Bonsai forum

Bone meal as fertiliser??

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic Bone meal as fertiliser??

Posted 7 years 1 month ago #29953

spacewood wrote:

Now, onto your specific questions. 10 10 10 fertilizer is not the same as .1-.1-.1. It contains 100 times more total nitrogen, available phosphate and soluble potash.

makes statement:

The mentioned NPK values are ratios, meaning 5:5:5 is in fact no different from 10:10:10 etc.

confusing or not fully explaining.

Probably a typo. It is the relative amounts that are equal. If you have 10-10-10 the relative amounts of each part is the same as in 20-20-20, which would be twice as "strong".
However, as said, there is more to it. It's not just the NPK you need, and it depends in what form N, P and K are available. Potassium Permanganate would contain the K part - but that doesn't mean it's the right stuff.

Should I also point occasions when it was said on this forum here that using regular fertilizer is same as using "bonsai" fertilizer?

That is correct. Fertilizer is fertilizer. I have some stuff my son made at school. It's 20-20-20, supposed to be used on Lathyrus. It will work fine on bonsai too.

They only need to know they need to fertilize.

Is this how you understand the beginners? Dumb heads who only need basic tells like: No you do this, or you do that, and don't care why and what?

No. This would be the first step: understand you need to fertilize. There is no need to explain NPK levels to beginners.
You wouldn't explain race tracks and optimal racing lines to someone who is trying to get a drivers license. You need to learn the basics first before you start with the advanced stuff. You learn step by step.

I don't like where this discussion is going but I don't like being played like little doggy either. You either teach us from your experience or don't treat guys like me like non sense idiots. Nothing more to add really.

Being my blunt self: the issue is that it is not me trying to teach, but you, while you only just started, who is copy/pasting other people's replies and info you find in Google out of context
Last Edit:7 years 1 month ago by Auk
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by Auk.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Bone meal as fertiliser??

Posted 7 years 1 month ago #29955

Auk wrote: Being my blunt self: the issue is that it is not me trying to teach, but you, while you only just started, who is copy/pasting other people's replies and info you find in Google out of context

Have been trying to make this point in the past, not certain how to make it. Do agree though.

Another thing is also happening. Different teaching/learning styles in the world. In the Netherlands teaching is very much based on: Teaching to find information, rather than telling what the information is. The old adagio "Learn a person to fish, so (s)he can eat for the rest of its life". I get the feeling you are more into "I will give you all the information you need". Which is a fundamentally different approach to teaching and learning.
by leatherback

• spacewood
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 113

Replied by spacewood on topic Bone meal as fertiliser??

Posted 7 years 1 month ago #29956

Being my blunt self: the issue is that it is not me trying to teach, but you, while you only just started, who is copy/pasting other people's replies and info you find in Google out of context

Can you please point me which replies specifically I copy/paste? I do copy/paste information and knowledge I have already found over Internet but only when I understand the content and source is valid. I rarely use Google by the way. I never tried to teach anyone here or sound like expert. I always point that I only share what I have found and note if it is not confirmed by my own experience. Yet, sometimes I may be not correct or not spot on but who is always right at the end? We all do mistakes and its part of the process, learning from mistakes is actually good part of it. I hold big respect for your knowledge and experience, though I dont feel you have any respect to beginners, at least I dont see it. I guess you never been beginner, the only explanation that comes to my mind.

Another thing is also happening. Different teaching/learning styles in the world. In the Netherlands teaching is very much based on: Teaching to find information, rather than telling what the information is. The old adagio "Learn a person to fish, so (s)he can eat for the rest of its life". I get the feeling you are more into "I will give you all the information you need". Which is a fundamentally different approach to teaching and learning.

I agree with you. Best way is to learn on your own and from your own mistakes. But is there ever apprentice without master? Many people here, like me, dont have their own mentor or dont have access to Bonsai clubs to communicate and learn. We are on forum here and we share experience and know-how to each other, without following rankings or strict rules like we do in ordinary school, lets say. This is my understanding for such places.

At the end, I would say sorry for each time I posted something incorrect or was off topic, it was not intentionally and only driven by good will and friendly attitude. My understanding is that we are all here only to help each other and share together the passion for trees and Bonsai.

Keep up and may the force be with you.
by spacewood

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 7 years 1 month ago #29957

spacewood wrote: Can you please point me which replies specifically I copy/paste?

It's not exactly copy/pasting, but repeating replies you saw from others, in a different context. I do not really want to go into details, would take too much time and isn't really all that useful.

You're eager to learn and you're picking up a lot. As said, trying to answer questions is a way to make you do research to check your own replies.
That's a positive thing.
by Auk

• Enaisio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 67

Replied by Enaisio on topic Bone meal as fertiliser??

Posted 7 years 1 month ago #30139
I have just realized a similarity between a bonsai artist creating a bonsai and bonsai artist teaching a newbie .
First of all
-The material , either from the wild or nursery , is repotted and ready to start its long training or die in the process.
-The newbie is made to understand that his ficus ginseng is not a bonsai and will never be one , so (s)he is put on the right track to becoming a bonsai artist or put off the whole idea.
Second
-The material , which is now trained in its shallow pot, is pruned , carved and wired to one day become a bonsai or die in the process .
-The newbie has bought more material most of which still not good for bonsai but something to work with, he will receive many helpfull hints ,which will get him closer to being a bonsai artist , and many disappointing comment which might make him reconsider abandoning.
Last of all
- The material has been pruned , repotted , rewired and recarved and is now a fullyfledged bonsai .
-The newbie has practiced , taken the best from all the advice that was given to him and never gave up , he is now ready to create his first real bonsai .
by Enaisio

• Enaisio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 7 years 1 month ago #30140
Ps: the newbie in this story is inspired by me lol
by Enaisio

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 7 years 1 month ago #30143

Enaisio wrote: - The material has been pruned , repotted , rewired and recarved and is now a fullyfledged bonsai .
-The newbie has practiced , taken the best from all the advice that was given to him and never gave up , he is now ready to create his first real bonsai .

Indeed. In a sense, the newbie('s brain) has been rewired too :)
by Auk

• Enaisio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 7 years 1 month ago #30146
My wire is biting in :)
by Enaisio

• Bonsai Bender
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 70

Replied by Bonsai Bender on topic Bone meal as fertiliser??

Posted 7 years 1 month ago #30152
Just Don't Lose A Limb.
:cheer:
by Bonsai Bender

• Enaisio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 7 years 1 month ago #30153
Nothin superglue won't fix ;)
by Enaisio