Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Repotting a young privet 7 years 8 months ago #23521

• gaeasblessings
  • gaeasblessings's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
I have a young privet bonsai that I purchased from the floral department at Kroger for my husband on his birthday. Most of the leaves have fallen off of it except for a few sprouts on the trunk, and seems to have a fungus gnat infestation. I also have a miniature tea tree that I purchased from Eastern Leaf that I was using to compare the soils. The soil that the privet is in seems to be normal potting soil that isn't very porous. It took more than a week to dry the soil out to try to get rid of the bug problem. Should I repot the privet in a more porous bonsai soil? If so, what kind of soil should I use?

Thanks for your help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Repotting a young privet 7 years 8 months ago #23522

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
A lot of things can be said about soil. Do you have to repot? No. Should you? Depends. Many bonsai growers prefer to use coarse, rough inorganic grained substrate instead of a more organic soild-like substrate. It depends a little on what you are after. If your plant is sick, repotting can be a very good way to get it to health, if the problems are root-related, If not, it is a good way to get your tree killed.

If you repot use something coarse, with no particles smaller then 1mm or bigger than 5-6 mm that drains well, and is able to absorb some water to retain moisture between waterings.

Repotting a young privet 7 years 8 months ago #23523

• BonsaiLearner
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 101

If you repot use something coarse, with no particles smaller then 1mm or bigger than 5-6 mm that drains well, and is able to absorb some water to retain moisture between waterings.

Come on, LB. That might be a bit confusing for a beginner.

Look up information on this site such as re-potting and soil types before posting a question, it helps to show that you've done research.
For more information on re-potting I suggest this post from Graham Potter:
www.kaizenbonsai.com/bonsai-tree-care-in...-to-repotting-bonsai

And for soil I would recommend diatomaceous earth, because that's what I use. You don't even need to add any other ingredients, although the addition of bark can help retain moisture.
This article by Harry Harrington tells of how to source diatomaceous earth in many different countries:
www.bonsai4me.com/Basics/Basicscatlitter.htm

Ed

Last edit: Post by BonsaiLearner.

Repotting a young privet 7 years 8 months ago #23524

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

What is confusing about it?

Repotting a young privet 7 years 8 months ago #23525

• BonsaiLearner
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
How would they know how to find soil that's coarse, with no particles smaller than 1mm or bigger than 5-6mm, that drains well, and is able to absorb some water without you giving some examples.

Suggesting Akadama, Pumice and Lava rock (or any other soil components) would have cleared this statement up in a beginner's mind.

Ed

Last edit: Post by BonsaiLearner.

Repotting a young privet 7 years 8 months ago #23533

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Is it :huh:

For more information on re-potting I suggest this post from Graham Potter:
www.kaizenbonsai.com/bonsai-tree-care-in...-to-repotting-bonsai

Ah yes, this site consisting of numerous pages with in depth information about repotting and soil, for many different species, is much easier to understand and not confusing for a beginner at all.

I wonder why it starts with
"Introduction
Before I get into the meat of this subject I must apologize for it’s length and complexity." ;)

It's a mallsai... and this is like giving someone who has a bicycle, the manual for a boeing 747.

Last edit: Post by Auk.

Repotting a young privet 7 years 8 months ago #23534

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

How would they know how to find soil that's coarse, with no particles smaller than 1mm or bigger than 5-6mm, that drains well, and is able to absorb some water without you giving some examples.

Basically you are saying it does not contain enough information. If you read the question, you will see the question was: "what kind of soil should I use?". To stay away from the discussion of whether you should acadama or cat litter filler, I decided to give the characteristics. If you disagree, give a better explanation. But saying it is confusing.. I disagree.

Repotting a young privet 7 years 8 months ago #23537

• BonsaiLearner
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
All I meant by the statement was that a beginner mightn't know where to go from Leatherback's post. 'Confusing' was probably the wrong word.

I chose Graham Potter's site because it goes into a lot of detail and I thought it would be useful. I neglected to think about what I had just said.

Sorry,
Ed

Repotting a young privet 7 years 8 months ago #23543

• eangola
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 82
I generally mix pumice with organic soil. I do, however, layer up. Which I have been advised not to. I use 100% pumice for the bottom 1/3 up the pot. Then when I reach the middle I mix the pumice with organic soil composed mostly of medium fir bark (that I crush myself so it isn't too big). Then at the top, I use purely organic soil; crushed smaller particles of medium fir bark. To my understanding, the bottom layer aids drainage. The middle has good draining, yet retains good moisture for the roots. The top? retains moisture, and keeps moss healthy looking. Again, I've heard going 100% pumice is better, and layering is not really that great, my trees are doing great on my soil though. I post this, because I would like to hear criticism about doing this. I've read this way of layering soil in a book, but that doesn't mean they aren't wrong.

My junipers have more pumice than as explained above. Boxwood is potted on the explained above. Forsythia has more organic matter (apparently they like more moist soil?)

Last edit: Post by eangola.

Repotting a young privet 7 years 8 months ago #23576

• Samantha
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 151

Forsythia has more organic matter (apparently they like more moist soil?)

Toss in some lime powder, they like it, of course I'm just talking about the bushes in the yard. It wasn't exactly powder, yet.

Last edit: Post by Samantha.
  • Page: