Is this a Juniper?

Rendering Error in layout User/Profile: Class "KunenaFactory" not found. Please enable debug mode for more information.

Replied by Auk on topic Is this a Juniper?

Posted 9 years 1 month ago #14797

Craig wrote: All trees have merit if you take the time to look.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Well... maybe, but there's a difference between wired cuttings and miniature bonsai.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

by Auk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rendering Error in layout User/Profile: Class "KunenaFactory" not found. Please enable debug mode for more information.

Replied by bob on topic Is this a Juniper?

Posted 9 years 1 month ago #14798
I mean, I for one do not recommend mame bonsai for the long term, the soil dries out after a few hours, which means a higher chance of it being underwatered *and they can die earlier than a shohin* (*= I have heard).

shohin or bigger would open a far more creative door in bonsai (IMHO).
Last Edit:9 years 1 month ago by bob
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by bob.

Posted 9 years 1 month ago #14799

bob wrote: I mean, I for one do not recommend mame bonsai for the long term, the soil dries out after a few hours

So you recommend 'm for the short term ? ;)
by Auk

Posted 9 years 1 month ago #14800
I don't recommend them as much as shohin or bigger, but if you have shorter time to develop actual bonsai and want to create something quickly (defying the quality of patience in bonsai) then it is possibly suitable. But they are quite amazing as they are smaller than usual but the opportunities as I say are lesser than on shohin and bigger, so every detail, extremely small is vital, and so with beginners a lot of the time they/we ( ;) ) make mistakes so trying to hide them is a lot harder on mame.

Before I get bombarded by angry viewers :D , I just want to say that this is just my opinion ;) .
Last Edit:9 years 1 month ago by bob
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by bob.

Posted 9 years 1 month ago #14802

bob wrote: yada yada

Seems I have to practice my tongue-in-cheek skills.
by Auk

Posted 9 years 1 month ago #14804
sorry, I don't latch on here...
by bob

Replied by Yewgarden on topic Is this a Juniper?

Posted 9 years 1 month ago #14816
When a beginner asks me a question like this, I'll normally answer.."yes it is a Juniper but only years of work will make it a Bonsai"

I doubt it is a Mallsai, because no work has been done, other than trimming the trunk and plunking it into some sort of oversized gravel….jeez

It is a GOOD starting plant for a beginner, and I disagree that he can't start shaping it yet, if you look at the width of the trunk …it looks really healthy!!.. with all that growth.

So sure, go for it… Junipers are pretty robust creatures if they get enough water, feed and sun.

But I would re-pot it into a smaller pot, not a bonsai-pot yet, but a trainer pot at least half the size of what its in now. Start getting the roots used to a shallower pot AND get it some decent earth to train, they really like the stuff that rhododendrons grow in, get greener is my experience. But hey, I've only be gardening for 25 years, so what do I know? ;)
by Yewgarden

Is this a Juniper? - Bonsai forum

Bonsai forum

Replied by leatherback on topic Is this a Juniper?

Posted 9 years 1 month ago #14818

Yewgarden wrote: But hey, I've only be gardening for 25 years, so what do I know? ;)

I guess we can shake hands there. However, growing plants in general is not the same as growing bonsai.

I do agree with pretty much everythin you posted above though. You can style anything at any stage as long as it is healthy. BUT.. people should just realize whether there is potential to turn such plant -in a realistic timeframe- into a bonsai or not. If you are aware of that when you start off, there is nothing wrong working on recently rooted cuttings to get experience.

Two trains of thought though: If you start working on 'el cheapo' plants in the beginning, you do not care if it dies, thus thinking less about what you are doing. So the pro for cheap material: You do not loose a lot of money, and you do not kill a majestic tree if things go wrong. Downside: If you have paid 400 euro for a plant, you will think twice about trimming, wiring, watering before you actually do it. So you might learn more quickly.

And nope, it is not mallsai. It is just a rooted juniper cutting
by leatherback

Posted 9 years 1 month ago #14819

Yewgarden wrote: When a beginner asks me a question like this, I'll normally answer.."yes it is a Juniper but only years of work will make it a Bonsai"

I doubt it is a Mallsai, because no work has been done, other than trimming the trunk and plunking it into some sort of oversized gravel….jeez

I agree with that. This should not even be called a mallsai - which is are mass-produced trees but they did have at least some sort of training. Maybe we should find another word for these little cuttings in pots. How about Consai ?
by Auk

Posted 9 years 1 month ago #14821

Yewgarden wrote: But hey, I've only be gardening for 25 years, so what do I know? ;)

Is this cutting in a pot really good starting material for a beginner who doesn't know what he actually bought?
Isn't there a difference between this beginner and someone with 25 years of experience?

Should we stimulate people to buy these overpriced cuttings?
Last Edit:9 years 1 month ago by Auk
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by Auk.