TOPIC:

Schefflera-Mini Arboricola - Where do I start? 12 years 8 months ago #892

• Leslie
  • Leslie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7
Hi All,

I recently purchased this mini Schefflera arboricola, commonly known as the Umbrella Tree, and I want to turn it into a Bonsai. It is a tropical plant which I will be growing strictly indoors because I live in a 3rd floor apartment with no balcony. I had a stand-sized Schefflera for many years and found it very easy to grow with great back-budding/branching habits.

I've read so much on Bonsai in the past weeks that I feel overwhelmed to the point that I'm not sure where or how to begin.

I think my first priority is to repot it as it is quite root-bound however I also want to fatten and taper the trunk while developing a strong nebari. In order to achieve this, do I...

1. Repot into a much larger sized pot and, how much larger should it be?

2. Do I use bonsai soil or standard potting soil when repotting?

3. Do I trim back the roots or just loosen them to stop the horizontal/circular
growth habit it has developed?

4. Do I remove any branches at this point? If so, which ones?

I am feeling quite "stuck" at the moment, probably because this is my very first attempt at Bonsai so I'm lacking confidence. Any advice would be very much
appreciated.

Leslie

Attachment IMG_1785.JPG not found

Attachment IMG_1784.JPG not found

Attachment IMG_1783.JPG not found

Attachment IMG_1781.JPG not found

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Schefflera-Mini Arboricola - Where do I start? 12 years 8 months ago #893

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Hi Leslie,

Good luck on that project! I won't be giving you any tips; I am not much of an umbrella plant fan -as explained before- so my subconsious would be giving you hints at killing it.

Oh, one tip.. Trim all roots, dip the whole tree in salt and put it in the sun! :evil:

Now for real; I am worried that this plant is dificult to bonsai, as it does not seem to create woody stems all that quickly, and any new growth is fairly solid. So you might need to think about the size you want the tree to get. Try on internat to find some info on the growing pattern of this plant in the wild, and previous bonsai owners. I think you do not have the easiest to start with (Which in your case might actually be ficus Benjamina, which fares well indoors, and is known for some great bonsai)

This message has an attachment image.

Re: Schefflera-Mini Arboricola - Where do I start? 12 years 8 months ago #894

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Curiocity got the better of me, and I did a quick skimming of the first real page on schefflera bonsai. Have a look; This page might help I

think: www.bonsaihunk.us/info/ScheffleraBonsai.html

Re: Schefflera-Mini Arboricola - Where do I start? 12 years 8 months ago #898

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hahahahahahahahahaha....:lol:

Hey J....first you threaten to kill my darling Schefflera *and* you give me distructive advice for it.......ahhh but, then you cave right in and come thru for me by sending that wonderful link! You ole *Softie* you!!! ;) Thanks for the belly laugh, my friend! I really needed it!

Those who know me well know that when I take on a new project, I generally have a habit of challenging myself with something more...complicated. :S For example when I began painting in 1990...I learned to work with watercolour, the most challenging of all mediums; when I began learning how to woodcarve four years ago...my third project was a 2" thick relief carving of an African Elephant on the Sarengetti (sp?). Now I am learning the art of Bonsai starting with a Schefflera mini arboricola; a Jade plant; and I'm even going to try an English Ivy!...and yes, it can be done! Hah! :P

You will be happy to know J, that I have connected with a Bonsai Society and I am meeting one of the ladies this Friday for the first time. And guess what? She has two young Ficus Bonsai trees for sale from the club...for only $20.00 each!!! And I will be able to purchase some proper Bonsai soil, used snippers, and they have some used pots as well. How cool is that??? I'm so excited! :woohoo:

I am off to get myself some supper and then an evening of reading the wonderful material you sent! I'll let you know if I have anymore questions, K? ;)

Leslie

Re: Schefflera-Mini Arboricola - Where do I start? 12 years 8 months ago #901

• Pinkham
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 62
Hey guys
I have a schefflera that I did last year. It's kinda fun..

Re: Schefflera-Mini Arboricola - Where do I start? 12 years 8 months ago #904

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193
howdy leslie,

ive seen some amazing shefs in my searches and might end up getting one this winter to keep me occupied.from what i know they take alot of hard chopping and growing and hard chopping and growing...they do well for root over rock planting
and cuttings root in a glass of water.

Re: Schefflera-Mini Arboricola - Where do I start? 12 years 8 months ago #908

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Right on, Lance! Good for you! Did you start this from a pre-bonsai plant? Any suggestions? Thanks for the photo.

Leslie

Re: Schefflera-Mini Arboricola - Where do I start? 12 years 8 months ago #910

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Howdy Keith,

Yes...as I mentioned earlier I had a standard-sized Schef for many years and believe me...it *does* take a lot of hard chopping and growing...I must have chopped mine down by about half on three different occasions and it came back with new shoots and branches in no time. I luv them! So glad to hear you plan on trying to bonsai a Schef! :woohoo:

Leslie

Re: Schefflera-Mini Arboricola - Where do I start? 12 years 8 months ago #911

• Pinkham
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 62
Leslie,
This was the easiest thing ever. it started life as the top of a house plant from home depot years ago. I chopped off the top and rooted it in water. I liked the movement so I put it in this pot last year. Easy.
they are pretty care free. You should get one. :)

Re: Schefflera-Mini Arboricola - Where do I start? 12 years 8 months ago #912

• BassandBonsai
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 0
I was so excited when I found out Meijer was selling them, but then I took a hard look at the plant, and boy had it been misused! The top had been completely cut off, and they had put some sort of tar-like substance on to keep it that way. Also, when I picked it up, I wondered why the gravel wasn't moving, so I touched it, only to realize they had glued it on! Some people just make me so angry!!! :angry:

• Page: