TOPIC:

A call for reflection.. On posting & attitude 7 years 10 months ago #22506

• leatherback
  • leatherback's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
A little meta-communication .
Looking through the posts in the last few months, I have noticed a clear increae of aggression on the forum. And I am saddened by it. Instead of focussing on the trees, their potential and routes for the future, somehow people have started to respond to eachothers'personality and style of posting. I have seen people openly battling it out in the forum. I have been attacked personally in private messages for my postings. I know of some others who also have been having their own private shouting matches. All in all, it makes for an unhappy forum at the moment, which is countering all ideas behind bonsai.

This is an international forum. That means people from all over the world can join and share their thoughts. And just like countries can disagree, and get in fights over things you actually do not disagree about, so does that happen on the forum. I would therefor like to suggest to all.. Instead of taking things being posted as personal, look at the content of the message.

Each person has a certain way of formulating a message. And the range is very big, often linked to the region you grew up in. In some countries, people are very direct in what they say. I grew up in one of them, and run into this issue inmy work on a day to day basis. Some people might call people from these regions rude. In other countries, people sugercoat the message. Some people might say they never get to the point and never tell the truth. Add to this the fact that a written text does not pass along the intend of the message, which normally is conveyed through non-verbal communication (A smile, a wink, a hand gesture), it is hard to interpret the meaning of someones post.

Can we perhaps reach a concencus that no-one on this forum is on the forum with malicius intend? And, in line with that thought, read eachothers messages with the concept of 'This person takes time to respond, let me see whether there is a grain of truth in the post', rather than respond to the style it was written in, and/or the absense / presence of suger coating messages?

Just a thought.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Oscar, redman85, tubaboy, simplysaid, Stanlijane, lucR, Williebb, Hutch, Clicio, ukamikazu and 1 other people also said thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

A call for reflection.. On posting & attitude 7 years 10 months ago #22513

• Oscar
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thanks received: 291
I fully agree with your post and thank you for taking the time to write it out so well.
I like to add that it would help a great deal to realize how being direct is very easily mistaken for being rude, as well as being nice and positive can be mistaken for sugarcoating and not actually helping someone. Adding to that a personal note; I have bigger issues with being too critical than with being too positive. And I'm pretty sure most beginners would agree with me :)

Bonsai Empire to me is all about helping beginners make progress in this fascinating hobby, central to that goal is that a beginner should feel welcome on this site, as well as learn a thing or two. I wish I had this community when I started out 15 years ago with my very own tree, and let's keep it that way :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: tubaboy, simplysaid, Squirrel

A call for reflection.. On posting & attitude 7 years 10 months ago #22514

• Enaisio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 67
Thanks for that leatherback, it is a great thought and I hope people will listen to you and apreaciate what you are trying to do .

A call for reflection.. On posting & attitude 7 years 10 months ago #22530

• simplysaid
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 54
I completely agree. I run into cultural miscommunications all the time with my work. But I keep it professional and not let it get personal. I've learned a lot from this forum and take what I want and not let it get to me. I appreciate the moderator and all of the more experienced members on here. Most of all... I enjoy the slight jokes and imoji's. They help a lot with any questionable comments. I certainly have no problem doing my own research if I disagree with something or some one. If we can speak like adults, we will be heard as adults.
Thank you

A call for reflection.. On posting & attitude 7 years 10 months ago #22576

• redman85
  • Thanks received: 11
Always reading and learning from all of you guys, this forum has taught me a bunch of things.
A lot of aggression lately that is for sure.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Niwaki

A call for reflection.. On posting & attitude 7 years 9 months ago #23536

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Just thought I would bring this one to the top again. :blink:

A call for reflection.. On posting & attitude 7 years 9 months ago #23541

• Mimo
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 927
Why? Did I miss some new fight? :woohoo:

A call for reflection.. On posting & attitude 7 years 9 months ago #23545

• Mimo
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 927
I FOUND IT!!!
Lads, I had Uncle Cop Chop on line and he has a message for you:

Disclaimer:
No harm of anybody´s feelings intended.
For those who are a bit slower - THIS WAS A JOKE. Ha - ha.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Auk, brkirkland22, simplysaid

A call for reflection.. On posting & attitude 7 years 9 months ago #23546

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

A call for reflection.. On posting & attitude 4 years 6 months ago #53095

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Just thought I would dig this old thread up, because I see a similar trend accuring lately.