Bonsai forum

Walmart Bonsai Tree Help?

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 175

Replied by bob on topic Walmart Bonsai Tree Help?

Posted 9 years 8 months ago #12342
1 question. Well the best way would be to just simply wash it with water if your looking for the non expencieve way.

2question. Well it depends which style you want but balanceof the foliage and roots is uneven if you are going to put it in a new pot so possibly, remember this is only a suggestion you do not have to do it, anyway, what you could do is let it grow for anotaher year.
Last Edit:9 years 8 months ago by bob
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by bob.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Walmart Bonsai Tree Help?

Posted 9 years 8 months ago #12344
Fortunately, in Nature plants don't use leaf cleaner either.

If you just keep your plants outdoors in summer, mother nature will take care of any dust that may have accumulated on the leaves in the form of a good summer rainstorm. I have never in my life cleaned leaves.
by leatherback

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic Walmart Bonsai Tree Help?

Posted 9 years 8 months ago #12346

leatherback wrote: If you just keep your plants outdoors in summer, mother nature will take care of any dust that may have accumulated on the leaves in the form of a good summer rainstorm.

And if for some reason you cannot keep them outside in summer, you can simulate that rainstorm by putting them under the shower.
I have some houseplants that do gather dust, I put them outside and use my garden hose to rinse them off.

www.plantea.com/house-plant-care.htm
by Auk

• moondragon
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 3

Replied by moondragon on topic Walmart Bonsai Tree Help?

Posted 9 years 8 months ago #12359

bob wrote: 1 question. Well the best way would be to just simply wash it with water if your looking for the non expencieve way.

2question. Well it depends which style you want but balanceof the foliage and roots is uneven if you are going to put it in a new pot so possibly, remember this is only a suggestion you do not have to do it, anyway, what you could do is let it grow for anotaher year.

If I put it in a new pot, I will probably do so near the beginning of spring sometime. I also read that a good time to wire and prune ficus is near the end of winter, as they will go outside in the spring and start growing a lot? Is that enough time or do you think that I should wait longer?

@Auk: The shower is actually a very good idea, although I may try the hose or let it sit out in the rain a bit the next time there is some.
by moondragon

• moondragon
  • Offline Topic Author

Posted 9 years 8 months ago #12362
Also. I just watered my tree, and when I go to check if the soil is still wet, I cannot even put a finger into the soil, get to the soil at all, because the roots are so tightly through it. Should it be like this?
Last Edit:9 years 8 months ago by moondragon
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by moondragon.

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 9 years 8 months ago #12364
I have read the best time to wire is summer due to sap flowing which makes it more bendy but i could be wrong as for the outdoor thing i would rather skip that but then again i could be wrong always do big pruning in early spring and maintainance pruning early spring to late summer i could be wrong but this is how i would do it so the tree has time to heal.
Remember i could be wrong so it would be best to clarify with google or someone else. ;) .
by bob

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 9 years 8 months ago #12365
The root and soil thing i do not know but if i where you i would definetely do a good trimming when repotting next year. There could be another explaination though.
by bob

• moondragon
  • Offline Topic Author

Posted 9 years 8 months ago #12378
What you said about the wiring does make sense, although trees have sap year round? I currently keep my ficus outside, as when it was sold to me I was told I should keep it outside until it starts to get cold (around October here, usually.) I am wondering how long I should let it grow before I attempt to do anything to it, however.

I took some pictures of my tree's roots. In the first one you can see how they have begun to grow up against the edge of the pot, and in the second, you can see the smaller roots have begun to lift out of the ground.
by moondragon

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Walmart Bonsai Tree Help?

Posted 9 years 7 months ago #12389
You ficus is way past their due-for-repot-date.

Problem is.. It feels like you do not have a lot of experience with plants. Do you have a club close by that you could visit and/or contact? Maybe find someone who has does this before?

repotting is not rocket science. But the root-trim this one requires is such that you might be better of having someone help you..

Ficus being a triopical tree, it is not bound to the regular seasons for repotting wiring and trimming. It grows year round in flushes. Basically, repot when not in a flush of growth.I trim ficus when I feel like it.
by leatherback

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 9 years 7 months ago #12395
There is more sap flow in winter. I did not go to a club (that is why i still needa lot kf catching up to do) but i learnt the basics really well from a book

Th complete practical encyclopedia of bonsai

Brilliant book.
by bob