Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

Re: starting from seed 12 years 6 months ago #2113

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7
Hey...these look wonderfully healthy and happy. Good work, Hein and congratulations on your new *babies*! :cheer:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: starting from seed 12 years 6 months ago #2116

• hein
  • hein's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 2
Thank you Leslie

I am very happy about them. How are your ficus cuttings doing? Haven't been on the forum for a while so I haven't had chance to go through the topics.

Re: starting from seed 12 years 6 months ago #2117

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7
They're doing well, thanks Hein...sprouting new growth! Good to see you back on the forum. :)

Re: starting from seed 12 years 5 months ago #2428

• hein
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Phew. 3 weeks go past quickly. Been on a spiritual journey for a couple of weeks and it feels great being back.

Well I guess that I should give some updates. Hahaha

All 3 seedlings is doing very well and weird. One is growing like crazy, one is just enjoying life and growing as it suites him and the 3rd one.... Now there's a weirdo. It is alive but the growth it not showing. It stopped growing completely, but I don't mind. It will go perfectly as a mame bonsai. Its about 7,5cm tall. I will take some photos tomorrow and show you guys and gals. I re potted them into individual pots before I left on my journey and also snipped the taproots of each one. But like I said 2 are growing and 1 stopped.

Anyway, great being back

Re: starting from seed 12 years 2 months ago #3778

• hein
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Hey guys and gals

Here is a pic of the one acacia burkei tree. Its planted in a 15cm (6 inch) pot. This one grew the best of all. The other trees are more than half the size smaller. The soil I used for this one was a typical potting soil (Organic) and Perlite and mixed it 60/40.

You will notice on one of the pics that there is a yellowing going on. Is this Nitrogen difficiancy???

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Re: starting from seed 12 years 2 months ago #3780

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
*very* nice plant! Amazing how fast plants can grow when they are in the right climate. Tree seedlings here in the Netherlands hardly ever reach that size in one year. *sigh*

Hm.. Have you been fertilizing it? I am slightly worried that the plat is getting to a phase where it is looking for the fungi it needs for symbiosis. But I am by no means an accacia expert. Have you considered calling some of the growers in your region? This can also just be the natural aging of the branches, where leaves closer to the stem make place for more extended foliage. If you can get to a spot where these trees occur naturally, you could have a look around those and see what they do now?

Snipping the taproot can cause the plant to stop growing. You might find when you repot them next year that the one that did not grow above-ground, has a nicely developed rootmass. It may even get a jump next year and surprize you. With seedlings I have been growing I also noticed such variety (www.bonsaiempire.com/forum/basic-techniq...bonsai-a-pre-article).

Last edit: Post by leatherback.