Bonsai forum

Mugo pine styling.

• Tropfrog
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1359

Replied by Tropfrog on topic Mugo pine styling.

Posted 4 years 5 months ago #53883
Of cource every body is welcome to ship in. Did i make a big misstake shopping the trunk. Because that is grow and cut method not suitable for pines?

It looks healthy still and I am preparing for winter now. The last days have been heavy raining and my garden have turned to a mud pit. Not really suppriced, that is how it is like every year by this time. But it is time to protect the trees from Rain. And so much more to do. After early spring the busiest time.

Br
Magnus
by Tropfrog

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic Mugo pine styling.

Posted 4 years 5 months ago #53891

Tropfrog wrote: Of cource every body is welcome to ship in. Did i make a big misstake shopping the trunk. Because that is grow and cut method not suitable for pines?

Cut and grow technique is less suitable for pines. What you did however is not cut and growth technique.
by Auk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tropfrog

• Tropfrog
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 4 years 5 months ago #53892
Thanks a lot Auk. I really appreciate it.

So I didnt mess up totally?

Br
Magnus
by Tropfrog

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 4 years 5 months ago #53893

Tropfrog wrote: So I didnt mess up totally?

No, you didn't. Can't tell you what you could have done better as I cannot see the tree from all angles.
by Auk

• Tropfrog
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 4 years 5 months ago #53905

Auk wrote:

Tropfrog wrote: So I didnt mess up totally?

No, you didn't. Can't tell you what you could have done better as I cannot see the tree from all angles.

Unfortunattely my camera has died. Needs to repaire it. Otherwise I would get photos from all sides request. But really, I do think that I have shoosen the front. Isnt the front the perspective to use to make desicions from?

Yea, I know....I am a terrible photografer. But it seems like it is still possible to get good input. Just not this time. Happy that I didnt mess up totally this time. Would be the first time for this tree. Makes me happy.

Br
Magnus
by Tropfrog

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 4 years 5 months ago #53909

Tropfrog wrote: But really, I do think that I have shoosen the front. Isnt the front the perspective to use to make desicions from?

Yea, I know....I am a terrible photografer. But it seems like it is still possible to get good input. Just not this time. Happy that I didnt mess up totally this time.

Can't say if you've made the best decisions, but that doesn't mean you have completely messed up. You still have branches, a top, and it's alive. Sometimes a decision leads to a new view, new insights and a change of plans.

Not being focussed enough, I recently broke an important low branch on a white pine. Thought that messed the tree up completely. It didn't, I still had enough material on that branch to re-shape it. It is going to take time and growth though... but while more than half of the branch was lost, it appeared to be not a disaster.

Let me rephrase what you write a bit: Yes, the front is an important part of the decision making process.
by Auk

• Tropfrog
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 4 years 5 months ago #53912
Great, Thanks a lot!

I have a Hard time understaanding the "best option" approach used in the hobby. In my mind that is like asking what is The best car. There are really not one answers. I guess that is something I will understand going forward.

Br
Magnus
by Tropfrog

• Tropfrog
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 2 years 10 months ago #69063
After two growing seasons and two decandelling sessions there are a few backbuds closer to the trunk. I have not jet decided a future for this tree.

It is a variety I would never buy with current knowledge, but it is my first tree in pot and I will never give up on it. I have done so many beginners misstakes on it so it might never be an amazing tree. But I like it anyway.
This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.
Last Edit:2 years 10 months ago by Tropfrog

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 2 years 10 months ago by Tropfrog.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AlexanderDayne

• lucR
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 487

Replied by lucR on topic Mugo pine styling.

Posted 2 years 10 months ago #69064
I can see a bonsai in there. Remember to become credible as an old tree it takes time/ aging . It’s still young, give it time, it will be ok.

Looking at it again I would let one of the lowest branches grow freely as sacrifice branch. That would thicken up the trunk faster.
Last Edit:2 years 10 months ago by lucR
Last edit: 2 years 10 months ago by lucR.

• Tropfrog
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 2 years 10 months ago #69065
Thanks lucr. I have no plan to prune anything this or next year. Maybe repotting after that. Then take further decitions from there.

If going for the smaller sizes in the future, there are a new candle growing on the trunk in the mid of the photo left growing that might be the future trunk. In that case all above will be sacrificed in a few years.
by Tropfrog