Bonsai forum

Mystery Plant!

• BassandBonsai
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by BassandBonsai on topic Re: Mystery Plant!

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #838
Unfortunately, the last of the leaves dropped off. I have changed the watering schedule yet again and hope that, if it doesn't sprout this year, it will sprout next spring. Also the soil is developing an interesting green moss that I hope will continue to accumulate.
Last Edit:12 years 9 months ago by BassandBonsai

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 12 years 9 months ago by BassandBonsai. Reason: Forgot the pics!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7

Replied by Leslie on topic Re: Mystery Plant!

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #844
I'm wondering if this might be a Sumac...if so, you may be watering it too much as they generally grow on high, rocky ground with dry soil conditions. Could be why the leaves dropped? I believe moss is generally an indication of low nutrient soil and high acidity combined with very damp conditions.

I thinking it might need the soil to dry out each time before watering, give it a good drink then let it dry out again and so on. Just my thoughts. :)

Leslie
by Leslie

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Re: Mystery Plant!

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #850
I find that plants whio have been maltreated fair best by just planting them in full soil, in a quit corner in the garden. Water when it has been dry; Make sure they do not get full strength sun, and are out of the wind. If they are supposed to live, they will. In a pot the risk of overly dry conditions is just too high, and the same with overly wet conditions. As you do not know what it is, you should just place it in the ground.
by leatherback

• BassandBonsai
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #855
Hmm, you're probably right. I don't know whether or not it's a sumac, and I won't be able to tell until it... drupes? Ah wikipedia, such strange new words! :side: Mom has agreed, and has given me tips on several others that have not been doing so well under my care. (Mostly overwatering. :oops: ) Now that the issue of indoor watering vs. outdoor watering has been addressed, and she has agreed to nurse my Brass Button ferns back to health ($2.00 from Home Depot, intended as an accent planting or ground cover) she has also opened up on the origins of our houseplants. It was grim indeed to realize she rescued almost all of them from being thrown out after family member's funerals! :ohmy: Apparently I had a great great grandma Lottie who taught mom how to care for plants. The only one not from somebody's death was her orchid, which dad gave to her as a gift. She's gotten it to bloom several times, and right now it has dropped them in favor of "leafing". I think that means it's growing. After browsing a few articles on orchids, I am suitably impressed and am allowing her to make corrections to my placement and watering schedule as she sees fit. I've done research, but research is nothing in the face of experience.
Right now it is 5:30 A.M. where I am, and I have stayed up all night talking family members, Bibles, and plants with my mom. She has gone to bed, but I have opted to stay up until sunrise so I can water everyone before going to sleep myself. I'll wait until it starts to cool down in the evening before I start digging, as it shouldn't take too long. (and will provide me ample time to catch up on lost sleep ;) ) Also the ferns are moving inside so that Dr. Mom can keep a close eye on them.
I do want to thank you all for this, as I never expected to connect to my mom as completely as I did tonight. I learned so many things about her I didn't know before, and I now have a bunch of shiny new plant knowledge! Indoor plants only need to be watered once a week, outdoor plants once a day, excluding the indoor lucky bamboo, which needs water every day. The orchid likes to be misted with water every once in awhile, as do all of the plants in the basket next to it. Also mom used to play guitar.
I do apologize for my sleep deprived ramble, but I am trying to convey how much this means to me. I could never have talked with my mom like this before bonsai, and without you guys it might've died before I got started! Thank you for all of the help and advice you've provided!
by BassandBonsai

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #864
Awwwhhh Hannah...thanks so much for sharing your very moving story. The profound bond of intimacy you and your Mom shared is truly priceless. It seems Mom has a lot of wisdom to share from her experience with plants over the years. To think it is your shared love of plants and your passion for Bonsai that has brought you closer together. How cool is that? :lol: You both are pretty special!!! ;)

Leslie
by Leslie

• BassandBonsai
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #872
Thank you Leslie. Dad was none too happy about me waking up at 3:00 in the afternoon, but in my mind, it was totally worth the scolding. :P It's too bad I only have two weeks until school starts up again...
Ah, well, at least I'll have environmental science instead of chemistry this year. I've been considering taking in one of my bonsai to show him. Talk about exhibiting a passion for learning! :lol:
by BassandBonsai

• Pinkham
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 62

Replied by Pinkham on topic Re: Mystery Plant!

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #874

Leslie wrote: I'm wondering if this might be a Sumac...if so, you may be watering it too much as they generally grow on high, rocky ground with dry soil conditions. Could be why the leaves dropped? I believe moss is generally an indication of low nutrient soil and high acidity combined with very damp conditions.

I thinking it might need the soil to dry out each time before watering, give it a good drink then let it dry out again and so on. Just my thoughts. :)

Leslie

I'm pretty sure this tree isn't a sumac....or at least not any sumac I have ever seen. I have one. the leaves are different than this ones.
by Pinkham

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #880
You may be right about that, Lance.

It is very difficult to tell for sure from the photos. According to my book "Trees of North America" there are six varieties of Sumac, some with narrow,lance-like leaflets with toothed margins, others with smaller yet, broader leaflets and no teeth on the margins. It also looks very similar to the Mountain Ash which is generally not found beyond the Southern Michigan and Wisconsin boarders with the exception of some of the more North/Eastern States. I suppose it may possible for one to find the odd 'accidental' near the Northern most part of Indiana. One would need very clear close-ups of the bark, the entire leaf branch, the individual leaflets and the leaflet stems to help in identification.

Leslie
by Leslie

• BassandBonsai
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #882
Well, I planted it in the ground earlier this evening, and I hope it survives. Also, someone had chopped off the top prior to me digging it up, and now the top has a hole in it surrounded by something whitish. It doesn't look good. :(
Regardless of what tree/shrub this is, it's going to need some serious TLC to survive the winter.
by BassandBonsai

• Pinkham
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 62

Replied by Pinkham on topic Re: Mystery Plant!

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #899
If this tree is a sumac, you don't have to worry about it. I have one and it flourishes no matter what I do to it. When I dug mine up last year it too lost all it's leaves. They came back...and I chopped the trunk...it back budded like crazy. I posted a picture of it in another post.
by Pinkham