Bonsai forum

Can anyone help me ID my bonsai?! Scared for it :(

• leha
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Can anyone help me ID my bonsai?! Scared for it :( was created by leha

Posted 10 years 1 month ago #10557
Hi guys!

I just bought this bonsai today from Tesco, and I have no idea of the species.. I've tried to self-identify it but I'm not really an expert and I'm coming up a little short :oops:

The thing is, it's already looking a little unhealthy and I'd like to know exactly what I should be doing for it at this point to help it survive. The topsoil is moist but I'm not confident enough with bonsais to know if I should give it a water now or not; without knowing the species I'm at a bit of a loss as to exactly how I should be helping it!

Thanks so so much in advance and I hope someone can offer me some advice, even if it's just general for bonsai health! (for example, what does the slight blackening of the leaves mean? Too little light, too much light, drying out from heat, needs more water, less watering..? I feel very hopeless, all I know is that if I don't change some variable it's not going to get any better!)

PS. I know the pictures are a little shoddy, I've just taken them and the light isn't great so I can always update tomorrow with some clearer photos if people aren't able to see well here.
by leha

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• alainleon1983
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 185

Replied by alainleon1983 on topic Can anyone help me ID my bonsai?! Scared for it :(

Posted 10 years 1 month ago #10560
Hi Leha,
I can´t say I´m a hundred percent sure but it seems like a ficus to me. As for the tree´s health, well, it looks fine to me. There are some leaves that have fallen, but if it is a ficus indeed, this is absolutely normal. Also would be very nice to know where are you living in, since ficus can´t withstand temperatures below 15 degrees for a long time. So, if you are in a cold weather situation, it would be a nice idea to put it inside, perhaps until the spring comes and temperatures become higher, otherwise take it out. Your tree would thank you for the free air and lots of light that you can provide it with. Regarding the watering issue, as many people have said around this forum, you don´t need to do it based on a schedule, instead get a chopstick and test the soil with it, if it comes out wet you don´t need to water but if it doesn´t then water thoroughly. Also in the mornings or late at the afternoon, your tree would thank you if you release some moisture in its leaves and trunk by a using a sprinkler. Finally, I´m attaching you a care guide for the ficus, located precisely within this web. Hope I might have been of help!

www.bonsaiempire.com/tree-species/ficus
by alainleon1983

• nebari
  • Thanks received: 1

Replied by nebari on topic Can anyone help me ID my bonsai?! Scared for it :(

Posted 10 years 1 month ago #10562
Hi Leha,

Too my opinion youre tree is a species off the Laurus Nobilis, it looks too me as if there are remains of the flowers ( small and white )
The leave sure looks like it, shiny and a little thick.

Place the plant outdoors, cos indoors the air is too dry, its in nature a plant that grows in the shadow, so no direct sunlight, let the soil get dry, and than dip it in a bath of handwarm water, repeat that when the soil is dry again,

Protect the roots ( and the pot )against frost

Goodluck
by nebari

• alainleon1983
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Replied by alainleon1983 on topic Can anyone help me ID my bonsai?! Scared for it :(

Posted 10 years 1 month ago #10564
Well, it certainly could be Laurus Nobilis, nebari. But, as with the ficus choice, I´m not sure either, but if it is, I stand corrected. Anyway, I´m posting a picture of the Laurus Nobilis, so Leha might compare it with her tree.
by alainleon1983

This message has an attachment image.

• leha
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by leha on topic Can anyone help me ID my bonsai?! Scared for it :(

Posted 10 years 1 month ago #10565
Thanks guys, both are good suggestions. Do you think it's more common to get hold of a ficus than a Laurus Nobilis? I hadn't noticed the 'remains of white flowers' before nebari, so I've included a slightly clearer photo if that helps anyone, though to me they look more like young buds than old flowers.
I knew about the chopstick method, but would you folk recommend watering from the top or the bottom to control water intake? I'm not sure exactly how much I should be feeding my little ficus-laurus-nobilis-whatever ;)
by leha

This message has an attachment image.

• leha
  • Offline Topic Author

Posted 10 years 1 month ago #10566
Oh, and Alain, I'm currently in Canterbury where temps are only hitting about 14 degree highs in the day at the moment, but it also spends some time in Grenoble when I do, where temperatures seem to be a lot more fickle between 1 degree and 17 degrees on some consecutive days at this time of year..!
Last Edit:10 years 1 month ago by leha
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by leha.

• ironhorse
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 72

Replied by ironhorse on topic Can anyone help me ID my bonsai?! Scared for it :(

Posted 10 years 1 month ago #10567
It's a Carmona (Fukien Tea), commonly imported for supermarket sales. DON'T put it outdoors, absolute minimum temp is 50F and any less will kill it. Needs to be in decent free draining soil, say 50/50 sieved peat compost & vermiculite, water until it runs from the drain holes in the pot, keep in a well lit indoor position as close to a window as you can, they prefer a constant temperature and high humidity, a bathroom or kitchen windowsill is good. Feed weekly with a balanced liquid feed at normal dilution. Not a good species as a travelling companion, they do not like to be moved when they have acclimatised to a specific environment.

Dave
by ironhorse

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855

Replied by m5eaygeoff on topic Can anyone help me ID my bonsai?! Scared for it :(

Posted 10 years 1 month ago #10570
beat me to it. and the black deposit is an insect infestation.
by m5eaygeoff

• alainleon1983
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 10 years 1 month ago #10571
Yes, ironhorse is absolutely right Leha... It is a Carmona. That last picture you posted is so much better than the others! Well, I would water the tree from the top (I think it is the right way to do it) until water starts running out through the drain holes and as for temperatures, since you are living in a place where temperatures remain that low this time of the year, well, you really need to take your tree indoors. Oh, and this is the link to the Carmona Care Guide:

www.bonsaiempire.com/tree-species/carmona
by alainleon1983

• leha
  • Offline Topic Author

Posted 10 years 1 month ago #10577
Yes, definitely definitely looking like a Carmona now, had this answer from another bonsai identifier too :) Thanks for all the help guys, will have a read of all the guides I've been provided with and try and get hold of a pot it can better drain in some time next week.
:kiss:
by leha