Bonsai forum

Starting from scratch

• Vee
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Starting from scratch was created by Vee

Posted 5 years 4 months ago #45770
Hi everyone

I'm new here and also new to Bonsai growing (as in, I haven't even started yet!)

I hope I haven't overlooked some posts but I've done some searching and couldn't find the answers so far.

I would really love some help with starting. I have grown a few oak trees from acorns - I now have 2 that are 18 months old and about 7 that are only 6 months old. I would like to know if they can be made into Bonsai trees and is it the right time to start yet or must I wait? How much longer? If ready to start, what is the first step? Can I buy a Bonsai kit online and will come it with full instructions on how to do it? I have done a lot of searching online but can't seem to find what I need. A video of the whole procedure would be awesome! I did find one such video but the tree was completely different to mine so I was still unsure (there were a lot of leaves and branches to be pruned).

If anyone can help I would be most grateful! I'm attaching some pics here and would love to know if they are ready and if they will make good bonsai trees. The brown and green pot are the older trees and the black pot is a young one.

Thanks so much in advance for any help.
by Vee

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic Starting from scratch

Posted 5 years 4 months ago #45771

Vee wrote: Hi everyone

I'm new here and also new to Bonsai growing (as in, I haven't even started yet!)

Wow. I love this post. It's a bit late here to give a full reply, but:
This is what this forum should be about. Day after day we see people asking questions about their dead or dying mallsai. You are the first person ever I see on this forum who asks questions FIRST.

You have some healthy looking oaks there but no, they are not ready. Oaks are suitable, but for large size bonsai. You are looking at at least 15 years of preparation.

In general, I cannot recommend bonsai kits. They contains materials and a young tree, with a value that is doubled - as it contains the word 'bonsai', and no, in general, these kits do not come with a manual on how to grow a bonsai. You can buy the tools, soil and plant for a much lower price if you buy them separately. I don't even want to discuss bonsai seed kits. That's a scam, imho.

I'll get back on this subject later. Again, I really like this post.
Last Edit:5 years 4 months ago by Auk
Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by Auk.

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 5 years 4 months ago #45773
It is late... bus as I'm fascinated by this post, I thought I'd start with giving you one link:

Bonsai starts at the basics. You need to grow proper nebari (the root base) and a good trunk first. Growing a trunk requires certain techniques, that are explained here:

Again, this is a technique that requires years, or decades. It's explained very well in this video.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vee

• Vee
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by Vee on topic Starting from scratch

Posted 5 years 4 months ago #45775
Hi Auk

Thanks so much! I'm glad you like my post and I'm so happy I found someone who is in the know and willing to help me :) I appreciate you responding even though it was late where you are. I am going to watch the video soon. Bit sad to discover that my plants have a long way to go before I can do anything bonsai with them but anyway, I will be patient! Yes, I also thought I might be better off just buying the tools that I need (not from a specific Bonsai place) but once I know more about it, I can go searching.

So I was under the impression that my trees will struggle if kept in pots for a long time, as they might prefer to be in the ground somewhere. Do you think I can keep them in pots until they are ready to be worked on?

Thanks again for writing and I am looking forward to hearing more :)
by Vee

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 5 years 4 months ago #45776

Vee wrote: Bit sad to discover that my plants have a long way to go before I can do anything bonsai

I have an oak too, also from seed. Why not... they are for free, right? But yes, it takes long. For oaks, you need a big trunk as the leaves are relatively large.
You'll need to practice patience. Here's a progression of an oak and do look at the time it took - and notice this was not started from a seedling.
www.bonsaiempire.com/inspiration/progressions/cork-oak (different species but you'll get the idea).

You can actually already think about preparing your trees for their future as bonsai. I'll refer to an article from Leatherback:
www.bonsaiempire.com/forum/basic-techniq...s-growing-oak-bonsai
Careful with removing the taproot. Try not to remove side roots and the finer hair roots. Give the tree plenty of time to recover.

More about root pruning:
www.evergreengardenworks.com/rootprun.htm

Look up some more information about how to remove a tap root before doing it.
Make sure you use sharp and clean tools.

Now, about shaping the tree:
You need to know what to do and why you are doing it and you need to know what your goal is.
For that, you'll need to know the basics of bonsai aesthatics:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonsai_aesthetics#...aesthetic_principles

In short, you need a good root flare, a tapering trunk, proper branch placement and ramification.
I noticed the movie I posted is actually on this very website:
www.bonsaiempire.com/basics/styling/advanced/trunk

Another good article about growing a trunk is from, again, Leatherback:
www.growingbonsai.net/why-trunks-grow-thick/

Now, back to your trees. They are very young and untrained, so essentially, you decide their future. You should know a bit about bonssai styles:
www.bonsaiempire.com/origin/bonsai-styles

Looking at the third picture, it has a long, first branch. You could decide to let that grow freely so the trunk gets thicker. It will also create tapering.
At this moment, I'd let the rest grow too, but when the tree has grown enough, you could decide to start shortening the higher branches, or choose a branch to become the new top.
That's explained in the articles about growing trunks.

Fastest way to get a thicker, bigger tree is growing it in the ground. You can keep the trees in the current containers and repot them when needed in gradually larger containers.
You'll also need to work the roots (not now, but in the future) so you can get them in lower containers.

Hope this helps - and isn't too overwhelming.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio, Vee

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 5 years 4 months ago #45777
Had to remove a link as my post had 'too many links' and couldn't be posted:

The rules for shaping bonsai:
www.evergreengardenworks.com/rules.htm

Note these are not strict rules but merely guidelines. It is important to understand them though and what it takes to create a good bonsai.
by Auk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vee

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Starting from scratch

Posted 5 years 4 months ago #45780
and remember.. Bonsai is a process, a journey. The aim is not to reach the finishline, but to enjoy getting there.
by leatherback

• Vee
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by Vee on topic Starting from scratch

Posted 5 years 4 months ago #45812
Wow, thank you so much for all the info and links AUK. You have given me heaps to work with and I realise that it's going to take time and I will have to do some studying (besides practising patience). I am fine with both of those, I was just worried that it might be time to start doing things on my plant because I saw a video where the trunk still had to be a bit pliable when you first wire it and I wasn't sure at what point that might be. So at least I can relax now and do the study before I rush into anything :) I might be back here in time with more questions so hope you will be there then.

I am truly grateful for your input - thanks again!!
by Vee