Bonsai forum

Wisteria Bonsai

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 856

Replied by m5eaygeoff on topic Wisteria Bonsai

Posted 9 years 3 months ago #14121
Mine is out of leaf right now, flowered well last year and grew well too. Pruned in autumn. Stood in water for about 6 weeks in late august September then took it out. I re potted last spring as it was getting top heavy so went into a larger pot. Needs to be quite potbound to flower well. Also os heavy feeder in spring/summer.
by m5eaygeoff

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• LuLu
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1

Replied by LuLu on topic Wisteria Bonsai

Posted 9 years 3 months ago #14138
Well I am going up to Boston for school, and dont think the college will permit me to go planting random vines on the campus >_< haha sooo I think planting it is not an option (however I am going to ask! worst that happens is they say no ). But my vine will most likely remain in the pot, I successfully removed the tap root this last year and I am afraid if I planted the vine again all that work would come undone, but if you would advise me to plant it again to thicken then I will follow your advice.
Is it possible to use fertilizer sticks so that the vine can grow thick in a pot???
Also is chlorine and fluoride in the water going to negatively effect my plant?? Or should I get a bucket and collect rainwater for my bonsai??

I cut the vine back to 4.5 inches in height. Because from the base up about 2ft or so of the vine was extremely hard and unable to bend, only the very last 1.5ft was bendable, and the car is small and I have lots of things to pack so not much room and this is why I cut it. I am very happy my decision hasn't hurt my vine! and that everything will be ok! =D
by LuLu

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 175

Replied by bob on topic Wisteria Bonsai

Posted 9 years 3 months ago #14139
If you cnnot find ground then maybe a growing box would suffice. I think the fertiliser would help but only up to some extent. The plant needs as much open space soil wise to get thicker.
by bob

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic Wisteria Bonsai

Posted 9 years 3 months ago #14141

bob wrote: If you cnnot find ground then maybe a growing box would suffice. I think the fertiliser would help but only up to some extent. The plant needs as much open space soil wise to get thicker.

Nope, when you pot it, it needs an adequate size pot and amount of soil, not 'as much open space soil' as possible.
by Auk

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 9 years 3 months ago #14142
Oh, sorry, i mean open space as in big space. Wasn't thinking straight, completely understandable though my fault for not choosing my words carefully. I mean large space. I got messed up with when people say "that is a nice open space"(pointing at a field) and for silly reasons related open space with big space due to open space being big. My mind is one messed up maze :D
by bob

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 9 years 3 months ago #14143

bob wrote: Oh, sorry, i mean open space as in big space.

Ermmm... nope, still when potting, you should not give it as much space as possible, you need an adequate size pot and amount of soil.
by Auk

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Wisteria Bonsai

Posted 9 years 3 months ago #14144
Hi Lulu,

You could consider leaving the plant in the garden with your parents (Don't know your situation though?). By the time you graduate the vind will have fattened up. And when you are home for christmas you can do some work on it?

When growing it in a pot, you will need to repot every year, and each year in a pot one or two sizes up. (When grown in containers, most plants like to have a pot just larger than their current rootball. If you plant in too large a container, plants do not grow very well, oddly enough)
by leatherback
The following user(s) said Thank You: LuLu

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 9 years 3 months ago #14145

Auk wrote:

bob wrote: Oh, sorry, i mean open space as in big space.

Ermmm... nope, still when potting, you should not give it as much space as possible, you need an adequate size pot and amount of soil.

Oh, ok, sorry, its just that i've been told that by almost every gardener in my area.

I have to say, I do love the flowers of wisteria.
by bob

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 9 years 3 months ago #14146

bob wrote: Oh, ok, sorry, its just that i've been told that by almost every gardener in my area.

I think you made that up... but anyway, have a look at this article:

www.bonsai4me.com/Basics/Basics%20Bonsai...hs%20Overpotting.htm

Note this is "standard nursery practice and a well established principle" so I doubt "every gardener" in your area has told you otherwise.
Last Edit:9 years 3 months ago by Auk
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by Auk.

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 9 years 3 months ago #14147
Well, the communal gardeners for the block of flat's grounds said that the roses had to be planted in bigger pots, in grow boxes, to get them to spread wider. Those gardeners are the only ones in my area so... Anyway, thankyou again for teaching me instead of shoving me off ;) i will read it. I don't know how they became gardeners :D .
by bob