Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

New to Bonsai - Scarification and Stratification 6 years 2 months ago #36893

• jwood152003
  • jwood152003's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello All,

I received a starter kit for Bonsai with 4 diff seeds: Norway Spruce, Rocky Mountain Pine, Blue Jacaranda and Royal Poinciana. I know the latter two are tropical and will not need cold stratification but the instructions provided are very basic and generic for all 4 seeds. It says to soak the seeds in water for 24-36 hours and then plant them.

After googling extensively, this seems to be wrong. I am currently soaking all the seeds now, but I believe I need to move the Spruce and Pine seeds into some soil and place in the fridge. Is this correct for cold stratification and how long should I do this for?

For the tropical trees, I'm not sure what needs to be done. I know there is hot stratification but I'm unsure if this needs to be done or if I can plant and keep near a window to hopefully start the germification process.

Any help would be great as I can't find exact instructions for these 4 types of trees.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New to Bonsai - Scarification and Stratification 6 years 2 months ago #36894

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Hello All,

I received a starter kit for Bonsai with 4 diff seeds: Norway Spruce, Rocky Mountain Pine, Blue Jacaranda and Royal Poinciana

I hope you understand that there is no such thing as a bonsai kit or bonsai seed. The seed you got is from normal trees and need to be treated as such. Bonsai seed does not exist.

I hope you also understand that spruces are not easy for bonsai, growing a good pine bonsai requires decades, and trying to grow bonsai from tropical seeds may not be a success - as you cannot provide the conditions to grow tropical trees.

Instructions can be found easily (and note you are simply looking for instructions how to germinate them, not how to germinate a 'bonsai':

www.treeseedonline.com/store/p46/Norway_...8picea_abies%29.html
homeguides.sfgate.com/tips-growing-ponderosa-pine-29840.html

Apart from checking HOW to germinate, also find out WHEN to do things.

Last edit: Post by Auk.

New to Bonsai - Scarification and Stratification 6 years 2 months ago #36895

• jwood152003
"I hope you understand that there is no such thing as a bonsai kit or bonsai seed. The seed you got is from normal trees and need to be treated as such. Bonsai seed does not exist."

Yes I understand this already. I never said Bonsai Kit or Bonsai Seed. Those are your words.

"I hope you also understand that spruces are not easy for bonsai, growing a good pine bonsai requires decades, and trying to grow bonsai from tropical seeds may not be a success - as you cannot provide the conditions to grow tropical trees"

Thank you for the warning, and I understand this is a patient process.

As for your answer, thanks for the link.

New to Bonsai - Scarification and Stratification 6 years 2 months ago #36896

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Yes I understand this already. I never said Bonsai Kit or Bonsai Seed. Those are your words.

OK, you said "starter kit for Bonsai". I find such a term misleading.

New to Bonsai - Scarification and Stratification 6 years 2 months ago #36897

• jwood152003

A starter kit for the Art of Bonsai, if this helps.

New to Bonsai - Scarification and Stratification 6 years 2 months ago #36899

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Not really. Beginners will not learn how to grow bonsai from it - and the more advanced bonsai growers will not buy it.

On all the forums I visit / visited, I have never seen anyone that owns a bonsai that was grown from a 'starter kit'.
Bonsai are not often grown from seed (I think it's the 5th time I'm typing that this week...). It takes too long and for beginners, it is too hard.

Not saying you should not try and grow from seed. I'm doing it myself, growing black pines. 5th year now, and still very far away from being even a pre-bonsai.

New to Bonsai - Scarification and Stratification 6 years 2 months ago #36908

• TreeOfLife

I got the same type of abrupt answer from Auk in another thread after my using the word "bonsai". Not really pleasant or welcoming. I thought your post was absolutely clear.

Last edit: Post by TreeOfLife.

New to Bonsai - Scarification and Stratification 6 years 2 months ago #36910

• TreeOfLife

Bonsai are not often grown from seed (I think it's the 5th time I'm typing that this week...). It takes too long and for beginners, it is too hard.

Not saying you should not try and grow from seed.

That's what you implied though.

Please let people be excited about their newfound hobby. Everyone (beginners included) is free to do as they please. Who are you to judge. We have come here hoping to find a supportive and kind community, not embittered know-it-alls who harshly kill newcomers' enthusiasm. I apologize for the confrontation but I'm probably not the only person to think this. Thank you.

Last edit: Post by TreeOfLife.

New to Bonsai - Scarification and Stratification 6 years 2 months ago #36911

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Not saying you should not try and grow from seed.

That's what you implied though.

Not really. I meant you should try and grow a tree from seed. Do not think of growing a bonsai from it at this stage. Again, bonsai are not created by keeping seedlings small.

Please let people be excited about their newfound hobby. Everyone (beginners included) is free to do as they please.

Of course, but there are countless people that start with seed, don't succeed and give up. Better to study and really learn the basics, so you can really get into the hobby.

Who are you to judge.

I'm not judging. Having been on this forum for quite some time, I have seen the same questions over and over and over - and I rarely see people that continue to pursue the hobby - as they don't get results. If you really want to grow bonsai, learn to grow trees, how to keep them healthy, how to make them thrive. You need to know the basics, invest time to study, learn, practice.

Sure you can start with seed, but just don't expect you can grow a bonsai at this time.

I apologize for the confrontation

No worries. I'm used to it.

Last edit: Post by Auk.

New to Bonsai - Scarification and Stratification 6 years 2 months ago #36913

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

I got the same type of abrupt answer from Auk in another thread after my using the word "bonsai". Not really pleasant or welcoming. I thought your post was absolutely clear.

Are you referring to your question what species your tree was?:

I hope it's a real bonsai

Bonsai is not a tree species.

Seriously?

• Page: