Bonsai forum

Growing a bonsai on a stone

• wolfmlw
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Growing a bonsai on a stone was created by wolfmlw

Posted 10 years 4 months ago #10183
Good Morning,

I was wondering if anyone has used a stone to grow a bonsai on and how it is done. I have located a stone that has a shallow scoop in the middle and I would like to use it as a dish to grow a small bonsai in. I was wondering how I can anchor the tree to the stone and what sort of tree would work best growing in shallow soil on a stone, in addition if anyone has some advice in general on this topic I would appreciate it. I am looking into new things to try this spring.

I am not trying to do a root over rock, just use the rock as a dish.

Thanks,

Wolf
Last Edit:10 years 4 months ago by wolfmlw
Last edit: 10 years 4 months ago by wolfmlw.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• chrisv
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 22

Replied by chrisv on topic Growing a bonsai on a stone

Posted 10 years 4 months ago #10184
You can use special fast hardening glue to attach wires too the stone.
Keep in mind it's not going to grow healthy and vigorous if you don't take extra care for it.
Because of the low nutricians, fast drying and small amount of soil they can become weaker than the ones in pots.
by chrisv

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855

Replied by m5eaygeoff on topic Growing a bonsai on a stone

Posted 10 years 4 months ago #10185
The type of stone you use is the crtitcal point. Tufa rock is good, it is soft and the roots can penetrate into it. Itogoya is the kind used also, it is expensive though. If the hollow is deep enough you may get away with not wiring the tree, but I have used a glue to attach wire. You may need in hot weather to water several times a day, or stand in a tray of water. It can be very difficult to prevent from drying out. We have also used a brick block which we carved to make the hollows and shaped it, Not knowing what country you are in I don;t know if the kind of bricks we have are available.
by m5eaygeoff

• Kalo

Replied by Kalo on topic Growing a bonsai on a stone

Posted 10 years 4 months ago #10189
Hi Wolf,
I've got a small Cotoeaster on a small rock, the rock I bought from my country but I couldn't tell you the type of rock it is, it's quit light and hollow, the tree has done really well it's not suffered from been on the rock, it's been on the rock since June and not lost any berrys. I used Muck which is clay like to hold the tree in place and wired the tree to the rock. I've got some pictures for you might help in your project.

Kalo
by Kalo

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Kalo

Replied by Kalo on topic Growing a bonsai on a stone

Posted 10 years 4 months ago #10190
Sorry I meant Cotoneaster horizontalis.
by Kalo

• tsimon
  • Thanks received: 2

Replied by tsimon on topic Growing a bonsai on a stone

Posted 10 years 4 months ago #10191
Good luck with your project. I have been working on this composition for several years now....one thing I can say is that it will be a high maintenance composition for you, whichever species you decide upon - you will always need to be extra aware regarding watering and fertilization.

This is a small Hinoki Cypress that was rescued from a saikei planting. It has been growing on this stone for about ten years or so. I was lucky enough to find the stone with a small pocket already in the stone's apex. The bottom had been cut flat with a saw. At the time I was working in the Geology Department at a University and the stone had been discarded.

When I first planted the tree in the rock I wrapped the stone (and tree) with raffia and light-gauge wire which remained in place for about three years and then was carefully removed.

The hinoki has remained healthy over the years.....although some dieback has occurred. This species does not bud back on old wood, which could be a drawback.

I agree with what others have said regarding a softer material which can be worked with (chiseled, etc.)

I think Cotoneaster would be a good species to work with as was previously stated, as well as maybe
This image is hidden for guests.

B. microphylla (Kingsville boxwood)....imo.

Best regards,
Tom
by tsimon

This message has an attachment image.

• chrisv
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 22

Replied by chrisv on topic Growing a bonsai on a stone

Posted 10 years 4 months ago #10193
Looks really natural I like that a lot! Thanks for sharing.
by chrisv

• tsimon
  • Thanks received: 2

Replied by tsimon on topic Growing a bonsai on a stone

Posted 10 years 4 months ago #10194
Thanks for the kind words, Chris....glad you like the composition.
Tom
by tsimon

• ironhorse
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 72

Replied by ironhorse on topic Growing a bonsai on a stone

Posted 10 years 4 months ago #10195
Tom - may I please ask how you got that water & wave effect? Looks very realistic

Dave
by ironhorse

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193

Replied by manofthetrees on topic Growing a bonsai on a stone

Posted 10 years 4 months ago #10196
i have been expieramenting with this subject. I have been using ficus natalensis cuttings, they are root over rock plantings but I have started the cuttings and planted them in the rock hollow and have let the roots grow down naturally.

moisture is a big issue. I place the planting in pots or saucers. I have found using muck and moss to breach the space between the water in the pot/saucer and the rock hollow works well.the moss wicks water and keeps the tree soil moist longer and makes watering easier. the roots of the ficus follow the moss to the water below which makes root placement easier

any chance we can see a pic of the rock?
by manofthetrees