juniper, nothing else. If you let it grow, it will become a big juniper, not a bonsai. Bonsai is not a tree species, it's a collection of techniques to create minaturized, but realistic, trees.

With the right techniques your plant can become a bonsai. For a reasonable bonsai, that'll take about 15 years and requires study and practice. For a decent bonsai it will take longer, and for a real good one a few decades.

Selling this as bonsai is a scam.

Last edit: Post by Auk.

Beginner looking for some advice/help 7 years 5 months ago #27335

• mrmiles
Alrighty well I already have the tree and I don't really feel like throwing it out because it's not a bonsai. What are some good steps to take to keep it healthy and maybe even turn it into a bonsai one day?

Beginner looking for some advice/help 7 years 5 months ago #27336

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Alrighty well I already have the tree and I don't really feel like throwing it out because it's not a bonsai. What are some good steps to take to keep it healthy and maybe even turn it into a bonsai one day?

Why throw out a healthy plant? No one is suggesting that.

To turn it into a bonsai:
Let it grow. Put it in the ground when it's big and strong enough. Wait 15 years. Start studying.

You can do some basic shaping once the plant is settled, based on your future perspective of the size and style you want the plant to train in.
Study that first. You've got plenty of time.

Beginner looking for some advice/help 6 years 9 months ago #34425

• Sleuth
  • Thanks received: 2
The word "bonsai" literally only means "plant in tray." Don't listen to these guys, there are basic ground rules but is a form of artistic expression and left up to interpretation and skill of the creator and in absolutely no dialogue I have ever read has there been a absolute definition of "tray". Looks like a Sergeant Juniper or All Gold Juniper. Conifers typically like slightly acidic well draining soil. I've heard of using used coffee grounds but have never seen anyone do it. Compost works the best after it's been degraded, (ate and pooped out by bacteria.) Conifer, succulent or azalea fertilizer once every 2 weeks during summer and once at the end of October and none during winter should work fine. Pruning helps when you have a goal or idea in mind for the finished work. Trees focus energy of new growth to the tips of branches and the tops. By pinching with the fingers not cutting new growth the tree will refocus energy to create new branches and fill in the center. Once pruned it can't grow back so caution. Bonsai's should be kept in an almost root bound state so the leaf growth stunts and gives a better overall appearance of a natural miniature tree. Should be fine if left inside being an under-story plant as long as its not to hot and gets some sun. Hope this helped and would like to see progression. Happy hunting.

Beginner looking for some advice/help 6 years 9 months ago #34431

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Why are you digging up old threads?

In any case. There is more to bonsai than jusst a plant in a pot. If you do not know any better, read up and get some basic understanding before starting this argument. This forum has loads of discussions on it.

• Page: