TOPIC:

Pyracantha Species 8 years 7 months ago #16862

• alainleon1983
  • alainleon1983's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 185
Hi guys,

Been a while since my last post, but I´m back now and I´m bringing the most recent development on my Pyracantha. Next month will be a year and still with me and thriving... Even survived an aphid attack (treated it with soap diluted on water and it worked).

Well, after its first repot (at least since I have it) I placed it on a terracota pot and tilted the inclination angle a bit towards its left to promote a more dramatic fall on the cascade branch. Also, I´ve been pruning it and wiring it to place its branches where I thought it was best. Still, any advices from you guys will be very much welcome as usual.

Thanks in advance,

Alain

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pyracantha Species 8 years 7 months ago #16865

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
I like where it is going!

Keep the cascading branch not too straight but with a few bends and curves. Keeps is more interesting!

Pyracantha Species 8 years 7 months ago #16868

• alainleon1983
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

I like where it is going!

Thanks LB. Glad you like it.

Keep the cascading branch not too straight but with a few bends and curves. Keeps is more interesting!

Yep, I wanted to add some twists on that branch but when I started applying pressure for the first time, I accidentally snap the branch around 8 or 10 cms from its tip. I had read here that snapped branches could be repaired (sometimes) with superglue and I did just that and it actually worked. The setback is that now I´m affraid of bending that branch because I could break it and ruin the cascade approach that I like so much. That is why you see that U-turn on the low part of the cascading branch... Who knows, maybe next year I might take the chance and improve that branch character.

Thanks,

Alain

Last edit: Post by alainleon1983.

Pyracantha Species 8 years 7 months ago #16869

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
What you *could* consider.. Taping 2 thicker wire length-wise along the branch, with very tight tape and/or raffia. Then wire, en bend -even over a period of weeks-. The wire & raffia supposedly reduce the tightness of the bends, reducing breaking. Alway bend these dificult curves with your full hand: Thumbs on the inside of the intended branch, touching. Fingers on the other side. It will give you much better control. But yeah; I have done the same thing too; breaking that is. And Pyracantha is notorious
The following user(s) said Thank You: alainleon1983

Pyracantha Species 8 years 7 months ago #16870

• alainleon1983
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

breaking that is. And Pyracantha is notorious

Yes... They are remarkably brittle, aren´t they? I just received a lesson on first hand that day.

As for the rest of the post... Thanks a lot, that is a good piece of advice... Still, I think I won´t touch that branch until next year, but I´ll have this info at hand when I decide to take my chances and give it a go ;)

Alain