Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Is my Chinese elm dead 5 years 3 months ago #45821

• JacksBonsai
  • JacksBonsai's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hey i'm a bonsai noob (everyone rolls their eyes)\
i recently got bought a bonsai, its a chinese elm and it was kept in an outside greenhouse.
it has no leaves on it but as its been kept in outdoor temperatures i assume its seasonal? as it is now indoors, how often should i water/feed it whilst it has no leaves on it? and how long should it take to start budding again… hoping i havent been sold a VERY expensive and pretty twig?

HELP!

lee

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Is my Chinese elm dead 5 years 3 months ago #45822

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 850
If you have recently bought this dead tree I suggest you take it back. If it was outside when you bought it why did you not keep it out.? If it had no leaves when you bought it then it may be ok,Put it outside. but if it has lost them since you bought it then that is not good. Greenhouses have a lot more light and much different conditions than a centrally heated dry house.

Is my Chinese elm dead 5 years 3 months ago #45823

• JacksBonsai
thanks for your reply. it had no leaves on when i brought it and was assured that if i brought it inside and just made sure the soil didnt totally dry out it would be fine. the bark hasnt wrinkled or anything so im assuming its ok just dormant, i was wondering how long before it started to bud again so i could gauge if its ok?

Is my Chinese elm dead 5 years 3 months ago #45824

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

as it is now indoors

Why on earth would you want to do that??

Is my Chinese elm dead 5 years 3 months ago #45825

• JacksBonsai
Not sure if my last reply posted? Do you mean why would I keep it indoors? Well because I live in a flat and I was told from the bonsai supplier and various online sources that Chinese elms were good to have indoors?

Is my Chinese elm dead 5 years 3 months ago #45826

• Fonz
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 46
Trees need to be outside. Chinese elms can handle indoor circumstances pretty good but they thrive best outdoors.
You can check if it's still alive by scratching the bark a bit. If the cambium layer is still green the tree isn't dead (yet). If it's brown, well... you know it's dead then.

Is my Chinese elm dead 5 years 3 months ago #45827

• JacksBonsai
Everyone’s responses are very pessimistic and mildly patronising on here? I have been made aware the extra care I will need to take of the tree and the positioning of it etc and I am definitely willing to do all of these things. I have always wanted to get into bonsai and as I have the time to care for it now I took the plunge lol

I’m sorry if I have offended anyone I just wanted the know the best way to care for the tree in MY circumstances and join the bonsai family...

It’s in a non heated room next to a north facing open window so it’s not over heated, not left to dry and not in direct sunlight? I’m trying?

Is my Chinese elm dead 5 years 3 months ago #45829

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Everyone’s responses are very pessimistic and mildly patronising on here?

Mildly fatigued I'd say, from again answering someone who started to investigate how to take care of a bonsai AFTER purchasing it.

I'm not pessimistic, by the way. Seems your tree just has a serious case of autumn.

Did I misunderstand you have a greenhouse? Why would you want to bring it indoors if you have one? Even if you don't, why bring it indoors? No tree has evolved to live indoors. Unless when you can give it the climate it needs, it's just not a good idea to keep it there.

Is my Chinese elm dead 5 years 3 months ago #45833

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549
Looks like you have a very fine tree.
It will get by indoors, but it's a lot of work and it won't thrive as it will if outside.
If it is dormant as it seems, now wait until March to see foliage.

Is my Chinese elm dead 5 years 3 months ago #45836

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
Welcome!

Keeping this inside in a warmish room should get you to see buds swelling in 1-2 weeks.

That being said, unfortunately, it is a lot harder to keep trees healthy indoors, Chinese elms are NOT easy indoors. Outside they are a breeze to keep alive.

• Page: