Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

Avocado Tree 4 years 3 weeks ago #57392

• St3veo
  • Thanks received: 1
I would agree it’s not a bonsai it’s somewhat difficult to work with as far as training branches and reducing leaves. However, I wouldn’t discourage people from trying it. It has been fun shaping and tending to it every week. Out of all my plants and trees I receive the most comments on the avocado. It’s a fun way to introduce people to indoor growing. It’s grows so much every week vs my tamarind tree that takes months to do anything. I find it just as interesting and inspiring.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Avocado Tree 4 years 3 weeks ago #57393

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

I would agree it’s not a bonsai.

So why would you then recommend it for bonsai?
Sometimes I really do not understand the twistred thinking going on when people discuss bonsai. Whether it is working with crassula, pepper, weed or avocado. There is this tendency that everything that is somehow shaped, pruned and in a pot that it has to be bonsai and in bonsai context you have to support every odd idea. Sorry. But I do not agree with this perception and attitude. Bonsai is based on a tradition thousands of years. not every idea that drops in someones mind is a good one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BofhSkull, Mickey84

Avocado Tree 4 years 3 weeks ago #57394

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791
This is basketball. A popular sport that's very demanding of the top sporters. I wouldn’t discourage people from trying it. It is fun doing it, even if you're not at top level, trying to play that ball and score. People will cheer when you do it. It’s a fun way to introduce people to sports. It will take lots of training and practice. I find it is very interesting and inspiring.

But it isn't rugby.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: Post by Auk.

Avocado Tree 4 years 3 weeks ago #57396

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603

But you understand there is some people that think its beautifu and fun to do, right?
There is alot of bonsais that dont look 100% like natural miniature trees(but is beautiful anyway), .....

Walk around in some old forests and look at the trees and you see some very peculiar looking trees. I found one once with the trunk making a loop. I have a video somewhere where I followed the top of the tree down to the base, then followed one root about twenty feet - six meters, down to a pond. There was a spruce (I think) shorter than me with branches on one side shorter than my finger and branches on the other side 27 feet - 8 or so meters.

The bonsais that look strange do, but that is because 90% of trees in the woods grow straight up and you can make an upright bonsai, but it doesn't look very interesting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: St3veo

Avocado Tree 4 years 3 weeks ago #57397

• St3veo
Because it is. Bonsai “an ornamental tree or shrub grown in a pot and artificially prevented from reaching its normal size”. I am growing a avocado tree in a pot and artificially preventing it to grow to its normal size. I like the comment by AUK, if this is similar to basket ball then why are you so mad that I’m playing basket ball with a volleyball? All the rules still apply, I’m having fun, sure it looks and feels different but the core principles are all there.

Avocado Tree 4 years 3 weeks ago #57400

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

I like the comment by AUK, if this is similar to basket ball then why are you so mad that I’m playing basket ball with a volleyball? All the rules still apply, I’m having fun, sure it looks and feels different but the core principles are all there.

Oh, but I 'm not angry and I really think that if you're enjoying what you're doing,, then you most definately must continue doing it..

If you want to play basketball with a volleyball, by all means. Chances are though that people on forums dedicated to basketball will respond the same way people on bonsai forums do when your post is not about bonsai. Unless ofcourse when the results with a volleyball are better. Probably not, as volleyballs are softer and are not supposed to be dropped. Playing volleyball with a basketball isn't recommended...

www.quora.com/Can-we-play-volleyball-with-a-basketball

Last edit: Post by Auk.

Avocado Tree 4 years 3 weeks ago #57403

• St3veo
I understand where you are coming from. I was just hoping to get more advice on how to shape faster growing styles. Along with ideas on best techniques from those whom have tried this in the past and what their final outcome was. Rather then being being told it’s futile and don’t even try.

Avocado Tree 4 years 3 weeks ago #57408

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

I was just hoping to get more advice on how to shape faster growing styles

The original post was 2 years 8 months ago. In this period, only one person responded that he tried - and gave up.
So, apparently no one here does avocado, probably for very good reasons, and it is not likely you'll get the answers you are looking for.

Avocado Tree 4 years 3 weeks ago #57409

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Along with ideas on best techniques from those whom have tried this in the past and what their final outcome was. Rather then being being told it’s futile and don’t even try.

I tried
I realized under which circumstances a realistic bonsai might be grown
I shared
I stopped trying
There are species that WILL make great bonsai.
Why stick with something that will not.
I really do not understand.

Avocado Tree 4 years 3 weeks ago #57414

• St3veo
I have a clump of tamarind saplings I’m in the process of cultivating. The avocado is just a fun experiment. Thanks for the input.