• Page:

TOPIC:

Feeding my bonsai 5 years 7 months ago #43804

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
Felidae,
No argument from my side. Was just pointing out the thing that for people with experience is obvious, but for starters not always: The ratio is not crucial when you use regular fluid fertilizer. And if you mess up, mess up on the caustious side: Add lless as too much fertilizer is a bigger problem than too little.

Then 1ml = 1mg.

just in case people ARE planning on using scales.. 1ml of water is 1g, not 1mg.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Franky, Felidae

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Feeding my bonsai 5 years 7 months ago #43805

• Franky
  • Thanks received: 14
Thanks for the correction LB, I hadn’t noticed my mistake. It is indeed 1g and not 1mg.

Just to add, the reason I weigh it is because the scoop is rounded and guessing a quarter of something that is in an odd shape scoop seemed a bit hit and miss. However, if you’re saying it isn’t crucial to get the ratio correct then I needn’t bother in the future. There are times when this degree of precision is not necessary I guess. Thanks.

Feeding my bonsai 5 years 7 months ago #43807

• Felidae
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 236
We’re good LB. I didn’t want a debate neither, just if I explain on details, I’m a smart@ss, if I just mention, people sometimes don’t get it... Maybe I just get tired to acting polite when I want to slap in the face and screaming “useyourfckngbrain”.
I’m sure in one thing tho, that have differences between beginners in their logics or manner of learning.. What evident for me, maybe not evident for Jack, Joe or Mary.

Last edit: Post by Felidae.

Feeding my bonsai 5 years 7 months ago #43808

• Franky
  • Thanks received: 14

At the point, where you get a fertilizer with 3ml to 8 liters, and you want to make 1 liter solution...

It’s a good point. Because the small plastic one I use is 0.7ml, so if you needed a precise ratio of 3ml to 8litres, and that’s the only container you had, you’d need to work it out properly. I’ll try find an article I read recently about this subject and concentrations of fertiliser. It’s probably unnecessary, but some may find it interesting.

Feeding my bonsai 5 years 7 months ago #43809

• Felidae
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 236
IKR :) I have some heavily concentrated stuff what I need to use in really small quantities.
I believe, no knowledge is unnecessary, just maybe we don’t need to use it in regular cases.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Franky

Feeding my bonsai 5 years 7 months ago #43812

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549
5ml-->1L Water
2,5ml->1/2L Water
0,5ml->100ml Water

Feeding my bonsai 5 years 2 months ago #46549

• WeeTree58
  • Thanks received: 0
I know a bit of time has gone by but just reading the reasonably heated replies to your fertiliser issue and I have no complicated method or have to calculate anything. I have blood and bone and dynamic lifter fertiliser mix the both of them 50/50 and fill a large tea bag and pin it down on the soil with tooth pics job done. I live in Australia so i do this September October November {spring} and March April May {autumn} changing the tea bag after 1 month but leave the old tea bag on and then circle the tree with the 2 others to make sure all the roots get the fertiliser. Trees have a summer dormancy and the autumn feed sets the tree up for winter. Hope this helps. Glenn

Feeding my bonsai 5 years 2 months ago #46551

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
Hey Glenn,

welcome to the forum!

Want to share a bit about yourself & your bonsai passion? : www.bonsaiempire.com/forum/bonsai-cafe/184-introduce-yourself

Feeding my bonsai 1 year 8 months ago #77355

• Matt.rees86
  • Thanks received: 0
Hey guys sorry to gate crash this thread, but just have a quick question and was wandering if any one could help? I bought a small ficus in a 12cm pot from a local garden centre a few days ago and am just wandering when I should start using fertilizer and how much I should give? It says on the bottle to dilute 5ml with 1 litre of water.. would this be to much for a little tree in a small pot?

Hope someone can help :)

Thanks

Matt

Feeding my bonsai 1 year 8 months ago #77362

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1326
Fertilize when you see signs of the tree growing.

Was your fertilizer sold as bonsai fertilizer? If yes, I would go for the recommended dose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt.rees86

• Page: