Bonsai forum

Buying Dead Bonsai For Aquarium Use

• Dead Tree Clan
  • Thanks received: 5

Replied by Dead Tree Clan on topic Buying Dead Bonsai For Aquarium Use

Posted 5 years 9 months ago #42644

leatherback wrote:

Dead Tree Clan wrote:

Clicio wrote: We have some of the finest trees on the planet and we go to extremes to keep them healthy.

I think it would be really great if you could share your expertise on this forum! Many here are really struggling to get their trees to the next level, and most have no idea how to get from cutting or seedling tobonsai level. It would be great if you could perhaps do a post on the process involved?

Do you have some examples of the trees that you are growing?

Hi! Thanks for asking, I can't offer much in the way of instruction as this is our busiest time of year. Perhaps I can get around to that towards winter.

As far as some examples of what we've grown, here are a couple of Shimpaku Junipers, one in display pot and one (cascade) in growing pot. The other is a Cypress. The Junipers are about 48 years and the Cypress about 45 years.

Hope you enjoy!
Jim

by Dead Tree Clan

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic Buying Dead Bonsai For Aquarium Use

Posted 5 years 9 months ago #42649
Just wondering. You are a "bonsai tree nursery that has been growing and training trees for over 50 years".
Are these your best trees?
by Auk

• Madartej21
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 102

Replied by Madartej21 on topic Buying Dead Bonsai For Aquarium Use

Posted 5 years 9 months ago #42654
I have never seen or heard a reliable bonsai nursery talking about the age of their trees. Esepcially not with numbers like "about 48 years old". But its a little bit better than 48 years and 4 months and about 5 days old.
by Madartej21

• Dead Tree Clan

Posted 5 years 9 months ago #42660

Auk wrote: Just wondering. You are a "bonsai tree nursery that has been growing and training trees for over 50 years".

No, they're just a few trees of the many hundreds we stock.
by Dead Tree Clan

• Dead Tree Clan

Posted 5 years 9 months ago #42662

Madartej21 wrote: I have never seen or heard a reliable bonsai nursery talking about the age of their trees. Esepcially not with numbers like "about 48 years old". But its a little bit better than 48 years and 4 months and about 5 days old.

Two of the most important characteristics a bonsai tree has that determines it's value are shape and age. I've never heard of anyone not talking about or asking about the age of a bonsai tree.If you would like me to look up the exact records of each tree, I could do that if you were interested in purchasing one. But for the purpose of agreeing to the request of showing a few of our trees, I gave approximations.
by Dead Tree Clan

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 5 years 9 months ago #42663

Dead Tree Clan wrote:

Auk wrote: Just wondering. You are a "bonsai tree nursery that has been growing and training trees for over 50 years".

I zm sorry, but if these are really that old, I am not impressed. They lack the features trees of that age should have (I am assuming they have been in training for quite some time.

That juniper...the wiring has been done pretty badly. Look like you re-used wire from another tree?
by Auk

• Dead Tree Clan

Posted 5 years 9 months ago #42666

Auk wrote:

Dead Tree Clan wrote:

I zm sorry, but if these are really that old, I am not impressed. They lack the features trees of that age should have (I am assuming they have been in training for quite some time.

That juniper...the wiring has been done pretty badly. Look like you re-used wire from another tree?

So terribly sorry that you're not impressed considering I'm not here to impress you.

But please, educate me on what features age is supposed to produce? I'll wait.

And yes, we do reuse wire, why is that a problem?

And no, the wiring job is very well done. Please explain the problems you see? I'll wait.
by Dead Tree Clan

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 5 years 9 months ago #42668

Dead Tree Clan wrote: And no, the wiring job is very well done. Please explain the problems you see? I'll wait.

If you csn say that with a straight face it is rather pointless addressing the other issues.

The Wiring is sloppy. I do not care that you reuse wire, but you did not straighten it first and the old bends in the wire are visible. It is one of the reasons why the wiring shows gaps between the branch and the wire. The windings should be 45-60 degrees, the distance between each winding shoul be the same, but it isnt. You used one size; the wire seems too thick for the end if the branch.

Now, all this does not matter if the wire does its work and it us not going to an exhibition but please, do not claim this is very well done
by Auk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Madartej21, crent89

• Dead Tree Clan

Posted 5 years 9 months ago #42670

Auk wrote:

Dead Tree Clan wrote: And no, the wiring job is very well done. Please explain the problems you see? I'll wait.

If you csn say that with a straight face it is rather pointless addressing the other issues.

The Wiring is sloppy. I do not care that you reuse wire, but you did not straighten it first and the old bends in the wire are visible. It is one of the reasons why the wiring shows gaps between the branch and the wire. The windings should be 45-60 degrees, the distance between each winding shoul be the same, but it isnt. You used one size; the wire seems too thick for the end if the branch.

Now, all this does not matter if the wire does its work and it us not going to an exhibition but please, do not claim this is very well done

The wiring is very good and I can say that with a straight face. Copying and pasting some wiring guidelines only tells me someone is an amateur who thinks he's a know-it-all.

You claim it's pointless commenting on the "other issues" but I suspect the reason for that is you can't. However, if you really wish to be schooled, come by our nursery to learn a few things. we'll be happy to oblige and show you how it's really done. We stock over 1400 fully grown trees, so there's plenty to do here.
by Dead Tree Clan

• crent89
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 230

Replied by crent89 on topic Buying Dead Bonsai For Aquarium Use

Posted 5 years 9 months ago #42671

Dead Tree Clan wrote: Hello! My name is Jim and I am the owner of the Dead Tree Clan. We have an assortment of fully grown dead bonsai trees between the ages of 20-35 years.
Please contact me at deadtreeclan at gmail dot com for more info and pricing.

do you guys have a website for the nursery to see some of your work and trees?
by crent89