Propagation of wisteria cuttings

• joncoh101
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 3

Propagation of wisteria cuttings was created by joncoh101

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #1774
Hey guys, there is a lot of contravening information on the web about how to propagate by cuttings. There are two types of cuttings, hardwood and softwood. Now i know that the basics of growing a cutting are as follows:

-Take cutting of roughly 10cm
-Cut the cutting just underneath a bud
-Cut half the foliage of the cutting
-Remove all flowers
-Cut a "foot" on the bottom of the cutting, meaning cut a sharp and rough edge on the bottom of the cutting.
-Dip the cutting in rooting hormone powder
-Place the cutting in a container with soil. Im guessing say half potting soil half fine stone for drainage? Another thing is can you really use river sand? Thats what i am using atm. Anyway i will get to that.

Now i have read that you can put the cutting in soil, and then place a 2litre cola bottle with the bottom cut off, on top pushed into the soil. To produce a greenhouse effect. And leave the lid on but not tightly screwed on? This doesnt make sense as how can the plants get air?

I have seen Ficus grown extremely successfuly in pepsi bottles but im not sure as to what these people do. I am using river sand mixed with vermiculture or whatever you call that soil made by worms. I have one hardwood cutting and one semi hardwood
by joncoh101

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Re: Propagation of wisteria cuttings

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #1785
There is no one clear best method. Each plant to its own, and even per climate succesfull methods may vary. As you were asking for wisteria, let me google that for you ; Take result 3 for the details
by leatherback

• joncoh101
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Replied by joncoh101 on topic Re: Propagation of wisteria cuttings

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #1791
Thanks leatherback, the thing is im not only worried about the actual species im wondering about the bottle method too, because it is supposed to create a greenhouse effect
by joncoh101

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Re: Propagation of wisteria cuttings

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #1793
The bottle: The moisture is alowed to accumulate & temperature is raised which helpt the plant by minimizing water loss through evaporation (Not roots -> Water is scarce) and speed up growth (Warmer -> up to a point, grown goes quicker). Since you clip the bottom off, CO2 from the soil (bacteria, insects, fungi etc) will be trapped in the bottle. So untill the plant starts growing again, the majority will be CO2, which is the fertilizer for your tree. The little tree-in-a-bottle gardens can stay a long time, but require a carefull soil micture. I have made them in de the past, and you need gravel, charcoil, sand, turf and smallish plants to pull it off (Mine survived a few years before algea ruined it)
by leatherback

• joncoh101
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #1796
lol mine is in river sand mixed with worm soil
by joncoh101

• joncoh101
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #1804
Oh and too add, cant believe i forgot to add this.. The sites that i looked at to do with the cuttings in sand with a bottle pushed in over it, they say you must leave the lid on but not tightly screwed? This does not make sense as how can the plants live if they dont get air? Should i poke holes in the sides or what?
by joncoh101

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7

Replied by Leslie on topic Re: Propagation of wisteria cuttings

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #1813
Hi Jon,

When I created a mini greenhouse using one of those plastic containers pre-roasted chickens come in...there were four little flaps on top of the domed lid which could be open or closed. "leatherback" recommended I keep them open for a bit of air circulation. So I would suggest you cut no more than three, 1/2" to 3/4" holes just below the line where the top of the bottle begins to narrow. Say if you cut the holes square-shaped, just cut three sides of the square leaving a flap (or door) and bend them open to about half-way. :)
by Leslie

• joncoh101
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #1823
Ok awesome done that, now what i want to ask you and whoever has read this topic, have you had success with propagating in the past? And how did you go about doing it? And elaborate on your method with the pre roasted chicken container :)
Last Edit:12 years 7 months ago by joncoh101
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by joncoh101.

• Pinkham
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 62

Replied by Pinkham on topic Re: Propagation of wisteria cuttings

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #1827
This may be a long posting....so sorry :P
I rooted hydrangea cuttings. some I stuck in water for about 3 weeks. Some I planted directly in soil with rooting hormone.
Once they had good roots I planted the "water cuttings" in soil. I had 16 softwood and 3 hardwood cuttings. I kept 8 softwood and 2 hardwood cuttings.
I also rooted willow trees in water. These were actual branches, not softwood cuttings. After they rooted I put them in pots and kept them 1/3 submerged in water for a few weeks to make sure they got enough water. Again.I gave away lots of them. I still have 8.
I have 2 rugosa roses that I took from an old plant that was being dug up in my front yard. We chopped this old bush with an axe and used giant loppers to cut all the branches. A few days later I went out to look and found a few pieces that were still growing. I dug them up, potted them and kept them in the shade for a few weeks. They are both growing like weeds :).
This isn't really a "cutting" but I'll post it anyway..
I have a privet that for many reasons was unsuitable in it's present state to bonsai, so I cut rings in the bark, dusted it with rooting hormone, and buried it past the wound in a big plant pot. next spring I will uncover it and cut off the new top and plant it in a much smaller pot. The old trunk might survive...if it does I'll try something else with it....like a thread graft, just for fun.
Have fun with it...and good luck.
Lance
Anyway,
If I were you I'd use information on a regular wisteria for propagation.
Good luck.
Lance
P.s.
Oh yeah, I forgot the best part!! After giving the hydrangea cuttings away I found out that I was technically breaking the law. It's a limelight Hydrangea...and it's a patented plant. Reproduction of it is illegal. oops.
Last Edit:12 years 7 months ago by Pinkham
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by Pinkham.

• joncoh101
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #1831
Lol! Thanks pinkham, awesome stuff
by joncoh101