Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

A Gnarled Thought 11 years 6 months ago #7297

• Youri1995
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 45
Bonsai is for me a hobby, an occupation. It's very relaxing to have something you can do after an exhausting day of work (school for me) or something else. It makes your mind empty and you don't have to think of all the problems for a while :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

A Gnarled Thought 11 years 6 months ago #7298

• MWid
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Nicely said Youri, I feel the same way, its the perfect way to relax when i get home from a hard days work, its a hobby which allows me to take my mind off things and enjoy the simple things in life.

A Gnarled Thought 11 years 6 months ago #7303

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193

don't have to think of all the problems for a while

ha ha i just have to think of the problems with my trees and the years it will take to fix them...and what :blink: its 6:30 already :pinch: its gunna be a late dinner tonight kids :P

A Gnarled Thought 11 years 6 months ago #7309

• MWid
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
haha shame I hope they were fed well ;)

A Gnarled Thought 11 years 6 months ago #7312

• Youri1995
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

don't have to think of all the problems for a while

ha ha i just have to think of the problems with my trees and the years it will take to fix them...and what :blink: its 6:30 already :pinch: its gunna be a late dinner tonight kids :P

Lol :P

A Gnarled Thought 11 years 6 months ago #7383

• Gnarlwood
  • Gnarlwood's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 21
Personally I listen to the news as little as possible but even without hearing about terrible disasters life is (let's face it) stressful.

I love examining my little bonsai and letting all the cares of my day melt away.

In my neck of the woods, poverty is rampant and violent crimes occur fairly often. However, in the midst of this I've noticed greater appreciation for gardening and bonsai. I believe this is mainly due to the escape and control aspect gardening and bonsai give us. The artform is separate from the normal world and it allows us nearly complete control over the outcome.

My prediction is that as disorder increases in the world bonsai and gardening will increase.

Call me a fortune teller but that's my hypothesis.

Now I ask you all, Why do you think bonsai is becoming so popular with people?

A Gnarled Thought 11 years 6 months ago #7386

• kittyvlekkie
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 5
try not to 'deny' what happens in the world, what i do is find patterns in the news. but you talk of a 'violent' and 'chaotic' world but remember ying-yang(at least that's how i see it.) there is always a balance of everything in the world. and you see the world from only the bad perspetive(bad news gets more views.) but i think it is because of globilisation(more spread of foreign cultures and products) and more wealth and time so more money and time to spend on entertainment(bonsai).

but how you look at it i think it is because people want to find rest.

A Gnarled Thought 11 years 6 months ago #7389

• Youri1995
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Now I ask you all, Why do you think bonsai is becoming so popular with people?

I don't know if bonsai is really becoming more popular than it was, especially with the youth, unfortunately. But I think there are some factors that people like when seeing/working on bonsai:
  • It is relaxing, forget the daily life for a while and (often) work outside, fresh air does everyone good!
  • Also many people like the fact you are working with living things, it isn't just a painting or sculpture, it is an object that always is living, growing. Because of that, a Bonsai is never 'finished' and you always need to maintain it in order to keep its beauty. That's a huge difference with all other artistic forms/activities

Lastly many people love nature and like to work in the garden, so many people see themselves doing this hobby, that's why I think it is (getting) popular. :)

A Gnarled Thought 11 years 6 months ago #7391

• MWid
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

try not to 'deny' what happens in the world, what i do is find patterns in the news. but you talk of a 'violent' and 'chaotic' world but remember ying-yang(at least that's how i see it.)

Personally I think that Ying-Yang is used to often as a cliche, and there shouldn't be a ying-yang in the world and that what is creating so many problems. Ying-yang in wealth is simply a way of promoting capitalism. There shouldn't have to be a ying yang to make a balance in the world; in the ideal world, there would be perfect equality and no balance in wealth or crime as a means of rich making up for the poor and innocent making up for crimes.

Bonsai to me is simply respecting past cultures and enjoying one self, getting close to nature both spiritually and as an art form.

A Gnarled Thought 11 years 6 months ago #7400

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193

My prediction is that as disorder increases in the world bonsai and gardening will increase.

im more worried about the climate at least in my neck of the woods...the way things are going my native plants might not survive without a winter :(
cant kill my rock collection tho :P