Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Asking for help developing branches 1 year 3 months ago #78897

• 31Zulu
  • 31Zulu's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
I’m new to this forum and Im looking forward to learning and participating in discussions.

I have been growing this Japanese Maple from a sapling I bought on the side of the road years ago. I always intended to make it a bonsai but I wanted to allow it to grow and mature for a few years before making any significant changes. I’ve grown happy with how the trunk has grown and would like to start developing the branches better now so I’m reaching out for some advise on where I could start with that. I’ve taken photos from different angles to help. Any input is appreciated. Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Asking for help developing branches 1 year 3 months ago #78898

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1326
No photos in your post. Please try again and use the insert button.

Asking for help developing branches 1 year 3 months ago #78899

• lucR
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 487
There you go :-)

I must say that is a very decent yard-adori. Good nebari ( as far as i can see), good movement in the trunk, existing branches are good. Lots of possibilities.
My advice would be to contact a local bonsai club and ask there, this is a tree with potential so people that can actually see the tree and knwow hat to do with it can help you.
You already did a very good job growing it in the ground to thicken it up, now its time to take the next step and cut it back hard, dig it up and put it in a training pot/box

[/quote]

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: Post by lucR.

Asking for help developing branches 1 year 3 months ago #78902

• 31Zulu
Thank you. I’ve cared for it for about 10 years now. I’ve had it in the ground for 2-3 years to let the trunk grow thick and beaches grow freely. I’ve just kept it from getting taller than I wanted it to be. I’ve been more patient than I thought I’d be with the process but I’m excited to begin to tame it and give it more shape.

Asking for help developing branches 1 year 1 month ago #79421

• 31Zulu
Since I am happy with the trunk and nebari, I was planning to move it to a training pot this spring. My questions:

1. I chopped several branches this winter. Is it ok to move this season or should I wait another year?

2. There are large branches that I don’t want anymore can I cut them all back this year or wait?

3. If I prune most of the branches will it sprout new ones that I can train and develop?

4. If I remove the sacrificial branches and no longer have them will the scars still close

5. …..any other tips?

Asking for help developing branches 1 year 1 month ago #79422

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
1: We don't know how much you cut this winter. But since it seams like you want to cut even more, it may be better wait until next year to dig it up.

2: It is risky to cut maples in spring. Better wait until summer when sap flow is lower.

3: yes. However, the tree decides itself where to backbud. No guaranty that it will happen where you want.

4: Yes it will heal by time, but it does not happen over night.

Last edit: Post by Tropfrog.

Asking for help developing branches 1 year 3 weeks ago #79521

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653

Since I am happy with the trunk and nebari, I was planning to move it to a training pot this spring. My questions:
1. I chopped several branches this winter. Is it ok to move this season or should I wait another year?

You can absolutely move it this spring. But see the point below.

2. There are large branches that I don’t want anymore can I cut them all back this year or wait?

IF you are moving the tree too, I would not remove the big branches completely. Japanese maples are prone to dying back and when you also reduce the roots functioning this may be enhanced. You could cut back to stumps, leaving maybe 3, 4 nodes worth of branch there (Do you know about nodes?)

3. If I prune most of the branches will it sprout new ones that I can train and develop?

Absolutely. A healthy japanese maple can be expected to pop buds all over after a big prune. Buds only show up at the nodes, and can be anywhere around the trunk, at that level.

4. If I remove the sacrificial branches and no longer have them will the scars still close

They will close, but use a good cutpaste (NOT the regular stuff used in horticulture). Also, it is important to prune the back back to slightly below the trunk surface, and to prune when the tree is active. Cutting deep when dormant is asking for die-back

5. …..any other tips?

Enjoy the process. Learn. Take it slow and do not do everything at once.
I have all this info also in video format on my youtube channel www.youtube.com/growingbonsai

Asking for help developing branches 9 months 3 weeks ago #80409

• Laddo
"2: It is risky to cut maples in spring. Better wait until summer when sap flow is lower."

what is your reasoning for this? pruning maples in early-mid spring is recommended. The heavy sap flow from pruning during that time of year has been proven not to be harmful at all.

Asking for help developing branches 9 months 3 weeks ago #80413

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I have not seen any proof of that. Sap is water, sugar and starches. When trees lose sap they lose vitality. Summer pruning is how it is done by everyone I know and I can guaranty that it works better.

Asking for help developing branches 9 months 3 weeks ago #80435

• Laddo
"Certain species of trees, such as maples (Acer spp.) and birches (Betula spp.), drip sap when pruned in the early spring when sap flow is heavy (see table below). Although unattractive, sap drainage has little negative effect on tree growth. Some of the sap dripping can be avoided by pruning in summer or at other times of the year."
This is an excerpt from an article written by Ed Gilman from the University of Florida
hort.ifas.ufl.edu/woody/pruning-when.shtml

"There is no need for alarm if this sap flow occurs and the overall health of the tree is not going to be affected."
This is an excerpt from an article written by Lindsey Purcell from Purdue University
www.purdue.edu/fnr/extension/question-tr...that%20was%20removed.

There are tons of research papers and articles written by industry & academic experts on this topic. The "bleeding" sap my be unsightly, but it is not harmful and it should only be taken as a subjective consideration based on aesthetics... not health. By all means, continue doing what works for you, but anecdotal evidence is nothing more than anecdotal.

• Page: