TOPIC:

Walmart Bonsai Tree Help? 9 years 7 months ago #12397

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

but i learnt the basics really well from a book

lol

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Walmart Bonsai Tree Help? 9 years 7 months ago #12407

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

There is more sap flow in winter. I did not go to a club (that is why i still needa lot kf catching up to do) but i learnt the basics really well from a book

Read the book again. If it sais plants have more sapflow in winter, toss the book away.

Walmart Bonsai Tree Help? 9 years 7 months ago #12408

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 175
sorry i meant summer not winter, my error. as you see i have a lot of spelling errors this is due to me having a small phone with smaller letter keypads.

Last edit: Post by bob.

Walmart Bonsai Tree Help? 9 years 7 months ago #12411

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

sorry i meant summer not winter, my error. as you see i have a lot of spelling errors this is due to me having a small phone with smaller letter keypads.

I see. I understand. Summer, Winter.. It's just 4 letters spelt wrongly.

Last edit: Post by Auk. Reason: correcting a spelling error

Walmart Bonsai Tree Help? 9 years 7 months ago #12412

• moondragon
  • moondragon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 3
You would be correct, I do not have much experience with plants at all. That is why I have been asking you all so many questions :D I will watch videos on youtube, and my boyfriend's mom grows a huge flower garden and whatnot, I'll ask her about it, maybe.

Should I buy a new pot? Or keep this one? If I get a larger pot, maybe my tree's trunk and branches will get thicker?

Also, is it okay to repot near the end of summer?

Thank you very much!

Walmart Bonsai Tree Help? 9 years 7 months ago #12413

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

winter / winner / sinner / simmer / summer I can see how autocorrect would come to winter if you try to type summer.

Easy solution. Stop typing.

Walmart Bonsai Tree Help? 9 years 7 months ago #12416

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
i did type winter it is one of those times when you mind gets a bit confused and you type it in a hurry. I meant i spell things wrong like this:

Hekllo or
Thankytou

Basically when my finger misses a letter or adds another due to the keypad being small.

Walmart Bonsai Tree Help? 9 years 7 months ago #12417

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

You would be correct, I do not have much experience with plants at all. That is why I have been asking you all so many questions :D I will watch videos on youtube, and my boyfriend's mom grows a huge flower garden and whatnot, I'll ask her about it, maybe.

Should I buy a new pot? Or keep this one? If I get a larger pot, maybe my tree's trunk and branches will get thicker?

Also, is it okay to repot near the end of summer?

Thank you very much!

i would not advise it i know you are scared the tree is very pot bound and may die but if you do it in the end of summer it may die from you repotting it rather than it dying from being pot bound. but to be safe i would wait to clarify it with auk or leatherback because they know more than me.

Walmart Bonsai Tree Help? 9 years 7 months ago #12418

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

i would wait to clarify it with auk or leatherback because they know more than me.

You could read LB's posts once in a while - who by the way knows more about ficuses than I do.
I think LB wrote this is a subtropical so winter/summer are irrelevant.

[edit]
Found it...

Ficus being a triopical tree, it is not bound to the regular seasons for repotting wiring and trimming. It grows year round in flushes. Basically, repot when not in a flush of growth.

The following user(s) said Thank You: moondragon

Last edit: Post by Auk.

Walmart Bonsai Tree Help? 9 years 7 months ago #12419

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
ok i never knew that, cool fact LB (i am going blind (metaphorically), i could not see it scanning through the last few pages) just out of interest how do you know when you get these flushes of growth (apart from the obvious fact of it growing) and how do you know when it has stopped for example, what if this happened:

some guy, lets call him guy, saw that his ficus was not growing, but was not sure so measured it and regulated its growth etc. and after all that, which took a week or so due to him seeing and measuring whether it was growing or not, he worked out that it was not growing, then he spent two days preparing to repot and on the second day out of those two days he noticed a few new leaves poping up-it had started to grow again/had another growth flush.

this probably is a silly question but my dumb curiosity got hold of me.