Bonsai forum

Ginseng Ficus, I think?

• YouDoneTreedMe
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Ginseng Ficus, I think? was created by YouDoneTreedMe

Posted 5 years 3 months ago #46210
I have been talking about and thinking about getting into Bonsai for a couple months now and my sister in law picked one up from home depot for Christmas for me. Unfortunately, there wasn't any kind of identification on the plant or how to take care of it. I believe it may be a Ginseng Ficus just based on google images, but there's a lot of conflicting information out there and I'd like to be sure so I can take care of it properly. I've attached a picture, its not great, but any help would be much appreciated!
by YouDoneTreedMe

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic Ginseng Ficus, I think?

Posted 5 years 3 months ago #46211

YouDoneTreedMe wrote: I believe it may be a Ginseng Ficus just based on google images, but there's a lot of conflicting information out there

Yes, it is a Ficus Ginseng. No, it is not a bonsai.
Last Edit:5 years 3 months ago by Auk
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by Auk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: YouDoneTreedMe

• YouDoneTreedMe
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by YouDoneTreedMe on topic Ginseng Ficus, I think?

Posted 5 years 3 months ago #46212

Auk wrote:

YouDoneTreedMe wrote: I believe it may be a Ginseng Ficus just based on google images, but there's a lot of conflicting information out there

Yes, it is a Ficus Ginseng. No, it is not a bonsai.

Thank you for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it. However, after clicking around the forum for a couple hours I really have to say, for someone seemingly so embedded in a hobby that is supposed to be relaxing and zen-inducing you seem extremely uptight. I found most of your responses, particularly on the beginner's posts but certainly not limited to them, cold and discouraging. You should probably take life a little less seriously. But hey, that's just one woman's opinion.

Also, my tiny tree technically fits all of the criteria stated in the 'What is Bonsai' section of this very website. Despite the lack of attention its received in its early life, I'm still going to call it a Bonsai. Don't worry about being irritated by me or taking any "disciplinary" actions, I'm going to find a forum where the most frequent participant isn't a soulless automaton.
by YouDoneTreedMe

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Ginseng Ficus, I think?

Posted 5 years 3 months ago #46213
I would say you are selling yourself short if you take this as bonsai. There is so much mor to bonsai than just chucking a plant in a pot. If you are interested, take a look at the explanation I wrote about this: www.growingbonsai.net/why-is-my-tree-not-a-bonsai/
by leatherback

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic Ginseng Ficus, I think?

Posted 5 years 3 months ago #46214

YouDoneTreedMe wrote: However, after clicking around the forum for a couple hours...

It would have helped if you had done that before asking this question, that has been asked and replied to countless times.

It's just not funny that this forum, that's supposed to be about bonsai, is flooded by the same posts over and over again.
Last Edit:5 years 3 months ago by Auk
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by Auk.

• Rag
  • Thanks received: 3

Replied by Rag on topic Ginseng Ficus, I think?

Posted 5 years 3 months ago #46239
yes i have the same one keep in shade
by Rag

• Rag
  • Thanks received: 3

Replied by Rag on topic Ginseng Ficus, I think?

Posted 5 years 3 months ago #46240
auk rocks not
Last Edit:5 years 3 months ago by Rag
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by Rag.

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 5 years 3 months ago #46251

Rag wrote: yes i have the same one keep in shade

For the best results, ficus needs as much sunlight as they can get. Else they will hardly grow, and slowly demise.
As most ficus in temperate regions spend their life in a dark hole (Our living rooms) they are very sensitive to light initially, just like our skin after a dark winter.. So slowly get them used to more light. Mid-winter is an ideal time to move them to a windowsill that has midday sun exposure. In spring, move them ouside and move them to a full sun location. (Maybe via a dappled shade, again to get them used to full sun again).

Rag wrote: auk rocks not

Please refrain from personal attacks. There is no need.
by leatherback

• YouDoneTreedMe
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by YouDoneTreedMe on topic Ginseng Ficus, I think?

Posted 5 years 2 months ago #46654
Read a great article today...

"Secondly, some experienced bonsai practitioners and growers try to project an air of authority that is off-putting. Some, mind you, not all.
This next part is where I’ll get in trouble. Ready?
The third group are the intermediates. They seem to be the worst offenders when it comes to handling beginners.
The main problem is that these intermediates think they are occupying a higher pay-grade than they really are. It’s human nature."

"To summarize (since about 2/3rds of you only look at the pictures)
The so-called ginseng ficus is a seedling ficus microcarpa that has had it’s caudex-like roots raised to artificially make the trunk look bigger.
It can be grown out (or air layered or cut down) to make it look more tree-like.
This process takes time, like all bonsai development does.
Only half of the ginseng ficus have grafted foliage.
And most importantly, be nice to beginners. We need more people in the hobby, business and art of bonsai. By calling their tree (whether it be a juniper mallsai, an S-curve tree, a twisted shimpaku or a ginseng ficus) a piece of crap and saying it’s not real bonsai is either just ignorant, or stupid. You choose.
We have a name for trees that haven’t been developed yet, how about we use it; PreBonsai.
“Sorry Fred, but, ya know, junipers of that size need a little more growth in them before they can be called proper bonsai”
” Wow Cindy, that ficus needs about 5 or 10 years of growth before the trunk looks like a tree, if you want it to look like a bonsai"

Here is the link to the entire article if you'd like to give it a read:

adamaskwhy.com/2014/09/24/this-was-a-gin...ood-bonsai-subjects/
by YouDoneTreedMe

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 5 years 2 months ago #46655

YouDoneTreedMe wrote: Read a great article today...

Yup, I know the article well.
Just note that unless you are in the tropics, you will need a lifetie to get the sort of growth this guy is getting.

I doubt anyone sais you cannot use ficus for bonsai. It is just such a waste of time to use these ginseng as starter plants unless you have the right climate. In general, ficus in temperate climate take a long time to develop. I know. I have tried:

www.bonsaiempire.com/forum/progressions/...6-euro-ficus-project
www.bonsaiempire.com/forum/progressions/...kea-ficus-for-bonsai

Just like growing bonsai from a seedling is not the process I would recommend someone to do when starting off, the same goes for ficus.
by leatherback
The following user(s) said Thank You: YouDoneTreedMe