TOPIC:

wisteria question 12 years 8 months ago #888

• hein
  • hein's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 2
Hey hey hey.

I bought a Wisteria a few months back. Don't know the exact species. So anyway. I bought it and planted it in my garden to thicken the trunk a little bit. After a month or so I started seeing it wasn't doing to good. It started losing leaves and it looked all sickly. I googled and found that they like a lot of water, but that didn't help.

I tried everything, but it just didn't work. So I left it there where it was planted thinking that maybe its just shocked and that it will get better later. another month passed and by this time it dropped ALL its leafs. I dug it up and planted it in a better, more sunny position. Its been 3 months now and NOTHING. No leafs nothing. The tree is still alive cause I scratch it every now and then to see whether there is some greem under the bark.

Can anyone please shed some light on this. Is Wisteria deciduous?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: wisteria question 12 years 8 months ago #895

• BassandBonsai
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 0
OMG I love wisteria! I've been wanting to get one for some time but it has been "shelved" in favor of pursuing some decent tools. Do you think you could post some pictures? Your wisteria might be suffering from a fungus or some kind of insect infestation. Did you see anything out of the ordinary when you dug it up?
Yes they are deciduous. If it is winter or close to winter where you are, they do become dormant when it gets cold, so I would wait until next spring before doing anything else. If it is really weak it might not flower next year, but wisteria are incredibly aggressive and will recover relatively quickly.
Also, if possible, you might want to go back to wherever you got the plant to determine the exact species and get advice from the previous owner.

Re: wisteria question 12 years 8 months ago #897

• hein
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Your wisteria might be suffering from a fungus or some kind of insect infestation. Did you see anything out of the ordinary when you dug it up?

Also, if possible, you might want to go back to wherever you got the plant to determine the exact species and get advice from the previous owner.

No I didn't see anything out of ordinary.

Going back to the place I got it is possible, but..........

Let me paint you a picture:

I live in the western cape in south africa, and in the western cape is asmall town called Wellington. A beautifull little town. Surrounded by beautifull mountains with breathtaking passes that lead through the mountain to another town.

Just outside Wellington is a okay I guess nursery that sells food and all the normal stuff. Now... Its was at this place I bought the Wisteria. Their trees are stupid cheap but the material is as raw as they can come. The only problem with nursery is that they just don't care about their trees. And when it comes to getting info from them its even worse. There is a lady that knows her story around trees but when you ask for some info she almost bites you when anwering.

So really don't wanna go back.I will rather post some pics for you as soon as the tree starts getting leaves. Maybe you can then tell me which one it is.

Re: wisteria question 12 years 8 months ago #932

• BassandBonsai
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
It's too bad that you don't have a good nursery, but if it truly is a wisteria then you don't have all that much to worry about... yet. These trees have a habit of growing roots strong enough to crack concrete, and you have to be VERY careful once it starts putting out seeds, or you may find your yard overcome! But seriously, wait until next spring before you do anything else. Hopefully it'll make it through the winter.

Re: wisteria question 12 years 8 months ago #933

• hein
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Well the tree has comes this far so I guess/hope it will make this winter. Luckily we are going into our last month of winter. So the. Worst is over.

Can't wait till tree starts budding again. Its soooo beautifull.

Re: wisteria question 12 years 8 months ago #934

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7
Hello Hein,

I know nothing about Wisteria however, I googled and found this link. www.portkellsnurseries.com/?id=wisteriacare. There are also many other links you could check out as well and try google "images" Wisteria to identify your particular plant. Researching and getting to know your plant is very important. Hope this helps. :)

Leslie

Re: wisteria question 12 years 8 months ago #936

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7
Here is another link for Wisteria from our own website here.
www.bonsaiempire.com/tree-species/wisteria Good luck!

Leslie

Re: wisteria question 12 years 8 months ago #940

• hein
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Thanx Leslie

I will take a look and see if I can identify my tree.

Re: wisteria question 12 years 7 months ago #1321

• hein
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Hey everyone. Some time has gone by and all my trees are showing signs of life, except the wisteria. Its still green when some bark is scratched.

Does the wisteria start growing later than other trees?

Re: wisteria question 12 years 7 months ago #1324

• BassandBonsai
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
I'm not entirely sure, but if it's still green I wouldn't worry too much about it. You could possibly try a fertilizer, but I would still wait awhile to make sure it's not just a little late. Also, if you aren't getting a whole lot of rain, or if the temperature still gets cold at night, that might be affecting it. How has the weather been?