Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

What to do? 9 years 6 months ago #12815

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 175
Thank you for pointing that out. We do not give the other half of the info due to the fact that it is pretty irrelevant (well i do any way).But thank you for pointing that out and i am sure we will all improve our replies based on your query.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

What to do? 9 years 6 months ago #12816

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

What I was taken aback with wasn't the criticism. I fully expected constructive criticism. I don't like being told to give up. I also hate criticism that doesn't provide any reasoning

I understand your disappointment, but you're not being fair.
I've re-read this thread and NO ONE has said that you should give up on this tree.
(note that I did say: "Great that you managed to keep this tree alive since your 14th and for such a long time". That was a compliment)

All comments more or less say the same: this tree needs growth first.

The advise was based on your statement that you are 'into bonsai'. It's only fair that we point out your tree is not very good starting material. It's a step in the learning process: accept this fact. It will be difficult to correct the flaws this tree has.

Hence the honest advise to get another tree - NOT to throw away this one, but get another tree, so you have something to work on, while you let your ficus grow.

What to do? 9 years 6 months ago #12817

• spock22a
  • spock22a's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
bob- I know from talking with other beginners on websites with this same format that the why is the entire point of when they ask questions.....

Auk- I'm not disappointed with the fact that my tree is bad material. As I said, I knew that coming into this! I am disappointed with the lack of useful advice for this tree. As I also said I AM looking at other trees, and know what to look for. I just wanted help with this tree. I know it isn't a great tree. I was just asking for advice with it. The only thing your advice said was "this isn't a good tree. Get another." I saw your complement, but it was followed with what I interpreted as a back handed "your time was wasted."

What to do? 9 years 6 months ago #12818

• spock22a
Just forget it. I don't want to be attacked, and I don't want to get into arguments with people. I have severe social anxiety, and depression. It took me hours to write that first post, and I have been having anxiety attacks since then because of this. I'll find some other way to get information.

What to do? 9 years 6 months ago #12819

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

I am disappointed with the lack of useful advice for this tree.with it. The only thing your advice said was "this isn't a good tree. Get another." I saw your complement, but it was followed with what I interpreted as a back handed "your time was wasted."

Nope. I advised you to let the ficus grow. You will need growth first before you can do something with it.
Giving a styling advise - or any other useful advice then 'let it grow' - for the tree in its current state is not really possible.
Here are the care guidelines for your tree:

www.bonsaiempire.com/tree-species/ficus

BTW, wouldn't it have been better to ask advice before defoliating it?

Last edit: Post by Auk.

What to do? 9 years 6 months ago #12820

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Just forget it. I don't want to be attacked, and I don't want to get into arguments with people. I have severe social anxiety, and depression. It took me hours to write that first post, and I have been having anxiety attacks since then because of this. I'll find some other way to get information.

Right. Well, I have experience with that too, and I know how that clashes with my lack of social skills.
We are NOT attacking you. You have done a great job caring for this tree for 8 years.
You have done a not so great job into developing it into a bonsai, but that is not something to be anxious about.
You have expressed a will to learn. You WILL learn.

I understand the emotional value of your ficus. Keep it. Continue to care for it.
Get another tree while you let your ficus grow, post pics before you start working on it. We ARE willing to help and give advice.

Last edit: Post by Auk.

What to do? 9 years 6 months ago #12824

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
Hey,

Good to see you are still around.

I think it should be fine when you remove the rest of the foliage then, although it is tricky as I cannot tell how healthy it was ;) (Note however, there are people taht say full defoliation is a bad idea, no matter which species or time of the year; I forone do not agree with them ;D )

You will find in time that bonsai is full of old wifes tales, customs-become-rules and hard{hot}heads. Just take it as people being dedicated ;)

As for the rest.. When you repot, I would move the plant in a pot, deep enough to create a more or less normal root-base. Keep some of the inflated roots about the ground, and then start building your tree. Give it a fairly large pot, so it will shoot out long branches and grow a thicker branch.

What to do? 9 years 6 months ago #12830

• spock22a
leatherback- I think I'll try full defoliation. This tree has been very healthy (and very tolerant. I was terrible with watering when I was younger). I'll wait until my fresh supply of fertilizer comes in so then it will be getting heat, light, humidity, and nutrients all at the same time. This tree has consistently only gotten fresh shots at the end of branches, but never any along the main branches. If this works for this tree that could help. Thanks so much!

What to do? 9 years 6 months ago #12835

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653

This tree has consistently only gotten fresh shots at the end of branches, but never any along the main branches.

THat normally is a sign of too little luight and/or weak plants. But I find that some species of ficus do indeed require a little tickly to get them to branch. Exactly the reason why I defoliated comepltely.

What to do? 9 years 6 months ago #12841

• spock22a
My past few roommates have tended to try to shut the blinds whenever I'm out of the room. Lately the tree has been getting 6-7+ hours of bright morning/afternoon light and I have a single so I can keep the blinds open as much as I want. :) I'll propably defoliate all but the one or two leaves I've gotten to grow on the main branches.