Just Learning! Weeping Willow cuttings - Advice Welcome!

Rendering Error in layout User/Profile: Class "KunenaFactory" not found. Please enable debug mode for more information.

Just Learning! Weeping Willow cuttings - Advice Welcome! was created by Masterarms

Posted 5 years 7 months ago #44261
I'll try to be quick and to the point.

Always have been interested in Bonsai, just recently diagnosed with an illness which will give me significantly more free time. I have always admired a specific Willow tree in my town, so I took some cuttings and left them in water for about 3-4 weeks. Two of them rooted pretty well.

I have a mixture of 1/3 Akadama, 1/3 Pumice, 1/3 Black Lava and a small amount of Horticultural Charcoal. Something I bought on Amazon and is definitely too expensive to be filling multi-gallon pots with but I believe I have some time before I have to re-pot. I am aware that I may have been better off starting them off in the ground but this is the route I have chosen.

As a random experiment, I decided to wire the one Willow. The roots grew into the water from the shoot in a very odd way. Long story short, that tree actually goes about 4 inches under the substrate horizontally and the roots are right underneath the substrate, actually above the stalk(?) Not sure if I'm making any sense.. I imagine the roots will grow down an do something odd, possible strangling itself? Possible becoming the strange above ground roots that I am hoping for?

Anyway, try to go easy on me. I'm sure I'm breaking all kinds of cardinal rules haha.
Last Edit:5 years 7 months ago by Masterarms

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by Masterarms.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rendering Error in layout User/Profile: Class "KunenaFactory" not found. Please enable debug mode for more information.

Replied by Clicio on topic Just Learning! Weeping Willow cuttings - Advice Welcome!

Posted 5 years 7 months ago #44262
It looks fine to.me.
Willows are easy to root from cuttings, so now it's waiting time!
by Clicio
The following user(s) said Thank You: Masterarms

Replied by Auk on topic Just Learning! Weeping Willow cuttings - Advice Welcome!

Posted 5 years 7 months ago #44267
Not sure if I have written this before but: bonsai are not created by kerping young plants small in small pots.
by Auk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio

Replied by Masterarms on topic Just Learning! Weeping Willow cuttings - Advice Welcome!

Posted 5 years 7 months ago #44271
I don't have a place to put them in the ground and I don't have $$ for nice substrate to fill 5 gallon pots. What do you suggest? From what I've read, these things grow pretty vigorously and I'll be re-potting soon anyway so I figure I have a little time to figure it out. These were taken from water and placed into these pots only yesterday, the roots are not anywhere near the sides or bottom.

I hope this is a more welcoming place than you make it seem, Auk. Reading through your comment history, it seems you are just commenting on threads asking for help from noobs saying "I'm not sure if I've said this before but: (something negative)"

May be the wrong place for me.

Replied by Auk on topic Just Learning! Weeping Willow cuttings - Advice Welcome!

Posted 5 years 7 months ago #44272
You do not need bonsai pots nor do you need bonsai soil. I never put young plants in relatively expensive substrate, i use that for bonsai only.

If my answers look repetitive that is because the questions are.
The cardinal rule you broke is not reading and researching this forum and website first.
Last Edit:5 years 7 months ago by Auk
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by Auk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Masterarms

Replied by Masterarms on topic Just Learning! Weeping Willow cuttings - Advice Welcome!

Posted 5 years 7 months ago #44276
Fair enough. I think it's also fair to mention that I just posted in the progressions sub-forum with the intent to update every now and then.

Let criticism be constructive, please. Although being on a public forum I suppose I open myself up for comment so, eh.

Point noted.
by Masterarms

Replied by Madartej21 on topic Just Learning! Weeping Willow cuttings - Advice Welcome!

Posted 5 years 7 months ago #44287
The point is that you don't grow bonsai by letting a cutting grow in a small pot. You need to get girth on the trunk first, some branches to work with at the right places and then you will have a tree that is still not a bonsai but you will be able to work on.

This cutting will take ages to reach that level of development. Of course you can wait, but you will get bored in the meantime.

Read articles and books, there are plenty of them mentioned on this forum. Collect some mature material that you can work and practice on and in the meantime you can let your willow grow wild preferably in a bigger container if you don't own a garden.

A plastic container is cheap I also use fruit baskets and you can always build your own wooden box for a very low amount of money. Bonsai substrates are expensive but most of the time you don't need it and there are far better solutions. Read the forum. Some of us use kitty litter, pine bark chips, coarse river sand, crushed zeolite or fired diatomaceous earth. These are all cheap and there are other options as well.
by Madartej21
The following user(s) said Thank You: Auk, Clicio

Just Learning! Weeping Willow cuttings - Advice Welcome! - Bonsai forum

Bonsai forum

Posted 5 years 7 months ago #44476
I understand the point. All I was saying is that I had these pots in my basement for years, so I didn't go buying expensive pots. I wanted to get started, I took some cuttings and spend $20 on substrate that Amazon delivered in 12 hours. This was a whim, I figured I could get the roots started because they were basically non existent.

I am basically bound to the house, unfortunately, due to medical issues. It was easy for me to get motivated and work with these small pots. I Have since bought 5 gallon pots which are made of some kind of fabric, people grow trees in them apparently without any issues. I now need to get soil.

I realize that I did not do this in the ideal way, I didn't realize there were such strict rules to what I thought was an art form. I am having fun cultivating small trees, isn't that what this is about?

Thanks for the suggestions Madarte, I just can't be digging around in a yard unfortunately. I am confined to growing on my deck, which is OK for me. Will be replanting sometime this week I think, updates soon.
by Masterarms

Posted 5 years 7 months ago #44479

Masterarms wrote: I didn't realize there were such strict rules to what I thought was an art form. I am having fun cultivating small trees, isn't that what this is about?

No strict rules but guidelines. And sure, excellent if you are having fun growing small trees. I guess you mean that, as it is art, you can do whatever you like; it is just a matter of being creative. Sure you can. Likewise, you can get a piece of wood, carve it, create a beautiful wooden bowl out of it. Just don't call what you're doing pottery, it would be silly.
Last Edit:5 years 7 months ago by Auk
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by Auk.

Posted 5 years 7 months ago #44606
"Misho Bonsai tree grown from seed. It refers to planting seeds and cultivating them. This way of cultivation does not require great care and is suitable for beginners. The method is advantageous in that a tree can be grown as a bonsai plant from the start and that its ''nebari'' surface roots develop sufficiently. However, it takes a great deal of time to grow a tree into a finished one, and the method may cause a transubstantiation phenomenon that makes a tree species unstable, disadvantageous points for the ''misho'' cultivation method. The method is applicable for most tree species. Among ''shohaku'' evergreen pines, it is often used for ''goyomatsu'' (Japanese White Pine) and ''kuromatsu'' (Japanese Black Pine) trees. ''Momiji'' (Japanese Maple), ''keyaki'' (Japanese Zelkova), ''kaede'' (Maple) and ''soro'' (Japanese Zelkova) are among ''zoki'' deciduous trees to which the ''misho'' cultivation method is applied."

It would seem there are many ways to bonsai. Thanks for your input, as always.