Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

Introduce yourself! 8 years 4 months ago #17626

• b.sless
  • Thanks received: 0
Yes. Haha - and I have googled images of bonsai'a and I am in love!!!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Introduce yourself! 8 years 4 months ago #17630

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791
I hope you understand Wallmart doesn't really sell bonsai.

Introduce yourself! 8 years 4 months ago #17634

• b.sless

I hope you understand Wallmart doesn't really sell bonsai.

After reading through several threads here, I understand. Bonsai is an art form with trees.

They are just small trees that I have fallen in love with.

I think the misconception is that when people see a small tree they see it as bonsai, when really it's probably just a small tree. (Atleast that was my misconception) now - I understand a little more what Bonsai actually is.

Introduce yourself! 8 years 4 months ago #17638

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

I think the misconception is that when people see a small tree they see it as bonsai, when really it's probably just a small tree. (Atleast that was my misconception) now - I understand a little more what Bonsai actually is.

Well... not exactly. 'just a small tree' can be a bonsai. However, bonsai indeed is an art form, where a plant or shrub is trained in a way to represent a miniature version of a mature, powerful tree in nature.

Your Juniper looks just like a young juniper that has been pruned. It does not look like tree... so it cannot be called a bonsai.

Last edit: Post by Auk.

Introduce yourself! 8 years 3 months ago #18111

• BonsaiCarl92
Hello everyone. My name is Carl. I just received a small juniper as a gift for Christmas. So I plan to raise it not only to represent a strong juniper, but as a reflection of who I am as a person. I want it to speak my personality.

By far, I know nothing of this art form. I know it requires love and patience. So I am doing my research and asking all of the questions I can.

I am 23, so I am young. And I'm using this tree as a form of therapy for myself. I struggle with a lot, so my goal is to obtain wisdom in life, training, and (I can't think of the last word I want to use right now, although it will come to me later.)

Anyways,thank you for allowing me to introduce myself.

Introduce yourself! 8 years 2 months ago #18358

• wtaylor1321
Hello, I'm Willow.
I am very new to Bonsai. I have been interested for many years but have just recently started doing serious research. I have not yet received my first plant. I ordered a young Satsuki Azalea to start with. I should get it in about a week.

I've been reading topics throughout the forum, I'm very glad I found this place! Once I get my azalea, I will start my own topic.

Introduce yourself! 8 years 1 month ago #19151

• Franky
  • Thanks received: 14
I'm Franky, living in the UK.

I have kept Bonsai on and off (more off) for many years, but now that I have the time and circumstances, I am eager to learn and become better involved in the art of Bonsai. There is a wealth of info these days - and forums like this - that probably weren't as good years back when I first started.

My first foray back led me to buy a lovely ficus. Partly because it is a tropical type and therefore suits the fantastic tropical clime of the UK B), but mainly because it is an indoor type and is fairly easy to look after. It's coming up to two years old and we get along fine.

Hopefully I can do it justice with the help of good folk around here.

Introduce yourself! 8 years 2 weeks ago #19741

• pet
Ciao

I'm Angelo from Milan, Italy

I am fond of tropical plants and sometimes I delight in trying to create some bonsai .

Also I live near the Bonsai Museum , the largest collection of bonsai outside Japan
As soon as I can , I'll put some photos

Angelo

Introduce yourself! 7 years 10 months ago #21640

• el_cheezer
  • Thanks received: 19
Hello,

My name is Alfredo, and I live in sunny Arizona, USA. I've only been keeping trees for the last 2 or 3 years, and though I've been learning a lot about design, it's mostly learning how to keep the trees alive in the 115°F summers. I keep mostly small trees, since they are easier to move in and out of the sun, and use a lot of nursery plants to experiment.

It's very difficult to find other bonsai growers in my area, and the closest club is about 3 hours away. I'm at a point where videos and the books are starting to get repetitive, and I feel like I would probably learn more from interacting with others.

I'm hoping to stick around and learn a lot!

Introduce yourself! 7 years 10 months ago #21644

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
welcome cheeser. Sounds like you have a serious climate-challenge on your hands!