Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

Inspiration welcomed 7 years 11 months ago #20930

• RayC
  • RayC's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 4
I just found a nice article about sacrifice branches on your website so shall read that.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Inspiration welcomed 7 years 11 months ago #20931

• Samantha
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 151
They have some pretty good stuff on this sight.

Inspiration welcomed 7 years 11 months ago #20933

• RayC
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Yes I have been reading on here too but leathers site came up first in a Google search. Closer shot of Base

And another of the tree
Will get round to pruning some off the bottom today.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: Post by RayC.

Inspiration welcomed 7 years 11 months ago #20935

• brkirkland22
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 128
You might want to scrub some of the old bark off around the base to see what you've got underneath. Sometimes you can find damaged or unsightly things hidden under the flakes. It can help with decision making. This doesn't mean take all the bark off, just scrub with a toothbrush.

Keep in mind, you'll eventually have to make a decision on your three trunks. Removing one or two will create a large base with a thinner next step/trunk. That next step will need to increase in thickness (by letting grow), or the base will have to be thinned (by carving), to create taper. If you want to keep two, one of them will need to grow larger for a proper twin trunk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RayC

Inspiration welcomed 7 years 11 months ago #20937

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Don't "just prune some things of the base". FIRST find out what the plan is. Better wait a year then cut something off that takes 3 to regrow..

Removing green stuff at the base, will cause trouble later on if you remove the wrong stuff.

Inspiration welcomed 7 years 11 months ago #20945

• RayC
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
I initially thought about removing one or two branches to thicken the Base but I just can't decide where I'm going with it. If I decide to trim anything off, will I be able to take cuttings or will they not root this time of year?

Another question that has been in my mind for a few days and I've tried looking, but what is the biggest cutting you have taken and rooted? I know there's air layering if you want to do thick branches and I am not taking anything off my own tree yet but I'm just curious as to how thick a cutting you can root.

Thanks again I'm reading reading reading and watching videos and learning so much.

Inspiration welcomed 7 years 11 months ago #20949

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
For juniperus, I would not try to root anything thicker than a few mm. I do not know whether thicker ones would stike without additional resources such as misters etc. I root my cutting by just putting them in the ground and forgetting about them for a year.

The thickest I have gotten to root was a 10cm thick willow. But that is a whole different story than junipers

Inspiration welcomed 7 years 11 months ago #21076

• RayC
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
I decided to prune this juniper (foilage only no branches) so we could see the structure better. I annealed some electrical cable earlier and had a go at my first (temporary) wiring, which was fun lol. I just wanted to spread the branches open so you can see what it's like.

Besides either the fact that I used a multi strand cable, or I spaced it too far apart, or the material is now too woody....the wire seemed to have no use trying to put a band in the trunk. I did minimal wiring and even that I plan to take out soon but I'd like to leave the tree a while until I find an idea I like.

How long do you think I should leave it alone for now? Not that I'm in a rush but the woody trunks are worrying me being a beginner to styling and maybe once I know what I want id like to slowly start bending everything into position.

Any ideas and feedback is really appreciated.

Thank you.

P.s apologies it's 2am photos inside. Going to bed now :blink:

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: Post by RayC.

Inspiration welcomed 7 years 11 months ago #21085

• Samantha
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 151
Well you cut off some of the tops as shown below (maybe lower), put it in the sun, and wait a while, then repeat the process. Of course, you could plant it a field, and let cattle trample it (really).

Inspiration welcomed 7 years 11 months ago #21087

• RayC
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Thanks for the advice. When you say below are you referring to your profile picture or did you forget to insert the pic lol

I don't feel confident leaving it with the cattle as it's one of my biggest 'trees'