Bonsai forum

Mystery Plant!

• BassandBonsai
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by BassandBonsai on topic Re: Mystery Plant!

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #903
I hope so. I guess I'll just have to wait until next spring.
by BassandBonsai

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• BassandBonsai
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #1384
Alright everyone, I have good news and bad news. The bad news is the plant died. :( It just couldn't take everything that was done to it. The good news is that I went back to aunt Lucy's yard and picked up another one. I can also confirm that they are both walnut trees, as leatherback suggested. Aunt Lucy elaborated on her earlier statement, that they are called stinkweed because they "stink like hell when they burn," and considering the two full-grown walnut trees in her backyard with the same leaf pattern and smell, I think the mystery is solved. The house had some trees in the backyard, two of which were walnuts. When the previous owners stopped caring for the yard, the normal tree saplings were able to grow without the threat of a lawnmower, taking over the yard.

The new one I have potted in a pot with roughly 45% potting soil and 45% diatomaceous earth. I am less worried about it, as it has one stalk that is healthy and growing coming off of a stump that has clearly been hacked off, proving its resiliency. It also has a healthy root system, rather than one large tap root. :) I think it will spend this winter in the house to recover, though, as I highly doubt it is ready to weather the cold Indiana winter outside in a pot.

Anyway, thank you for the mystery solved, and wish me luck on keeping this one alive! I don't know what I'd do if I lost another tree...
by BassandBonsai

• Pinkham
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 62

Replied by Pinkham on topic Re: Mystery Plant!

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #1387
I Don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but it is the wrong time of year for collecting trees. This one may likely die as well. Early spring is the right time. Some trees can be collected in fall.
by Pinkham

• BassandBonsai
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #1389
But... it is fall, at least where I am. It's that early fall/late summer blurriness, but school has started and some of my outdoor trees are already losing leaves.
It's going to stay inside for the winter, anyhow. And I had to get it then or never, as my Aunt Lucy has already hired somebody to dig up the backyard. They already took out everything in the front.
Thanks for the reminder, though. I definitely won't be doing anything this winter. :unsure:
by BassandBonsai

• Pinkham
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #1390
Hannah,
Don't keep this tree inside. It will die of you do. Its a deciduous tree. It needs a dormant period. The only trees that should be kept inside are tropicals and sub tropicals.It really is still too early for collecting. By fall I mean mid October. Not mid august.
Last Edit:12 years 8 months ago by Pinkham
Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by Pinkham.

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7

Replied by Leslie on topic Re: Mystery Plant!

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #1395
Hi Hannah,

Glad you solved the *who* of your mystery plant. :cheer:

Although it is technically still summer (until Sept. 21st) it is a bit late in the season to be collecting trees from the wild. It is true... you can't bring an a deciduous tree from our temperate climate "indoors"...it just won't survive because it needs that winter freeze to go into it's dormancy period, as Lance says, and the only way it will get it is to be out in the cold during the winter. Place it outside in a well protected spot from the winds. This is your chance to make one of those styrofoam cooler shelters for it. You could also place some fresh straw (the stuff that is used for horse bedding) ...not hay...around the tree first then cover with the styro foam...you will have to weight it down so it doesn't blow away. Another good place is in a garage or old wooden shed that is *not* heated...it will be well protected from killer frosts and frigid winds which is your primary concern. Hopefully this will give your walnut tree a chance to survive thru the winter and be ready to sprout in the spring.;)
by Leslie

• BassandBonsai
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #1409
Thanks for the heads up. Wait until October before collecting anything else, and keep the walnut in the garage instead of inside with the tropicals. I knew there was a reason to post about this! :lol: Thanks for the info!
by BassandBonsai

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7

Replied by Leslie on topic Re: Mystery Plant!

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #1414
Hi Hannah,

I'm sorry...I may have confused you as to what season you can and cannot collect trees from the wild. By the month of Sepetember as the tempertures start to cool down, the trees begin their preparation for their winter sleep. If you dig up a tree during this time you will disrupt that routine preparation. You must wait until Spring before you can disturb them. Here is a link that explains it quite well.

www.bonsaiempire.com/grow/collecting-trees

Hope this helps! ;)
by Leslie

• BassandBonsai
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #1418
Ok... now I'm really confused. Do or do not collect trees in fall? And when during fall, before or after they drop leaves? This is all that link had to say:

"When to collect Yamadori?
For most tree species the best time to dig out Bonsai trees is during the early spring. "
by BassandBonsai

• Pinkham
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #1421
Hannah,
You can collect trees in the fall....but late october..not August. The trees are still growing and storing energy for the winter. If you dig them up now you disturb the roots and they don't have enough time to recover before the winter.Fall Collecting in fall is possible when the trees are dormant. you need to keep the trees out of wind and severe cold, but not inside.
Now spring...
Collecting of trees in spring is best because it gives the root system time to grow before the onset of winter.
This should be done right before the tree buds. This is the time of accelerated growth for the tree and it will recover easier.Some people recommend that you chop off the unwanted branches before it's removed from the ground so the tree can use the energy to produce strong roots instead of leaves on branches that will be removed anyway. Make sure you get as much of the root ball as possible. If you don't the tree might survive,and produce a few leaves, but won't grow vigorously.
After collection, keep the tree in a shady area outstide and let it recover. slowly increase it's sun exposure.
by Pinkham