total beginner with a ficus

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic total beginner with a ficus

Posted 8 years 9 months ago #16597
Bara,

Allpoints taken. I can read your frustration.
Just keep in mind: This is a forum. Not a blog. So people come here for questions and discussions of their trees. If you need a complete description from the start to finish, you should get a book, read a few good websites, and then ask pointed questions and/or ask for input on your tree. I could also point you to my website ( www.growingbonsai.net/ ) which is currently going through a major overhaul, and I hope you would find that the information there is also clear and leaves you with more answers than questions; But again. That is a website aimed at giving complete information on certain steps in bonsai creation. The current page is a blog, where people can interact. It also means that people will give a short quick reply if they assume the person in question is overambitious with the material at hand.

But.. It is REALLY frustrating to see the number of bad ginseng figs on this forum, by people assuming it is a bonsai. Thousands is of course not true. But I would not be surprised to find 40 or more posts in the last year alone.

No-one is going to stop you working this plant. BUT why not use a plant that is suitable for bonsai, and while you are practicing, you actually create a plant that in a few years time you still like? Just to show that it does not have to coast an arm and a leg.. Have a look here www.growingbonsai.net/5-year-progression-of-a-taxus/
by leatherback

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic total beginner with a ficus

Posted 8 years 9 months ago #16598

bara wrote: i dont really think you understood me.

TLDR;

You've gotten answers and examples and more than the usual visitor to this site gets.
It has been clearly explained why your plant is not a bonsai or good bonsai material.

About teachers:
I'm here to learn about bonsai. I'm not here to teach about bonsai and I'm certainly not here to have lengthy discussions about plants that are not bonsai. If you don't understand what I'm writing: I don't care.

You're being stubborn because you want your plant to be, or to become, bonsai. It's not and it won't happen. Deal with it.
Last Edit:8 years 9 months ago by Auk
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by Auk.

• bara
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by bara on topic total beginner with a ficus

Posted 8 years 9 months ago #16611
big thanks to leather and a big LOL for auk. If you are not willing to teach then you have no bussiness writing in such topics like this one. I explained very detailed and clear why the entire explanation you think you were making and the examples you were giving were in a wrong direction and it was clear you didnt understand me. No matter how much i explain what i am talking about you are fixed on an idea like i am an arrogant and at the same time ignorant weirdo dreaming about masterpiece bonsai out of my random plant and you gotta put me into my place and show me how wrong and stupid i am bla bla bla.. with your last entry you pretty much prove that. You are telling me what i think what i am doing and my aim etc.. wow i guess you turned into a psychologist a human analiyst while working around your bonsais.
by bara

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic total beginner with a ficus

Posted 8 years 9 months ago #16616

bara wrote: If you are not willing to teach then you have no bussiness writing in such topics like this one. I explained very detailed and clear why the entire explanation you think you were making and the examples you were giving were in a wrong direction and it was clear you didnt understand me. No matter how much i explain what i am talking about you are fixed on an idea like i am an arrogant and at the same time ignorant weirdo dreaming about masterpiece bonsai out of my random plant and you gotta put me into my place and show me how wrong and stupid i am bla bla bla.. with your last entry you pretty much prove that. You are telling me what i think what i am doing and my aim etc.. wow i guess you turned into a psychologist a human analiyst while working around your bonsais.

Just stop arguing and accept the fact that this ia forum, not school not university. NOT the place to lecture people on how they should help you. Be glad you did get help, and accept the form in which it came.

Nobody is paid to be here, so just say thank you Auk, considering the time he has put in trying to help you understand some fundamentals in bonsai.

I am out of this thread; I have heard & seen enough of it.
by leatherback

• Samantha
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 151

Replied by Samantha on topic total beginner with a ficus

Posted 8 years 8 months ago #16663
Hi Bara,

So You did make it back, there is a lot to learn here, so don't give up on the guys, they are trying to help. And yes from time to time they do agree.

bara wrote: leatherback;

i dont really think you understood me. My topic name is TOTAL BEGINNER with a ficus.. yes it is mass produced. yes it is ugly. yes it sucks and wont ever look like that masterpiece

Yes we understand you're a "TOTAL BEGINNER with a ficus". So don't give up right away. Go ahead and keep your plant growing, learning to keep them alive, is the biggest part. Sort of like Rembrandt, he probably made some ugly little pictures when he started out.

Maybe find something small just to watch it grow, then years from now, you might better understand, what to do. Like any thing it takes time, trees are especially slow. Perhaps you might find a Bonsai club in your area, that could help you find a good stater.

I remember the first time I saw a ficus ginseng, the idea that it was a bonsai, never occurred to me. They keep showing up on here though, it seems to be a common mistake.

Just have fun, that's why we do it. Me creating a masterpiece, will never happen.
Last Edit:8 years 8 months ago by Samantha
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by Samantha.