Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

2021 events in Japan? 3 years 7 months ago #62286

• OnTheTrails
  • OnTheTrails's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello forum!
I would like to start planning a trip to Japan in the spring of 2021. In previous years, the Omiya festival was scheduled in February. I understand that is not yet scheduled as of today. Can anybody please help me understand what shows, workshops, galleries, festivals or other events may be happening across Japan in 2021?
Thank you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2021 events in Japan? 3 years 7 months ago #62288

• BofhSkull
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 121
Can't tell for specific bonsai related stuff, but I use to go to Japan as well as many other countries in Asia, Europe and North America for work-related events a dozen times a year, and I doubt I'm going to be back to any of them for at least the next 12 months, in the current situation.

It's not so much about the situation per-se, but about how quickly the it can evolve. Events planned for the next 4 months have already been called off, as it's too risky to go on with the whole planning and then having to step back a few weeks before the actual event: at that point a lot of the costs would have already been sustained and won't be recoverable except maybe in small part.

So I'd be surprised if anyone would dare to commit to organize events with international attendance for the first half of next year, as of now.
At best they'd be waiting until December or early 2021 to take a more informed decision.

Sorry if that doesn't really answer your question, but at least this is the situation in the industry I work in...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio, OnTheTrails

Last edit: Post by BofhSkull. Reason: typo

2021 events in Japan? 3 years 7 months ago #62289

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Sorry if that doesn't really answer your question, but at least this is the situation in the industry I work in...

same here.

2021 events in Japan? 3 years 7 months ago #62290

• OnTheTrails
  • OnTheTrails's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Yes, you make very good points. If it takes half a year to plan events, spring 2021 may be another lost season. Thank you for your insight.

I didn't expect to find this just now, but I thought I'd post it in case anyone is a member and has more information. I don't know if these dates were published recently or long ago:
www.bonsai-kyokai.or.jp/kokuhuten.htm

95th Kokufu Bonsai Exhibition 2021
Part 1; Feb. 8 to 11 (9:30 to 17:30, 11st 9:30 to 15:30)
Part 2; Feb. 13 to 17 (9:30 to 17:30, 16th 9:30 to 15:30)15th is a closed day
Place; Tokyo Metropolitan Art Museum in Ueno Park, Tokyo

2021 events in Japan? 3 years 7 months ago #62306

• lucR
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 487
My other hobby is jujutsu and we would have a big international taikai in Japan in spring 2021 but it is already cancelled. I would not plan too much big trips the next 2 years or so.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OnTheTrails

Last edit: Post by lucR.

2021 events in Japan? 3 years 2 months ago #65079

• persimmon
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 54

www.bonsai-kyokai.or.jp/kokuhuten.htm

95th Kokufu Bonsai Exhibition 2021
Part 1; Feb. 8 to 11 (9:30 to 17:30, 11st 9:30 to 15:30)
Part 2; Feb. 13 to 17 (9:30 to 17:30, 16th 9:30 to 15:30)15th is a closed day
Place; Tokyo Metropolitan Art Museum in Ueno Park, Tokyo

The bonsai exhibition at Tokyo Metropolitan Art Museum seems to take place as planned, despite ongoing state of emergency. But they reserve the right to make last minus alterations...

I expect the Omiya Bonsai Matsuri to take place some time in May.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OnTheTrails

2021 events in Japan? 3 years 2 months ago #65080

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1352
If this event really takes place it will be japan citizens only. The list of citizens denied entry to japan is very long:

www.japan.travel/en/coronavirus/

2021 events in Japan? 3 years 2 months ago #65090

• BofhSkull
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 121
Yup.
Have friends living there who can’t come here to EU as they have no guarantee of being able to get back into Japan, despite being married with a Japanese and having lived there for 25 years...

2021 events in Japan? 3 years 2 months ago #65092

• persimmon
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 54

Yup.
Have friends living there who can’t come here to EU as they have no guarantee of being able to get back into Japan, despite being married with a Japanese and having lived there for 25 years...

I can confirm that. Haven't seen my relatives in Europe for more than a year, and have missed lots of family events :( The current entry ban came completely unannounced. The previous entry ban just got lifted, and I assume lots of people went home for Xmas & New Years, and now can't come back to Japan. I know one family, where wife and kids are in Japan, but husband has been outside Japan all this time, and won't get a visa...

2021 events in Japan? 3 years 2 months ago #65094

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Yup, some of my friends left for their family over christmas, got Corona at home and were locked out of their flights for 2 weeks last week. EU is now also putting up barriers for entry and they seem to be locked in place in their native country.

I think everybody is missing family events this year even if it is possible to drive to see them: I for one do not want to be the carrier that bring a potentially deadly virus into the house of friends / family members. Over the last 2 months I have physically met my wife and the people in shops. Thats it. In fall I every 2-3 weeks would meet with 2 bonsai friends in one of the outdoor workspaces. Seen my parents last in early summer 2020. My sister in 2019. One unckle & Aunt in May 2019. The rest of my aunts/unckles.. 2019. That is pretty much my social interaction.

I am surprised people are surprised to be honest. This closing of borders was to be expected and I do not feel sorry for people who decided to do private long-distance travel. To be honest, I agree with a comment I think our prime minister made: People who decide to take long trips now for non-emergency reasons are being selfish.

• Page: