Bonsai forum

japanese maple bonsai red leaves turning green with brown tips

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

Replied by Clicio on topic japanese maple bonsai red leaves turning green with brown tips

Posted 4 years 4 months ago #54775

Auk wrote: You need lower temperatures - so it drops its leaves and goes dormant.

Auk; do we know where the OP is located?
Northern or Southern Hemisphere?
by Clicio

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

Replied by Clicio on topic japanese maple bonsai red leaves turning green with brown tips

Posted 4 years 4 months ago #54782
Anyway, if you are in the Northern Hemisphere (Winter now), forget about "lots of sunlight", Auk is right.
If you are in summer now, as I happen to be, then it needs as much sun and fresh air as it can get.
by Clicio

• pinkegg
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by pinkegg on topic japanese maple bonsai red leaves turning green with brown tips

Posted 4 years 4 months ago #54783
I am in Hong Kong, approaching winter. very very dry air now
by pinkegg

• crent89
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 230

Replied by crent89 on topic japanese maple bonsai red leaves turning green with brown tips

Posted 4 years 4 months ago #54790

pinkegg wrote: approaching winter. very very dry air now

im in the northern hemisphere as well and also approaching winter. if possible your tree needs to go outside, if thats not possible you need to place the tree somewhere that can best mimic it being outside. as Auk mentioned you need the lower temps (which i dont see how you can achieve that indoors) so the tree can go dormant as my maple stays outside 100% it is now starting to drop its leaves for the winter. i mad the same mistake years ago and kept a small maple (looked just like yours) indoors and it did not come back to life after winter.
Last Edit:4 years 4 months ago by crent89
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by crent89.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio, pinkegg

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603

Replied by Ivan Mann on topic japanese maple bonsai red leaves turning green with brown tips

Posted 4 years 4 months ago #54795
If it is a Hong Kong species it might survive inside but if the species comes from Japan it might struggle. I don't recall seeing a single maple when we went to the bonsai nunnery in Kowloon, so it might be a struggle.

Good luck.
by Ivan Mann
The following user(s) said Thank You: pinkegg

• FrankC
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 160

Replied by FrankC on topic japanese maple bonsai red leaves turning green with brown tips

Posted 4 years 4 months ago #54796
to raise the humidity arround your tree, you can have a "large and deep" tray, fill it with pebbles and water and put the tree on top of it, make sure the pot isn't in the water. Something like they do in Ginko bonsai center

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

by FrankC
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio, pinkegg

• pinkegg
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by pinkegg on topic japanese maple bonsai red leaves turning green with brown tips

Posted 4 years 4 months ago #54805
very informative, thankyou all very much!

will try the water tray idea.

stupid idea, would it help if I keep it in the fridge overnight and bring it back out during day time for some sun? I keep it in a room without a heater but still I don't think I can lower the temperature much more.
by pinkegg

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic japanese maple bonsai red leaves turning green with brown tips

Posted 4 years 4 months ago #54807
Plants do not like to be moved around, and do not like swings in temperature. As such, moving it to a fridge for a few hours is not going to help. I know some people who keep temperate species in a fridge for a few months to give them winter, which brings a whole other suite of challenges.

Water trays for raising humidity.. have been debunked a looong time ago. Unless you are able to sends dozens of litres of water in the air, or enclose the tree
by leatherback
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tropfrog, pinkegg