Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

Defoliation 9 years 7 months ago #12110

• alainleon1983
  • alainleon1983's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 185
Hi there guys... This time I think I have good news...

Remember my second Acer Palmatum tree that wasn't resprouting after I (wrongly) performed a full defoliation on it? Well... it has already begun to resprout! After 46 days (a bit more than 6 weeks)... I thought I had lost that one and here comes nature and appropriated cares to prove me wrong!
Oh... and I´m posting a couple of pictures for you to see it...

P.S.: In Arce Palmatums trees remain quite difficult to prevent their leaves from scorching... I´m having an awful time trying to avoid this... and failing at it I think

Alain

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by alainleon1983.

Defoliation 9 years 7 months ago #12116

• Shaunlew21
  • Thanks received: 1
Congrats! I recently had a similar experience with a few of my elms..it's always nice to see a plant bounce back after a mistake. Nature is quite resilient!
The following user(s) said Thank You: alainleon1983

Defoliation 9 years 7 months ago #12117

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 175
LOL all of that argument and it all turned out to be okay!!

Defoliation 9 years 7 months ago #12123

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653

Although I realize you are the expert on plants, I do not agree with you. I think the take-home message is more: Note how indeed when you defoliate a tree when it is not ready, you damage a tree quite badly. After regular AP defoliation you should see leaves appear within a week. After 6 weeks it should be completely full and green. The tree is absolutely not OK. It now needs to grow to build up strength for winter, and hopefully be able to build branches strong enough to survive a cold winter, otherwise all that was reached is a completely lost growing season.

Defoliation 9 years 7 months ago #12124

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

As already pointed out by LB, it did not turn out OK. The plant has little time left to prepare itself for winter and not only may this mean a lost season, as the tree will have to recover before it can properly grow again, while there is hope, there still is a chance it will not survive.

Even if the tree survives and stays OK, the arguments are still valid. You do not defoliate a tree like this - and if you do, you do not understand why you defoliate. Defoliation is done on an established tree, with a good trunk, roots and branches - and one that is very healthy. You do not defoliate young trees - they need their leaves to grow.

You may think that fertilizer is food for trees, but actually that is wrong. It's the leaves that make the food through photosynthesis. Without leaves, the tree cannot produce food, no food will be transported and stored, so the plant will have no extra reserves. That's one of the reasons why you only defoliate healthy, established trees.

Last edit: Post by Auk.

Defoliation 9 years 7 months ago #12130

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Theleaves create glucose which Is the energy needed to build, without nitrogen,the building material, it cannot grow.

Last edit: Post by bob.

Defoliation 9 years 7 months ago #12133

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653

Theleaves create glucose which Is the energy needed to build, without nitrogen,the building material, it cannot grow.

* ! Can you maybe just sit back and relax and NOT counter argue everything said here?

Glucose is the base for cellulose, which is what -next to lignin- is what builds trees. Nitrogen is used for proteins, which is the stuff that actually runs the plant.

Stop arguing. Read. Learn. And as Auk already pointed out: Have a read every once in a while before you post an answer. You will eventually kill someone with the type of advice you have been giving recently.

Defoliation 9 years 7 months ago #12134

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I will not counter argue, but the tense in which I meant for the okay thing post was the present tense if you may not have known, basically the short term run with the okay thing. I am sorry if I may have sounded like counter arguing but I only mean to correct.

Defoliation 9 years 7 months ago #12135

• alainleon1983
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Bob, this time I do have to agree with Auk and Leatherback... I made a mistake and I will probably pay for it... The thing is I was just very happy of not having kill my tree just yet, but as the winter comes I´ll start to get more and more worry about him. Nevertheless, I do think this debate has been a rewarding one. I mean, I´ve learnt a few things along the way that I hadn't heard of. And on top of that, these two very technical responses, again from Auk and Leatherback, contribute even more to my process of learning and I dare to say to the process of us all. The insights on glucose, nitrogen, proteins and photosynthesis are very useful to me.

P.S.: I truly believe Bob is a very enthusiastic person and even if enthusiasm might be reckless some times, it certainly doesn't come without a strong dose of passion... And passion would never be a bad thing... So, maybe we could cut some slack on Bob, ain't that right? ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: bob

Defoliation 9 years 7 months ago #12136

• alainleon1983
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Oh, I forgot... One question comes to my mind...

Now that the autumn is coming and winter is nearing I would like to know around what temperatures Acer Palmatum begin their dormancy period? I mean, I live in a place where still, in autumn, temperatures might be a bit elevated, actually I think until november, more or less, I won´t be receiving really cold temperatures. So, I´d like to know if there is a temperature threshold for the Acers to enter dormancy.

Thank you all in advance...