Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

juniper 12 years 7 months ago #1378

• Pinkham
  • Pinkham's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 62
You know how people say that your trees will tell you what style they want....when they are ready. Well I got this juniper this past spring. A branch was dead and rotting so I decided to work on the whole thing. I clipped a lot of the growth and gave it kind of an initial styling. I didn't really know where I was going with this tree until today.
I was looking at it all wrong. I think this needs to be a wind swept/semi cascade :)
whadda ya' think?

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Pinkham.

Re: juniper 12 years 7 months ago #1382

• BassandBonsai
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 0
Oooo, good idea! I can see that being a passable semi-cascade with only a simple repot! Nice eye!

Re: juniper 12 years 7 months ago #1393

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7
Hi Lance,

Just wondering...were you in a yoga pose when you made this discovery. :silly: LOL! Juss kiddin'! I think it's a great discovery that has wonderful potential.

Might the root ball being on the side present any challenges in the future? Like when it is ready to place in a bonsai dish? But then, with careful, well-timed and very *gradual* root work it could prove to make a very unique specimen. What say you?

I just read a link shared on the forum that said yellowing needles on a Juniper (in your case they're now brown) can indicate a need for repotting. Could it be possible with this Juniper? Great vision and super photos. Thanks for sharing!

Re: juniper 12 years 7 months ago #1394

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hey Lance...just me again! It was you who provided the link I mentioned in previous post. Scroll down to the second photo, K?

www.bonsaiforbeginners.com/Repotting-bonsai.html

Re: juniper 12 years 7 months ago #1401

• Pinkham
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hey Leslie, The roots shouldn't be too much of a problem. I'm thinking of this kind of a pot...
I looked at the second picture in that link you asked me too.....I don't know what I'm looking for. Is this a scavenger hunt? :)

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: Post by Pinkham.

Re: juniper 12 years 7 months ago #1407

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
The pot is beautiful, Lance!

No, we're not on a scavenger hunt, silly! I'll re-type my question:

I noticed in your photo of this Juniper some browning of the needles. I recently read a link you shared elsewhere on the forum that says: "yellowing of the needles can indicate a need for re-potting." To my knowledge, yellow needles eventually become brown, right? So I was wondering if your Juniper might be telling you it needs re-potting?
See previously posted link showing yellowing needles.

Re: juniper 12 years 7 months ago #1412

• Pinkham
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Yes. it needs to be slip potted until spring when the root work and actual re-potting will happen.

Re: juniper 12 years 7 months ago #1415

• hein
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 2
That tree has got a lot of potential. Going with the semi cascade would be my choice.

Not that I wanna steal your thread but I have a juniper question. The yellowing of needles was mentioned and so my question is this. On my juniper procumbes, the new or highest grow tips have turned a dark purple color. What does that mean. It had a tough year last year. It has been potted into a bigger container to recover. I can only take photos on the weekend.

Re: juniper 12 years 7 months ago #1420

• Pinkham
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Dark purple ? That's new to me. unless they start to die I wouldn't be to concerned. It could just be the variety of juniper. In my case, the tree is so root bound that it needs a re-pot.The yellowing needles are a sign. I wish I had taken pictures of this tree when I got it. There was a large dead, rotting branch and lots of brown needles inside. I did some cleaning up to make it slightly presentable :) I'm going to put it in a bigger pot this fall without disturbing the roots, then start major work next spring.

Re: juniper 12 years 7 months ago #1423

• hein
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 2
What is the signs of a juniper dying? Just wanna check. Hope I'm wrong