Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

Re: Large Taxus Baccata 12 years 5 months ago #2655

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193
oh yeah graham potter is the master of yamadori. i think ive watched all of the kaizan videos at least twice.i wish i lived in the u.k. and had the cashto pick up a couple of his creations.just amazing
The following user(s) said Thank You: Youri1995

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Large Taxus Baccata 12 years 5 months ago #2663

• leatherback
  • leatherback's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Or better yet: Take a few courses. (Sorry, can't see myself buying trees that are very much completed. After completion I will probable end up giving away the trees for a bit of $)

Re: Large Taxus Baccata 12 years 5 months ago #2671

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7
Thank so much for the video link, J. Fabulous videos! :P

Re: Large Taxus Baccata 12 years 5 months ago #2674

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
you may get an angry call soon your project has me eyeing up my mother-in-laws hedges :whistle: ...its jelle's fault your middle hedge is missing :P

Re: Large Taxus Baccata 12 years 5 months ago #2677

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7
Hahahahaaa...:lol: Keith, now you know...you won't earn brownie points with your mother-in-law doing foolish things like that! And I doubt blaming J will cut it with her. :whistle:

Re: Large Taxus Baccata 12 years 5 months ago #2681

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hm yeah; clipping away at hedges would be annoying to your MOIL.

However, I find that on local trading websites (In the Netherlands we have Marktplaats and Ebay in Germany, the latter available worldwide) I find you can get astonishing deals. Growers at the end of summer who do not want to be left with stock, garden centres clearing out for the christmas decoration etcetc. That is how I found this one.

I have been eying a 50+ year old juniper, but that would have been a 5 hour round trip, not being sure I could actually transport is, or even have it survive (The juniper was in a backyard). If you read through grahams website, you will find that that is also how he gets a part of his rough material: pre-dumpster-hopping. And honestly, unless you are considering owning a bit of land, and you are willing to let the plants stand there for 10-15 years, what better way is there?

Old hedge-rows are in fact ideal: The plants will have taper, character yet no serious trunc-cuts. It the hedge has only been a low one, you can keep the plant as it is, and with some trimming and forming you have a 60cm bonsai in just a few years. 'Never pass on a good trunk and nebari'. (See also my article under review with Oscar on this topic; I guess it will be online in a week or so.

Re: Large Taxus Baccata 12 years 2 weeks ago #4523

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
With spring starting, it was time to look at this taxus again. So last weekend I grabbed my chainsaw and had some fun. Rough cuts for now. It gets to recover and will proceed in summer with the finer work and perhaps a trial to reduce the rootbal again.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Large Taxus Baccata 12 years 2 weeks ago #4526

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
hey jelle,
cool never thought to use a chainsaw...i was going to use a dremmel tool to carve that unknown shrub i posted but was dreading tha hour of hard carving...not no more ;)

Re: Large Taxus Baccata 12 years 2 weeks ago #4532

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I only used the chainsaw to get the large lumps out. The finer work will be done by dremel and yes. this will be a few days of work to get done.

[edit:} Just checked your unknown shrub. That is a very thin stick. I think that using a chainsaw will be way to rough and tricky. Use the dremel or take a normal drill and get some woodworker bits to put on it. A bit larger tool. But a chainsaw will wreck it..

Last edit: Post by leatherback.

Re: Large Taxus Baccata 12 years 2 weeks ago #4536

• snuffy
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 15
Nice start on the tree, it's looking good. I got an elm that i'm digging up soon that has a 6-8 inch trunk, that I was planning to use the chainsaw on the half dead trunk. I will have to use the chainsaw on a huge side root just to dig it up. I have been thinking about this thing for a couple months now, digging and future styling that is. Got to love friends and relitives with great material they want to give away.