TOPIC:

Wisteria Bonsai 11 years 1 month ago #8240

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193

I always leave say half an inch of stem above the bud

sorry i should have been a little more specific on this one ,thanks jelle

i also agree let the plant get used to being potted. it is natural for most plants to backbud once cut so leave what you have and let it grow.
bonsai is not a fast result hobby. it may take 5 years to get your vine close to what you are imagining, i have seen trees trained for 20 years just developing branches once a good trunk is achieved.i think this is why bonsai growers end up with so many trees.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LuLu

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Wisteria Bonsai 11 years 1 month ago #8242

• LuLu
  • LuLu's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1
lol haha, I knew it would take several years, so I thought I had better start soon! :cheer: yes I'm already starting a collection of trees. This is very interesting hobby! And I am learning so much from you both it is nice experience.

Also I don't understand how I can make a bonsai out of a vine that has a carrot like root!? I thought it had spreading roots, but this one looks like a carrot, with nothing else.The root is about 1 ft. long at the moment, and about 1 in. diameter tapering to a point.

Will I eventually cut the 'carrot' off the bottom (If I did this my vine wouldn't have any roots! :unsure: ) Or how will I fix this?

~LuLu

Wisteria Bonsai 11 years 1 month ago #8243

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
You would normally reduce the taproot over time. Every time you lift it from the round, you remove 1/3-1/2 opf the taproot. That way the plant gets some time to create side-roots. For now, let the plant recover. Next year you can consider clipping some off.

Wisteria Bonsai 11 years 1 month ago #8244

• LuLu
Ah Ok, thank you Leatherback. I will follow your instructions.

And also when I do go to cut the top down to size, what tool should I use to cut it? A regular saw from the store? Or do I need a special kind of saw?

(I could also use some information about what are the best kind of tools to buy for Bonsai usage and where to get them, because I really have no idea.)

~LuLu

Wisteria Bonsai 11 years 3 weeks ago #8250

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
a saw will work but will leave a jagged wound which will not heal well. a sharp pair of branch pruners will work best and can be picked up at your local garden center

Wisteria Bonsai 11 years 3 weeks ago #8252

• LuLu
Ok thank you Manofthetrees. I will try and locate a pair of branch pruners. :)

~LuLu

Wisteria Bonsai 11 years 3 weeks ago #8270

• LuLu
Ok, how long do you think I should wait until I cut it down to size, I have waited about a week since I potted it, Is that long enough??

And also after I cut it, is there a sealant I am supposed to use to keep it from scaring?

~LuLu

Wisteria Bonsai 11 years 3 weeks ago #8271

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
this is way too early if you have alot of growth at the extreme least mid summer ,but i would wait till next season

Wisteria Bonsai 11 years 3 weeks ago #8276

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
Hi Lulu,

Growing bonsai is measure in years. Not weeks. So waiting a little bit means something in the order of a few weeks to months, rather than days. In case if a transplanted sapling: only when you have clear growth you can consider any new work on the plant.

Wisteria Bonsai 11 years 3 weeks ago #8284

• LuLu
Yes, I should have understood that...I am so excited thought,....I suppose this will be a good lesson in patience for me ;)
(I'm usually good at being patient haha!)

LuLu: thinks of buying already started Bonsai to have something to do immediately. lol I will have 30-50 trees by the time it is right to start work on my wisteria,...sounds nice! =)

Thank you both again for all the help. You have been extremely helpful to me and I respect and appreciate it.

Out of Interest, Manofthetrees, Do you and your father own a bonsai shop?? and if so where is it located, and do you have a web-site? and do you sell trees?? lol a lot of questions yes, but then it interests me. :) if you would not consider my questions rude, or audacious to my elders.

~LuLu