Bonsai forum

Bone meal as fertiliser??

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Bone meal as fertiliser??

Posted 7 years 1 month ago #29910
Harry, I litterally use whatever is on sale. I have several brands of fertilizer. Fluid, organic, you name it.
I try to not overthink it. In the end, you need to get the tree the basic nutrients it needs. And in the right form for the termperature. Besides that, I do not really think about it.
by leatherback
The following user(s) said Thank You: Harry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Harry
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 2

Replied by Harry on topic Bone meal as fertiliser??

Posted 7 years 1 month ago #29930
Brilliant :) thank you, I'll start experimenting.
by Harry

• spacewood
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 113

Replied by spacewood on topic Bone meal as fertiliser??

Posted 7 years 1 month ago #29931
While was watching a video on Bonsai, guy on the video used a 10-10-10 fettilizer in order to boost roots and foliage after hard pruning and repotting grown tree (microcarpa) into smaller pot for bonsai. As got curious on this 10 10 10 booster, looked and found an article giving some explanations on fertilizing in general as well how good is 10 10 10, and so decided to share here.

www.smilinggardener.com/organic-fertiliz...10-10-10-fertilizer/
by spacewood

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic Bone meal as fertiliser??

Posted 7 years 1 month ago #29938

spacewood wrote: While was watching a video on Bonsai, guy on the video used a 10-10-10 fettilizer

I think you need to read up a bit on fertilizers. Research NPK levels.

10-10-10 fertilizer is just fertilizer with N,P and K in equal amounts. Essentially, it's the same as 20-20-20.
10-10-10 doesn't tell anything about how the N,P,K are made available and what other elements the fertilizer contains - so thanks for sharing, but it does not really mean that much.
There are different fertilizers with different NPK levels. Some recommend to use PK fertilizer (so, with low or no N) in specific periods / specific stage of the plant / type of plant. Personally, I hardly watch these levels and give the same fertilizer throughout the year.
Last Edit:7 years 1 month ago by Auk
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by Auk.

• spacewood
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 7 years 1 month ago #29939

Auk wrote: I think you need to read up a bit on fertilizers. Research NPK levels

Well, its what I am actually doing. The article I shared would not serve for advanced like you. More for me and starters like me. It briefly covers some general topics about fertilizing. I surely have to read more, having in mind that fertilizing is probably a discipline agricultural experts study in the universities and institutes.
by spacewood

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 7 years 1 month ago #29941

spacewood wrote: Well, its what I am actually doing. The article I shared would not serve for advanced like you. More for me and starters like me.

Your post doesn't serve starters either.

• spacewood
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 7 years 1 month ago #29948

Auk wrote:

spacewood wrote: Well, its what I am actually doing. The article I shared would not serve for advanced like you. More for me and starters like me.

I start thinking you are doing this on purpose.
by spacewood

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 7 years 1 month ago #29949

spacewood wrote:

Auk wrote:

I start thinking you are doing this on purpose.

How does your post serve starters? You're posting something you just found somewhere without understanding what it is about.
You're calling it "10-10-10 booster" as if "10-10-10" it is some kind of miracle potion, while "10-10-10" is not a brand, it is just ordinary fertilizer - with certain NPK levels. The article is about gardening, not about bonsai. Bonsai care is distinctly different.
How does it serve a starter to know there exists fertilizer with 10-10-10 NPK levels? They only need to know they need to fertilize.
If you really want to tell something about NPK levels, look at this very website:

www.bonsaiempire.com/basics/bonsai-care/fertilizing

"during the early spring time use a fertilizer with a relatively high Nitrogen content (something like NPK 12:6:6) to boost the tree’s growth. During the summer use a more balanced fertilizer (like NPK 10:10:10) while during the autumn use a fertilizer to harden off the tree for the coming winter (like NPK 3:10:10). "
Don't take the above for granted, read the whole article. Note that I don't care about these levels,I just fertilize what I have.

Also note it says:
"The mentioned NPK values are ratios, meaning 5:5:5 is in fact no different from 10:10:10" (or 20-20-20, as I wrote).

It's good to try and answer questions, to do research, and learn along the way. However, it's not always good if you place answers in the wrong context, or without understanding the subject. In this case, it will do no harm. In other cases, it might.

• spacewood
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 7 years 1 month ago #29951
Its not 10 10 10 the point here. Article explains what it is in fact and also gives basic guides such as, quote:

1. Fertilizer Labels
2. What Is A Complete Fertilizer?
3. How Much Of Each Nutrient Does A Plant Need?

Now, its not totally up to the initial topic of this post here, still it tells things on fertilizing. To me, its a useful knowledge for beginners.

I much respect your knowledge, as well few other guys hete. I know you are able to provide meaningful content. However I am still not sure on which occasions. You kind of pick where, what and who.

Point is you usually come after my posts pointing finger like I am totally detached and completely out of touch. I start to take this personal without good explanation of why you do it. Not to mention the troll like attitude, to me.

I am enough with this kind of spamming, so leaving it all to you.
by spacewood

• spacewood
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 7 years 1 month ago #29952
And by the way, reading this:

Now, onto your specific questions. 10 10 10 fertilizer is not the same as .1-.1-.1. It contains 100 times more total nitrogen, available phosphate and soluble potash.

makes statement:

The mentioned NPK values are ratios, meaning 5:5:5 is in fact no different from 10:10:10 etc.

confusing or not fully explaining.

As apparently this not only shows ratio, but levels as well.

Should I also point occasions when it was said on this forum here that using regular fertilizer is same as using "bonsai" fertilizer?

Another quote from you:

They only need to know they need to fertilize.

Is this how you understand the beginners? Dumb heads who only need basic tells like: No you do this, or you do that, and don't care why and what?

I don't like where this discussion is going but I don't like being played like little doggy either. You either teach us from your experience or don't treat guys like me like non sense idiots. Nothing more to add really.

Peace and love.
Last Edit:7 years 1 month ago by spacewood
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by spacewood.