Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

Walmart Bonsai Tree Help? 9 years 7 months ago #12456

• moondragon
  • moondragon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 3
Awesome, thank you! I do have something that will work in place of a root hook then.

I think I want to buy a new pot, just because I do not think the blue pot suits my tree very well. I also want one a bit larger because I would like my tree a bit bigger. I've read up on soil ingredients, I think I am going to add some course sand.

In reference to colors, should I use an earth tone? I was thinking of either a beige, brown, tan, or orangish-brown color.

In reference to shape, I was thinking oval or rectangle with rounded edges?

And then, is it worth it for me to pay the extra $10 for a pot that comes with a drip/humidity tray?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Walmart Bonsai Tree Help? 9 years 7 months ago #12461

• moondragon
I was doing research, and rather than mixing my own soil I was wondering if it would be okay for me to buy this or something similar: bonsaioutlet.com/bonsai-tree-soil-tropic...dtNaWxKMvxoCxOHw_wcB

It even lists the ingredients.

Also would this pot look okay with my plant or would a different color/style be more suiting? I have read that it is a very important part of your tree presentation: www.bonsaiboy.com/catalog/product7294.html

I am buying it a bit large so that my tree can grow a bit, as I would prefer it to. I like that it comes with a wire and the drain holes covered because I did not have these materials at home. But they have other colors or styles if that would look better?

Also would it be okay for me to buy one with a built in humidity tray, or is it better to buy one seperately, if at all?

Last edit: Post by moondragon.

Walmart Bonsai Tree Help? 9 years 7 months ago #12464

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
hi,

All the questions you ask.. I think the answers depend a little on what future you see for this plant and yourself with regards to bonsai. If you are looking for a nice plant to keep indoors that looks nice, then just put it in whichever pot you like and take care of this plant as a regular housplant. Ficus can be grown very easily using just a normal pot, potting soil etc.

If you however have ambition to grow it in a full-blown bonsai, say something like at artofbonsai.org/galleries/

then different steps should be taken.

So basically: Are you after a houseplant, or do you want to start growing bonsai?

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Walmart Bonsai Tree Help? 9 years 7 months ago #12465

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 175
The soil i would sY it would be ok but add a layer of grit in the bottom of the pot.

Walmart Bonsai Tree Help? 9 years 7 months ago #12466

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

I think I want to buy a new pot, just because I do not think the blue pot suits my tree very well.

New pot, new soil, pruning and all... again:
Bonsai is patience. You are quite eager to do things, but to me it seems you want to do too much.
First make the plant thrive, then start thinking about shaping it.

Walmart Bonsai Tree Help? 9 years 7 months ago #12467

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I would go blue earth tones are for mainly for conifers but you can still get an earth tone pot. As for style i would suggest banyan as in the photo leatherback had posted it will take long but wil be epic due to this style being unique to the ficus'. But first see what other styles you want or research the one you want and how to create it.

Walmart Bonsai Tree Help? 9 years 7 months ago #12468

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
But as auk said let it thrive but while you let it thrive, plan.

Walmart Bonsai Tree Help? 9 years 7 months ago #12471

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

The soil i would sY it would be ok but add a layer of grit in the bottom of the pot.

The soil is a rip-off.
Grit in the bottom of the pot/ why?

Walmart Bonsai Tree Help? 9 years 7 months ago #12473

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Grit in the bottom of the pot/ why?

This is a known technique but I think it is no longer done by experienced growers. The idea was it would make the water drain better. Actually, I've read it doesn't work - or doesn't work as expected - water will travel up from the larger pores to the smaller ones above them (capillary function). I don't know if that's true and wasn't really interested in researching that further.

Long read (which I actually still have not read completely yet as it is... long :) ) about repotting:

www.kaizenbonsai.com/shop/repotting_guide.php

"Using a foundation of coarser soil in the bottom of a bonsai pot is popular. In theory this will work well. Increasing pore size reduces capillary rise. In practice the effects are of limited value. As already stated tree roots dive quickly to the bottom and outside of the pot and will fill the nice large pore spaces in the soil first and quickly. They will then progressively fill the spaces back towards the middle of the root ball. There is also a tendency for fine particles and silt within the soil to wash down into the bottom of the pot. Whilst it is personal preference I tend not to use a drainage layer. Having a well prepared soil of uniform consistency promotes more even rooting throughout the pot and, goes some way to preventing wet or dry pockets."

(as the soil will have a bigger capillary force then the courser soil or gravel under it, the earlier statement does seem to make some sense...)

Last edit: Post by Auk.

Walmart Bonsai Tree Help? 9 years 7 months ago #12481

• moondragon
I was hoping to take the time to grow the tree into a full bonsai. I was not planning on pruning or wiring after I repot, just letting it grow bigger before I do any of that, but as you said it is getting root-bound, and it is going to take some time for me to collect the proper potting materials as is. I was planning on making that my first step, if you think that is a good idea?

After that, what would be your reccomendations? I was hoping to have the tree look sort of like this: wfpquantum.s3.amazonaws.com/images/homes/articles/ultra/4ud386mh8dhwqb3wxsl6-675787.jpg

If that is okay for ficus?

So then, in my soil mix, if it is not worth it for me to buy, what all ingredients are reccomended?

Last edit: Post by moondragon.