Bonsai forum

What to do with potentially dead Ficus Ginseng branches

• cwillette1994
  • Thanks received: 3

Replied by cwillette1994 on topic What to do with potentially dead Ficus Ginseng branches

Posted 5 years 9 months ago #42385
With an attitude like that your right it will never be one. With proper technique and an imagination you can make something nice in time. Look up rhe definition of bonsai.
by cwillette1994

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic What to do with potentially dead Ficus Ginseng branches

Posted 5 years 9 months ago #42386

cwillette1994 wrote: With an attitude like that your right it will never be one. With proper technique and an imagination you can make something nice in time. Look up rhe definition of bonsai.

This is an almost dead ficus, that is not
A bonsai and has no bonsai potentialm, in the hands of someone who does not know what bonsai is and does not know bonsai techniqueds.

This specific plant will never be a bonsai and that has ecactly nothing to do with my attitude.
Last Edit:5 years 9 months ago by Auk
Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by Auk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Felidae

• Felidae
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 236

Replied by Felidae on topic What to do with potentially dead Ficus Ginseng branches

Posted 5 years 9 months ago #42387

cwillette1994 wrote: With an attitude like that your right it will never be one. With proper technique and an imagination you can make something nice in time. Look up rhe definition of bonsai.

Maybe I’m wrong, but I don’t have any proper imagination or technique on my head to make something Bonsai-ish from those mass produced poor things with those giant, swelled roots (even when the grafted part is dead and just the rootstock sprouting, like here). Bonsais have proportion rules. If you have an idea/technique to make it something what looks close to a bonsai, don’t hesitate. Or you’ll be convinced, or us.
by Felidae

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

Replied by Clicio on topic What to do with potentially dead Ficus Ginseng branches

Posted 5 years 9 months ago #42394

cwillette1994 wrote: With proper technique and an imagination you can make something nice in time.

With a proper plant, maybe. With this one, no way.

cwillette1994 wrote: Look up rhe definition of bonsai.

Sorry to ask you, but two questions:
1- How long have you been training plants to become bonsai?
2- Could you define bonsai as you see fit?
by Clicio

• Char_sw
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by Char_sw on topic What to do with potentially dead Ficus Ginseng branches

Posted 5 years 9 months ago #42395
No need to be so rude, but thanks all the same - just wanted opinions on the state of the branches. I now have some. All the best.
Last Edit:5 years 9 months ago by Char_sw
Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by Char_sw.

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

Replied by Clicio on topic What to do with potentially dead Ficus Ginseng branches

Posted 5 years 9 months ago #42396
The branches are probably dead.
by Clicio
The following user(s) said Thank You: Char_sw

• Felidae
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 236

Replied by Felidae on topic What to do with potentially dead Ficus Ginseng branches

Posted 5 years 9 months ago #42397

Char_sw wrote: No need to be so rude, but thanks all the same - just wanted opinions on the state of the branches. I now have some. All the best.

I wasn’t rude and never meant to be. You can make a bonsai from a seed with time and proper everything, but me I couldn’t from this Ficus monsters.

Clicio wrote: The branches are probably dead.

Looks like the microcarpa/retusa/other Ficus, what was grafted in the “rootstock” is dead and the plant (?) which used as rootstock still living.

;)
Last Edit:5 years 9 months ago by Felidae
Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by Felidae.

• cwillette1994
  • Thanks received: 3

Replied by cwillette1994 on topic What to do with potentially dead Ficus Ginseng branches

Posted 5 years 9 months ago #42555
1.) 18 years
2.) look up the definition of what bonsai means. I’ll do it for you: first the Japanese literal meaning “planted in a container” or “landscape in a pot” and then there’s the adapted translation or meaning “a shrub or tree planted in a small pot that is prevented from reaching its normal size”.

In MY opinion you can turn most any tree or shrub in to a bonsai. I have many scheflerra’s, ginseng ficus, golden gate ficus, azalea, gardenia, etc. bonsai. I guess I just think of it in a different way. But that’s okay of course. Just as your own interpretation of bonsai is. But I tend to see potential in any type of plant/tree/shrub.
by cwillette1994

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic What to do with potentially dead Ficus Ginseng branches

Posted 5 years 9 months ago #42556

cwillette1994 wrote: 1.) 18 years

What I do not understand is, if you hsve 18 year experience, why don't you hsve a picture of a good bonsai you have created as your avatar?
Last Edit:5 years 9 months ago by Auk
Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by Auk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: crent89

• crent89
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 230

Replied by crent89 on topic What to do with potentially dead Ficus Ginseng branches

Posted 5 years 9 months ago #42557

cwillette1994 wrote: 18 years

your name has 1994 in it. if you were born in 94' that means you been training plants to become bonsai since 6yrs old.
by crent89
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio