Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

Wisteria Bonsai 11 years 2 months ago #8177

• LuLu
  • LuLu's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1
Hello, I am new to this forum, and I was wondering if anyone could help me with some questions I have.

In my backyard I have a large wisteria vine, it is about 50-60ft in length. I want to make a wisteria bonsai from it, but I am not certain what the best method for accomplishing this is.

I would like to know, is it best to air-layer wisteria, or to use cuttings? and when is the best time of year to do this?

~LuLu

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Wisteria Bonsai 11 years 2 months ago #8180

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Air-layering would be preferred, although both will work. By air-layering you will get flowers much sooner, as you can use more-mature parts of the plant for this.

Air-layering is typically started in mid-spring when plants have their first flush of leaves extended.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LuLu

Wisteria Bonsai 11 years 1 month ago #8187

• LuLu
Thank you for your advice Leatherback, I appreciate it. I will certainly use Air-layering :)

Also, I have another question.

How long should I leave it in the ground before I begin to bonsai it??

I have read several conflicting articles as to how long you should leave it planted in the ground before you start, and would appreciate it if anyone could clear this up.

~LuLu

Wisteria Bonsai 11 years 1 month ago #8190

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
As long as you want to :D

Have a look here: www.bonsaiempire.com/articles/advanced/bonsai-trunk-creation

Wisteria Bonsai 11 years 1 month ago #8199

• LuLu
lol haha :) ok thank you Leatherback I will read up on it! I didnt realize this section existed.

~LuLu

Wisteria Bonsai 11 years 1 month ago #8203

• LuLu
Ok I have read the article and several others. They were extremely helpful and cleared up a lot of questions I had.

Now that I have selected what I wish to turn into my Bonsai, I have another question. If you look at the pictures, you will see how the branch I wish to turn into my trunk is connected to the main vine making a T.

My question is, if I Air-Layer this branch, when I go to cut it from the main vine after it has formed the roots, if I make two cuts where my fingers are positioned in the second picture, will this cause the plant to grow 3 'trunks' as shown by the green lines in picture 3??

And if so, is there a way to stop this from happening?

~LuLu

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Wisteria Bonsai 11 years 1 month ago #8204

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193
i dont understand the 3 trunk outcome ,but the branch you show is quite small.if you are going to go through all of the trouble of airlayering why dont you pick something with a larger trunk diamiter. granted you may have to get up on a ladder to not kill the whole plant but you will have much better material to work with

Wisteria Bonsai 11 years 1 month ago #8208

• LuLu
I really like the shape of the small branch, and I would rather go through all the trouble and thicken the trunk myself, because I could manipulate it more and fit my design better by starting with it so small and flexible.

to further explain my question, you understand how if you cut a stump a lot of shoots come out of it? well if i were to cut a T shape with my branch being the stick of the T, would the cross section across the top of the T cause two more branches to sprout from the ends?

I have made an illustration to hopefully help make my question clear beyond doubt. :)

~LuLu

Last edit: Post by LuLu.

Wisteria Bonsai 11 years 1 month ago #8209

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hi LuLu,

Please listen to ManOfTrees. This is a *really* thin twig. I understand the idea of growing and thickening it yourself. The shape it has now will however be lost once it is 10 times the current diameter.

I think this is the most common mistake when starting: Starting with very young twig (Which is fine) and assuming that within a year of so it will be a nice tree (That is the mistake). If you want a wisteria and are willing to start with a smal branch, please go to your garden centre and buy a your cutting. If you want the experience of air-layering: Experiment away. But realize that Wisteria needs to be a decent size to be nice; Think: 2 inch trunk minimum with a 2 feet height.

Wisteria Bonsai 11 years 1 month ago #8213

• LuLu
Yes I understand that it will change shape as it grows, but I was saying I thought it was a nice shape to start with. And its being so small and flexible would make it easier for me to shape it how I wish as it grows. I realize that it will not be a nice tree within 1-3 years, but I am willing to take the time till it gets there. :)

But just as a precautionary measure, I have decided to make 2 trees, one out of my branch I picked, and the other following your directions as to width and height. Then if my idea fails, I should still have nice tree ;)

Also, how does it make a difference if I buy my branch at a garden center, or if I Air-Layer it myself?? It will still be just as small when I start? or were you saying buy a bigger tree at a garden center??

~LuLu

Btw, thank you all for your time in helping me I really appreciate it!