Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Western Hemlock (Tsuga Heterophyllia) 6 years 9 months ago #34396

• Sleuth
  • Sleuth's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 2
Hello,
I'm Patrick, and am new to this site as well with the art of bonsai. I have been collecting and training trees for about 2 years now. My question has to do with this 3-5ish I think year old Hemlock I collected off the top of a decaying flat-cut stump. I cut the stump roughly 3" from the top and took the entire disc the roots had grown into. What is the best way to maximize safety to remove the roots from the stump? Also because of the way the tree grew (which is awesome) I'm not sure of the best style of pot or how to pot it so it looks just as awesome. Any help, tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to your thoughts and opinions.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Western Hemlock (Tsuga Heterophyllia) 6 years 9 months ago #34423

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Also because of the way the tree grew (which is awesome) I'm not sure of the best style of pot or how to pot it so it looks just as awesome

This is a young tree that needs lots and lots of growth and development to become a bonsai in the future. A pot is typically chosen when the tree has been styled and it has reached maturity. There is no need to choose a pot at this time, this tree should not be in a bonsai pot yet.

Western Hemlock (Tsuga Heterophyllia) 6 years 9 months ago #34428

• Sleuth
I halfheartedly agree with you, however timing being what it is and the size (2 ft. in length horizontally) requires me to condense the overall floor space of my collection. Also I am a believer and have read from many sources that bonsai's are cultivated in a container to stimulate stunting of new growth. Either way my situation requires me to pot it and keep living. Thanks for the response.

Western Hemlock (Tsuga Heterophyllia) 6 years 9 months ago #34435

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
I am not sure why you collected this. As this is a young plant without any special characteristics, would it not have beeneasier to look for one in the full soil?

You could probably reduce the wood with a chisel, or plant it in the grund and let it rot away.

Western Hemlock (Tsuga Heterophyllia) 6 years 9 months ago #34439

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Also I am a believer and have read from many sources that bonsai's are cultivated in a container to stimulate stunting of new growth

You need to find better sources.

Western Hemlock (Tsuga Heterophyllia) 6 years 9 months ago #34449

• Sleuth
"Bonsai is a tree or plant cultured in a container and is therefore small in size, but yet in its entirety expresses the beauty and volume of a tree grown in a natural environment." - The Masters' Book of Bonsai, compiled by Directors of The Japan Bonsai Association 1967 (Nobukichi Koide, Saburo Kato and Fusazo Takeyama) Pretty much been the bible for enthusiasts ever since. "The difference between bonsai and ordinary potted plants is that the latter are usually plant species in which the flowers or leaves are the focus of appreciation, while with the former, the beauty of the entire tree and its harmony with the container in which it is planted is the matter of esthetic concern." "Bonsai, in other words, is an ATTEMPT to artificially perfect natural tree forms in miniature."

Western Hemlock (Tsuga Heterophyllia) 6 years 9 months ago #34451

• Sleuth

I am not sure why you collected this. As this is a young plant without any special characteristics, would it not have beeneasier to look for one in the full soil?

You could probably reduce the wood with a chisel, or plant it in the grund and let it rot away.

The Western Hemlock is the Washington state tree that typically grows in the the shade of old growth Douglas Fir forests growing to just below the cusp of the canopy until and older Douglas gives and exposes light. The Hemlock's growth rate dramatically increases once exposed to light growing to a height of 150-200 ft. in ideal conditions. They're everywhere see them alot. Never seen one that naturally grew horizontal or collected something that was basically semi cascaded from nature and everyone who has seen it loves it. Collected because it was cool as hell, experiment, experience and to learn.Hence this conversation that's been 9 months in the making. I thought about planting it in the ground but I don't have a safe space to do so. Thank you for your response.

Western Hemlock (Tsuga Heterophyllia) 6 years 9 months ago #34452

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
www.bonsaiempire.com/inspiration/top-10/great-bonsai
www.bonsaiempire.com/inspiration

Read more. Learn more. Understand better.
Time did not stop in the sixties.

Western Hemlock (Tsuga Heterophyllia) 6 years 9 months ago #34459

• Sleuth

www.bonsaiempire.com/inspiration/top-10/great-bonsai
www.bonsaiempire.com/inspiration

Read more. Learn more. Understand better.
Time did not stop in the sixties.

Thank you, these are extremely helpful in a lot of different ways.

• Page: