Bonsai forum

Inspiration welcomed

• Samantha
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 151

Replied by Samantha on topic Inspiration welcomed

Posted 7 years 11 months ago #21118
It was there, i'm sure of it. Oh well, here it is again.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.
by Samantha

This message has an attachment image.

The following user(s) said Thank You: RayC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RayC
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 4

Replied by RayC on topic Inspiration welcomed

Posted 7 years 11 months ago #21283
Little update and an idea that I have. I don't plan on doing anything just yet (still not confident I've read enough) but what do you think of fusing the 2 trunks on the right hand side together to form one thick trunk. And the other I'd like to form an interesting cascading branch. Maybe create an s-shaped trunk with the thicker trunk?

I'm still learning ofcourse and have ordered/downloaded a few more as I'm either forgetting information I'm reading or it has not been clearky understood, but I have a few questions since its growing taller than I'd like it to. I know that pruning off the top will encourage growth further down. I'm a little hesitant at the moment to cut anything off as I do not want to kill anything. I can see up to 3 nice brightly green inches of length added to the branches I'd already like to trim off, but would this stop that branch growing in length?

I also remember saving an image on my phone before I had to get it repaired of how to trim or pinch a juniper leaf and I am also unclear on what I can and can't cut off the leaf without killing it also.

I do apologise if this has already been covered but wanted to ask to be sure as I don't want to mess anything up.
Last Edit:7 years 11 months ago by RayC

This message has attachments images.

Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by RayC.

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Inspiration welcomed

Posted 7 years 11 months ago #21285
From the pictures it looks like there are 3 trunks emerging from the same spot. That is not so great. I would probably remove one of them, en leave a stub of an inch or two. Remove the bark of that stub.

Have you read about trunk thickneess vss height of a bonsai?

Cutting off will limit trunk thickness increase. What you can do, is create a bit of movement in one branc the lower trunk, remove the last third of that branch and use the side-branches to work towards taper & thickness. The third trunk you leave on, removen the side branches for the third nearest to the roots, so no shade is on the green nearest to the roots.

Then let it all grow for at least a year.

Does this make sense?
by leatherback

• RayC
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Posted 7 years 11 months ago #21286

leatherback wrote: From the pictures it looks like there are 3 trunks emerging from the same spot. That is not so great. I would probably remove one of them, en leave a stub of an inch or two. Remove the bark of that stub.

That is correct. One trunk splitting into 3 trunks. I remember reading here on someone else's post that 3 isn't great, that's why I was wondering if I could fuse 2 together as I have read a little on the subject and also the fusing competition that's going on (very inspiring). Would this stub later become jin?

leatherback wrote: Have you read about trunk thickneess vss height of a bonsai?

Nothing particular focusing on that matter in detail. I'd be very interested if you know of anywhere I could find out more (preferably on the internet)

leatherback wrote: Cutting off will limit trunk thickness increase. What you can do, is create a bit of movement in one branc the lower trunk, remove the last third of that branch and use the side-branches to work towards taper & thickness. The third trunk you leave on, removen the side branches for the third nearest to the roots, so no shade is on the green nearest to the roots.

Then let it all grow for at least a year.

Does this make sense?

Not entirely :whistle: ...
Does that mean cutting off one of the "trunks" now will encourage a thicker trunk or waiting?
I'd be very interested if you have the time to tell me EXACTLY which "trunks" and branches. I don't know what you meant by creating a bit of movement in one branch, which trunk to remove, or which to remove a third off of. Id love it if you could tell me specifics i.e left, middle, right etc. I'm sorry if I'm hard work LB I wont ask for a drawing :P

Cant remember if I've asked before but since I'm not too rushed with this I appreciate it will take many years to achieve what I want, is it possible to air layer big branches/trunks as I see potential in everything.

Thanks and sorry for the long post. I appreciate everyone's help.
Last Edit:7 years 11 months ago by RayC
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by RayC.

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Inspiration welcomed

Posted 7 years 11 months ago #21290
Better be sorry for being slow and missing a year than sorry for doing the wrong thing and the wrong time :)

For now I need to get some work done for my boss. Have a look here: www.growingbonsai.net/growing-bonsai/growing-trunks/ Lots of info on trunk etc
by leatherback

• RayC
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Posted 7 years 11 months ago #21291
Thank you very much Lb I should've known you'd have something in your site...duh ;)

My friend came round yesterday and see my new fascination and kindly sorted out a 5ft larch tree. Going to pick it up today and will have a read up later :)
by RayC