Bonsai forum

Portulacaria afra

• geekfreedom
  • Thanks received: 3

Replied by geekfreedom on topic Portulacaria afra

Posted 7 years 7 months ago #26013

Carmen_P wrote: Thanks @geekfreedom ... I could not respond to your pm because I guess my account has to be 30 days old in order to send messages. I see that you are from SA! I grew up in JHB but have since relocated to Los Angeles :)

I grew up in JHB as well. But relocated to Durban. LOL!
No stress. I hope your jade is going well. PM me whenever you can.
Or mail me.
geekfreedom@gmail.com
by geekfreedom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic Portulacaria afra

Posted 7 years 7 months ago #26016

rtmann wrote: And some people will never be a master pianist because they just do not have an innate sense of music but they play anyway because they love it. Not everyone's goal in bonsai is a show piece...they just want something to show their friends and family and be proud of. Why discourage them?

Even if you want to play something for friends and family, you will have to learn, practice and study before you can play something to be proud of.
Also, it would be nice if the instrument you play is not out of tune.
by Auk
The following user(s) said Thank You: geekfreedom

• geekfreedom

Posted 7 years 7 months ago #26017

Auk wrote:

rtmann wrote: And some people will never be a master pianist because they just do not have an innate sense of music but they play anyway because they love it. Not everyone's goal in bonsai is a show piece...they just want something to show their friends and family and be proud of. Why discourage them?

Even if you want to play something for friends and family, you will have to learn, practice and study before you can play something to be proud of.
Also, it would be nice if the instrument you play is not out of tune.

That's why we ask the experts on B.E.
We want to make something that we can be proud of.
Thank you Auk. :cheer:
by geekfreedom

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Portulacaria afra

Posted 7 years 7 months ago #26019
Wow what an amount of posts. Interesting that all are referring to Auk, where i think reference is made to my post.

I am on a phone, so might be wrong but the initial post about jade showed crassula, not portocularia. My comment was that the species, crassula, is not so suitable for bonsai, as it does not create fine branching. And to keep the plant, but not pretent to grow it as bonsai.

Sorry, but if you come to anforum about bonsai, be willing to hear that you may not have picked the right material. That has nothing to do with condescending. In the music analogy, dont bring a violin toa cello lesson. They are both great, yet different.
One can only teach if a person is willing to reveive input. My pist was in no way.meant to be insulting. And reading back, i am still not convinced there is any reason for anyobe to get worked up over it.

I dare say my posts are always aumdd at helping people learn. To be called condesxending.. really uncalled for, and rude of itself.
Last Edit:7 years 7 months ago by leatherback
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by leatherback.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Auk, geekfreedom

• geekfreedom

Posted 7 years 7 months ago #26020

leatherback wrote:
I am on a phone, so might be wrong but the initial post about jade showed crassula, not portocularia. My comment was that the species, crassula, is not so suitable for bonsai, as it does not create fine branching. And to keep the plant, but not pretent to grow it as bonsai.

Hi leatherback. I hope you are well.
Your advice is always golden, and your website has helped me get to where I am today with my trees, including your cut and grow technique with my 26 year old ficus. Much respect.

Maybe ask the webmaster at B.E to remove this page from the site? www.bonsaiempire.com/tree-species/jade-tree
It speaks of crassula, specifically as bonsai, and its fine branch structure.

Cheers.
A.J
by geekfreedom

• Carmen_P
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by Carmen_P on topic Portulacaria afra

Posted 7 years 7 months ago #26021
Hi Leatherback. I think I misunderstood the tone of your response so I apologize for that. I guess it can get confusing for a beginner to be doing all this reading and one site lists a certain plant to be a good "beginner bonsai" only to be told that what I have is not worthy. I do want to learn and do appreciate the help.
by Carmen_P

• Ruth
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 24

Replied by Ruth on topic Portulacaria afra

Posted 7 years 7 months ago #26024
My photo is a P. Afra. The photo doesn't show it well, because my plant of a bit overgrown but there are fine branches on it. The photos I posted later of the big tree with the massive truck are also P. Afra. I want to know how to get from mine to Jim Smith's. I know over 40 years is one of the answers, but are there more?
by Ruth

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic Portulacaria afra

Posted 7 years 7 months ago #26038

Ruth wrote: My photo is a P. Afra. The photo doesn't show it well, because my plant of a bit overgrown but there are fine branches on it. The photos I posted later of the big tree with the massive truck are also P. Afra. I want to know how to get from mine to Jim Smith's. I know over 40 years is one of the answers, but are there more?

The only shortcut is buying a bigger one.
by Auk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ruth

• Ruth
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 24

Replied by Ruth on topic Portulacaria afra

Posted 7 years 7 months ago #26040
Thanks Auk, ill carry on with these. Maybe someday, after saving my pennies, I'll purchase a bigger one.
by Ruth