Bonsai forum

Mugo pine styling.

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Mugo pine styling.

Posted 2 years 10 months ago #69069

lucR wrote: Looking at it again I would let one of the lowest branches grow freely as sacrifice branch. That would thicken up the trunk faster.

As an alternative, one could let the top grow out. Let that power through for 2-4 years and the trunk would triple in size, removing a lot of problems (such as disbalance between branch and trunk thichness). I think a choice would be needed nowish what is the main trunk (tall of short) and work towards that.

I think it would be good to revisit the bonsai4me page on mugo. It is still possible to get backbudding on the branches, which I think you will need to build a tree out of this.
by leatherback

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tropfrog
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1361

Replied by Tropfrog on topic Mugo pine styling.

Posted 2 years 10 months ago #69070
Thanks lb. Yes, I agree on potential of backbudding. The bud in the center of the picture has grown this year from old wood were needles has been removed. There are buds on almost every branch that has grown from bare wood as well, althou not all visible on the photo.

Since this variety is soo slow growing and backbudding quite good I lean towards a smaller size tree with that bud of the trunk as new leader. Would add good taper as well (I think). But your suggestion is not yet out of the question.

I am sure that yin of the old top needs too go. It really adds nothing to any design option in my opinion.
Last Edit:2 years 10 months ago by Tropfrog
Last edit: 2 years 10 months ago by Tropfrog.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.