Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

Juniper During Winter 9 years 3 months ago #14042

• Figgy_11
  • Figgy_11's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello Everyone!
I got a Juniper as a Christmas gift. I'm new to the art so I began doing my research trying to figure out how to best take care of it and I know it shouldn't be in the house but It's winter time now and the tree should be in dormancy but I don't know whether I should put it outside or not as not to shock the tree. The temperature in the coming days will be around -2C to -7C. I also read some people put them in garages or sheds during the winter time, but I was thinking is it ok to put it in a cold room? I read it doesn't do any significant photosynthesis during that state anyways so the lack of light shouldn't be a problem. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Here's some pics!

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Juniper During Winter 9 years 3 months ago #14046

• Orlando
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 151
Looks like a Juniper procumbens nana,If it was mine i put it in a garage to acclimate.
And if the temp rise to above 0 c bring it outdoors,out of the wind.

Cheers

Juniper During Winter 9 years 3 months ago #14051

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 853
What country are you in? -2 is nothing for Juniper. Inside is a death sentence.

Juniper During Winter 9 years 3 months ago #14053

• Grammywehr
I am in this same situation. My husband bought me two for Christmas- a juniper and a Chinese elm. When they arrived over a week ago, he put them in a spare bedroom. Now both are showing little buds of new growth. I live in Pennsylvania. Temps are currently above freezing, but that is unusual. We will soon have temps going down as far as below 0F. Do I put them outside, or keep them in the house?

Juniper During Winter 9 years 3 months ago #14055

• Orlando
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 151

I am in this same situation. My husband bought me two for Christmas- a juniper and a Chinese elm. When they arrived over a week ago, he put them in a spare bedroom. Now both are showing little buds of new growth. I live in Pennsylvania. Temps are currently above freezing, but that is unusual. We will soon have temps going down as far as below 0F. Do I put them outside, or keep them in the house?

www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Ulmus.html

Juniper During Winter 9 years 3 months ago #14065

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
In general: They should be kept outside. At all times.

An unheated room may be ok for a little while. However, you should find a way to get them outside. Winter is still too long to ride out winter with the plant indoors.

Junipers continue photosynthesis also when it is cold. When you move it indoors it will be fully active and needs light.

If you have the option: Place outside when not frosty. if it stays outside for 1-2 weeks without any frost, it should go dormant. Plants get more frost-resistent ever time they cool down. So from inside straight into -20C is a death sentence. It needs time to get used to it.

Trees that are buddig will most likely loose the smaller branches, even when properly acclamitized. As temps here do not drop dramatically I would put the plants outside i a sheltered location and at night drop a loght tarp over them to protect them from the deepest frost. But it really depens on the temp. profile the next weeks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Figgy_11, Grammywehr

Juniper During Winter 9 years 3 months ago #14075

• Figgy_11
  • Figgy_11's Avatar Topic Author
Hey everyone
Thanks for the replies. I have done some more research and read everyones replies. I have come up with a plan to put the bonsai tree pot in a larger container and cover it with mulch. Then I'm going to put it in the shed where there is just enough light I believe for the tree. Slowly after a couple weeks i was going to put it outside while making a structure to protect it from the wind. The garage is not an option for me as mine is about 20C (68F) right now so a little too warm. The thing that I'm scared of is shocking the tree. The upcoming week is suppose to be mostly below freezing. Any suggestions with this idea? I live around Toronto Canada.

Juniper During Winter 9 years 3 months ago #14076

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 175
I am new to this topic, but what i would do is just put it in a sheltered position outside an maybe wrap the pot in bubble wrap. Acclimatize it first though for the best.

Last edit: Post by bob.

Juniper During Winter 9 years 3 months ago #14077

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

wrap the pot in bubble wrap

I've never quite understood but maybe you can enlighten me: what good does that exactly do for the tree?

Juniper During Winter 9 years 3 months ago #14078

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 175
Insulates the pot a bit. It woks for pretty much any plant in a pot
And just keeps the roots from getting too cold.

Last edit: Post by bob.