air layering projects

• MWid
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 45

Replied by MWid on topic Re: air layering projects

Posted 11 years 11 months ago #5115
Here is the progression of the poplar tree that I air layered. If anyone has any knowledge of growing these trees as bonsai please let me know. I don't think the tree has any bonsai potential, the leaves are growing far too large, infact bigger than the parent tree. Not much has changed with the tree since i first potted it, other than two new stems which are growing far too straight haha.

I took a close up picture of the fungus which grows on this plant this time of year. Sadly this causes the leaves to die. When I initially potted the tree I saw this and took the risk of defoliating the tree in the hope that new uninfected leaves would grow. I think it may have helped because the tree still has leaves, and the parent tree has lost most of them already. :huh:

Haha at least I have a new plant for the garden ;).

The first picture is a when i potted it, before defoliating it. The rest were all taken today. I hope im not boring everyone hahaha :whistle:
by MWid

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MWid
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 11 years 11 months ago #5116
Next.. The progression of my hibiscus air layer.. The tree has grown tonnes of roots already, they already growing out the pot. :lol: So the plant is definitely healthy. I cut back the branches quite a bit since I potted it. I need to do something about the taper of the main trunk and where the branches grow from the main trunk there is lots of swelling. Im not sure how to fix this, maybe someone has an idea...I think im going to have to carve into then or use a branch cutter on the swelling growths..
by MWid

• MWid
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 11 years 11 months ago #5117
Nearly done :P

Here is the rose air layer that I did. The plant has just grown some new leaves for the winter ahead luckily :). I think my plan for this will be to create a semi-cascade using one of the two branches. The rose is a creeper type so hopefully i can get it to grow down and out of the pot. Any tips on shaping a rose bush? I don't think wire will work. And I definitely think it needs a bigger pot.
by MWid

• MWid
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 11 years 11 months ago #5118
Final update, if i haven't bored anyone enough :blush:

This is the celtis africana that I air layered a few months ago. I said I thought it had died in earlier posts :sick: , but I left the air layer on and kept watering it in the hope that something miraculous would happen... And luckily about two weeks ago new leaves sprouted from it :lol:

I think its a really slow growing plant.. Or just a bad air layer, there's only two roots that I can see growing. I think Im going to have to leave this on until spring :ohmy:
by MWid

• Vnolan
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 17

Replied by Vnolan on topic Re: air layering projects

Posted 11 years 11 months ago #5167
I'm really excited to see these progressions. I recently got an air layer kit with fancy boxes and things off of eBay. I'm a little hesitant to try it right now since the plague just hit my trees :(. Ill try it get i get my nerve back :). Watching your air layers is inspiring! I'm trying to bonsai a rose, too. It's not a cascade though, but I think that will be really pretty. Ill have to look up roses and bonsai-ing them. Keep us updated with pics!

Valerie
by Vnolan

• MWid
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 11 years 11 months ago #5172
an air layer kit? Post some pics so we can see what it looks like. What comes inside it? Air layering a rose would be the same as air layering any other plant, its fun air layering a rose bush because you can choose a section with lots of movement on it. What 'plague' hit your trees? Shame man.. Good luck with your air layers :)
by MWid

• Vnolan
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Posted 11 years 11 months ago #5217
This image is hidden for guests.

Here is a picture of what came with my kit. There are there air layering boxes, some labels to put on the boxes, some fertilizer, a training pot and some soil for my new air layers :). The directions say to use Perlite and sterilized Sphagnum Canadian Peat Moss.

There are two pages of directions, and the guy has a sense of humor :).

I decided to spend the money (It cost $17.95 plus $6.30 shipping) because, if you have ever seen me handle stretch wrap, it's not pretty and frankly I could use all the help I can get. I was trying to figure out the best way for me to do an air layer and these boxes are reusable. Granted I can only go up to a certain size tree but that's okay for right now.

Side note: No, my purple socks didn't come in the kit and no, you can't have them. I would have cropped them out but I'm feeling lazy.

Looking forward to your progressions. When I get up the nerve I'll post my own!
by Vnolan

This message has an attachment image.

• Vnolan
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Posted 11 years 11 months ago #5230

And to answer your question, the plague that hit my trees was just me not knowing what I am doing, and some weird weather and mold. Here is a picture of my rose:
by Vnolan

• MWid
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 11 years 11 months ago #5238
That kit looks really cool, but I don't think it's necessary at all. The reason why I chose to airlayer a few plants was to get some bonsai material without having to spend money on it. All I had to buy was root hormone powder. All you need to use is a plastic bag, zip ties and electrician tape; then its a matter of wrapping the sphagnum moss up tightly :). Im interested to see how the kit works.

Nice rose bush, you might have some problem reducing the leaf size tho.
by MWid

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193

Replied by manofthetrees on topic Re: air layering projects

Posted 11 years 11 months ago #5246
well looks like youve had some great success .as for the poplar the leaves will reduce with time the tree is just trying to grow and is producing large leaves to make more food.i have had this problem with my maples the leaves were as big as my hand yo uwill notice as the tree progresses that you will get large buds and small buds .these small buds are the ones you will want to keep cuz they will produce smaller branches and leaves. also with specimen bonsai that are being maintained at a certain size the trees are aloud to get rootbound this also will reduce leaf size
the rose can be wired but bending will not be drastic due to the hollow nature of their stems.you will have to use directional pruning for most of the designing.this would consist of cuting above a leaf set letting and it branch. if you want the trunk or branch to bend right cut the left one and so on
by manofthetrees